Author Topic: Time to meet the REAPER......  (Read 1569 times)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Time to meet the REAPER......
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
Yessir, me too!!  but please note the straight grained wood.  Oh and if you do get it, and fire it, buy semi-chrome polish by the truck load  :)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
I'll tell you one thing, I'd just love to add this danged decked out 4x4 p/u truck to my collection, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd be firing the doggoned thing too. :)

Photo by Karl Furr

M1841 6-pounder made by Karl Furr: 22'' barrel, 1 3/8'' bore.

The workmanship on this cannon is superlative!  The execution is bland and flat,. It needs accent and contrast.  If you are going to use brass metal work then you need dark wood to set the metal work off or it all just blends into a  a monotone.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
I appreciate the fact that you’re sharing such firmly held personal preferences with us, but I happen to find the subtle differences of contrast between this copper-alloy barrel and maple carriage quite pleasing to the eye, so I think that it’s reasonable to conclude that it all simply comes down to the individual observer’s tastes. 

Photo by Karl Furr

The same piece as seen from a different set of photos, and the lighting here makes the barrel appear lighter with the wood taking on a darker shade. By what you've previously said, I think that you would find the color contrasts in this pic more to your liking, but I like the more natural tone of the maple in the preceding photo (of course we don't know which photo actually represents the model more accurately). 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »
I appreciate the fact that you’re sharing such firmly held personal preferences with us, but I happen to find the subtle differences of contrast between this copper-alloy barrel and maple carriage quite pleasing to the eye, so I think that it’s reasonable to conclude that it all simply comes down to the individual observer’s tastes. 

More likely it come from the quality of the phote

Photo by Karl Furr

The same piece as seen from a different set of photos, and the lighting here makes the barrel appear lighter with the wood taking on a darker shade. By what you've previously said, I think that you would find the color contrasts in this pic more to your liking, but I like the more natural tone of the maple in the preceding photo (of course we don't know which photo actually represents the model more accurately).

Now that is much better, tremendous, You can see figured wood and you can see hardware detail and they don't all wash together.  Beautiful.

Offline projector

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
I used teak because it contrasted the brass barrel nicely, finishes well, and is a nautical material...not to mention I had it arround.  If working with a steel barrel I'd propably blue it or paint it black and use a lighter wood like ash or hickory, or paint for contrast.  A voluteer at the fort in St. Augustine told me the wood used for carriages depended on what was locally available and the finish was originally oil.  Teh oil finish would darken over time and eventually resemble paint. Their's were painted.