Author Topic: Time to meet the REAPER......  (Read 1572 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Time to meet the REAPER......
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »

I purchased this little 56 caliber cannon from a fellow club member last year
it's a well made scale model of a 24 pounder on a navy truck carriage,
the fellow who is building the pocket artillery asked to borrow it to get some
ideas from and make sketches of the carriage, well the next time I am over there
he say's you know the wood on that carriage looks a little anemic with all that brass
on there..... would you mind if I paint it? I said go ahead...

Well you notice it has a name on it...... that pays homage to a movie that showed that detail
on it's cannon carriages, the cannon's name pays homage to the name of a ship in another movie
O.k. guys put your thinking caps on and Name the two movies.
;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Time to meet the REAPER......
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »
no clue as to the movies, but you have answered a question with this pic.  Yes a brass / bronze tube does look good with a red carriage.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
well the cannon is from the movie master and comander.     but i dont know what the other movie is .

rick bryan

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
That's right the movie where you see the guns named is Master & Commander
the second movie for which the gun got it's name think large special effects when cannon balls
hit walls they explode in a massave ball of flame....... and there be a map involved.....Arrrrrr........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:04:56 AM »
Forget about the flicks, Allen, I happen to know that that carriage and those trucks are fashioned out of beautiful American walnut; so how could you do it, how could you go over to the dark side? :o :( :'(   I now know that Douglas and his growing army are starting to win this ongoing aesthetic war, but take heart boys, because the fat lady hasn't sung the last note yet, and we're going to take this to the mat, so just remember to keep the faith and "Hold Fast" (how's that for an M & C reference).  :) ;D :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:47:35 AM »
isnt this suitable for painting ??   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »
Doesn't look like good carriage wood to me.

Isn't the Reaper one of the ships in Pirates of the  Caribbean

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »
Doesn't look like good carriage wood to me.

Isn't the Reaper one of the ships in Pirates of the  Caribbean

You are correct sir!   ;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »
Forget about the flicks, Allen, I happen to know that that carriage and those trucks are fashioned out of beautiful American walnut; so how could you do it, how could you go over to the dark side? :o :( :'(   I now know that Douglas and his growing army are starting to win this ongoing aesthetic war, but take heart boys, because the fat lady hasn't sung the last note yet, and we're going to take this to the mat, so just remember to keep the faith and "Hold Fast" (how's that for a M & C reference).  :) ;D :D

I know they are "advertised" as "American Walnut" in truth it is some other wood probably out of Asia...
believe me I have worked in enough woods to know American walnunt and this isn't Yes I could have kept it unpainted and done a clear gloss coat on it an had it looking like a trophy cannon but I like it this
way... the fat lady may have not sung yet but the fat man IS satisfied.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »

I supose so.... ;D

No Dan that is a fine piece of Burl you have there and if you used it for one of your waxcast cannon
it would be a work of art not something needing painting.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57:17 AM »

No, that which no greater can be thought of did not fashion that for us to defile it with our latex pollutants! :o  ;)
Is that your burl, Dan?

I know they are "advertised" as "American Walnut" in truth it is some other wood probably out of Asia...
believe me I have worked in enough woods to know American walnunt and this isn't Yes I could have kept it unpainted and done a clear gloss coat on it an had it looking like a trophy cannon but I like it this
way... the fat lady may have not sung yet but the fat man IS satisfied.

I can't say what kind of wood the newer versions of this model kit are provided with, but the older models that were made by "Rhodes Ltd." definitely came with nicely figured walnut for the carriage, trucks, and dislpay base.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
Well, check out the wood used in the ones I put together. I got the first one in August and the last in Feb. If you'd like any specific angles, let me know. Here's the thread with the whole set.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,234784.0.html

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 01:06:37 AM »
Rayfan87,
I saved the photo you posted of your four models in order to zoom in on it, and as far as I can tell (from that picture) the wood appears to be walnut.

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 02:03:33 AM »
Well the stain I used was walnut, but it didn't change the color, just made it pop and gave it some shine.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
Rayfan87,

Your cannon look good stained as for mine I wanted a more historical look, perhaps the earlier ones
were walnut, but the man who painted it who has had years of wood working experiance working at
Colonial Williamsburg agrees with me that the wood used is some asian variety.

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
I think the whole "paint or stain" thing is just a matter if personal preference between aesthetics and historical accuracy. I prefer the looks of the stain, but if I was going for historical accuracy I'd paint.

Offline keith44

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
For me the whole paint or stain question is answered by the wood.  A piece with nice character, or some feature in the grain or the type of wood will get stained.  A piece of scrap lumber, or salvaged pallet wood will usually be painted.  Most kits seem to have cheap wood and so I painted mine.
Life member NRA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 11:07:49 AM »
Rayfan and Keith,

I want you guys to know that the great cosmic question of whether to paint, or not paint our artillery carriages has turned into kind of a running gag on this forum, so don't think that the posts you read on this topic should always be taken seriously (at times my tongue is firmly implanted in my cheek when discussing this subject).
I think that the two posts that precede this one impart a fair amount of common sense to the discussion, but at this point I must also interject that anyone caught painting Gabon ebony, bubinga, Honduran mahogany, cocobolo, etc., should be taken to the nearest tree (any variety will do) and hung up by his heels. :o :D

Offline keith44

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
If I see a nice piece of  Honduran mahogany or cocobolo, being painted I'm not likely to wait for the rope.  I have too many things that hurl projectiles at various velocities to be patient.
Life member NRA

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 12:07:46 PM »
Rayfan and Keith,

I want you guys to know that the great cosmic question of whether to paint, or not paint our artillery carriages has turned into kind of running gag on this forum, so don't think that the posts you read on this topic should always be taken seriously (at times my tongue is firmly implanted in my cheek when discussing this subject).
I think that the two posts that precede this one impart a fair amount of common sense to the discussion, but at this point I must also interject that anyone caught painting Gabon ebony, bubinga, Honduran mahogany, cocobolo, etc., should be taken to the nearest tree (any variety will do) and hung by his heels. :o :D

Does the tree have to be painted or stained? :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »
The tree should just be a regular good old natural type tree, but before he's strung up, the offender shall be entirely covered with the same type and color paint that he committed the crime with (this will aid him in contemplating his vile act as he waits to be let down).  :)

Offline keith44

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
what, just paint 'em and string 'em up by the heels, then let 'em down.  No way, break out the table top trebuches and practice chuckin' maters   ;)
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 05:17:44 AM »
If you are building a proper carriage for shooting it needs to have nice straight grain for strength and durability to stand up to repetitive fire.   No fancy figure in the wood to compromise the carriage strength.

Fancy figured wood in the carriages with shiny brass barrels and hardware have their places...properly done they can be a demonstration of a craftsman skill and a work of art.   They will make lovely desk ornaments and book stops.  I my slef would be reluctant to shoot my art work.

Frankly they remind me of those big fancy four wheel drive pick up trucks with giant tires, chrome hardware, and fancy shiney paint jobs that are often seen in parking lots. 

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
Im not really sure that I agree with you here DD
curly walnut have been used for high powered rifle stocks for well over 100 years
and its still used
so I guess that its tough enough for a ships carriage or a mortar bed also
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline keith44

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
If you are building a proper carriage for shooting it needs to have nice straight grain for strength and durability to stand up to repetitive fire.   No fancy figure in the wood to compromise the carriage strength...

Frankly they remind me of those big fancy four wheel drive pick up trucks with giant tires, chrome hardware, and fancy shiney paint jobs that are often seen in parking lots. 

True enough, there are fancy gun stocks that have a good amount of curl in the low stress areas.  As for the overly tall, chrome dipped, trucks with the over the top paint jobs.  99.9% are for show and mild street use only.  Most have been so modified that they are useless.  Same can be said for the art work only cannons.  Too structurally unsound to be anything more than show pieces.  Now if a thin layer of extra fancy wood is laminated to a structurally sound carriage, to improve the look, well now we're talking about a horse of a different color.
Life member NRA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »

Sheesh! That's kinda harsh, Douglas, I hope nobody that matters takes offense at your pronouncements. :o :P

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »

Sheesh! That's kinda harsh, Douglas, I hope nobody that matters takes offense at your pronouncements. :o :P

HEY!  Those are cool!  Monster trucks are OK!

BUT, a Hummer with wire wheels and spinners?   maybe not.  If it's a Hummer it should have bullet proof glass and armour plate!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
And an M2 on top.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
Im not really sure that I agree with you here DD
curly walnut have been used for high powered rifle stocks for well over 100 years
and its still used
so I guess that its tough enough for a ships carriage or a mortar bed also

Yes correct Dan indeed.  But it's an apples and oranges comparison.  Cannon carriages and rifle stocks are two different things.  Even then the fancy figured gun stocks are laid out so the grain of the wood is straight through the grip area for strength.  Stocks are prone to breakage with poorly running grain in that area.  Traditional Gunstocks were not painted until recent times. I can assure they are not painting fancy figured wood, but instead use good straight grained hardwoods for painted stock. 

At the peak of their evolution almost all cannon and mortar carriages were painted. The only carriage or base that I am aware of the was not painted was the  Confederate 24 .  That was due to the lack of raw materials.  They for the most part were to linseed oiled.

Bare wood is/was subject to the ravishes of the elements, especially the sun, but also mud and salt spray. The clear finishes just do not provide adequate protection. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
I'll tell you one thing, I'd just love to add this danged decked out 4x4 p/u truck to my collection, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd be firing the doggoned thing too. :)

Photo by Karl Furr

M1841 6-pounder made by Karl Furr: 22'' barrel, 1 3/8'' bore.