Author Topic: Is This Legal ???  (Read 1393 times)

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Is This Legal ???
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:19:46 AM »
Is it legal to take a 32H&R mag revolver bbl and a reamer to remove the rifling and make it a smooth bore to shoot a better pattern for snake load?? and if not remove all the rifling maybe just remove the most of it. I have a couple of extra bbls for my R73's and was just wondering. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Schmitti

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is This Legal ???
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:12:14 AM »
What do you mean by better? More open pattern? Which is what you will get if you bore out the couple thou. of an inch that you will remove when you bore the barrel out to the depth of the grooves. I'm not sure that you will get the results you would actually prefer.

I think the only way to get around the legal/illegal would be to only remove a portion of the rifling/lands from the muzzle towards the back. I believe I've seen that discussed before... don't ask me where.. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old at home.. I tend to forget the important stuff.

E
Engineer in a Hawaiian Shirt

I believe I've seen that discussed before... don't ask me where.. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old at home.. I tend to forget the important stuff

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
Make a screw in tube for one of the bbls like Thompson Center does.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question.
But I'm not real sure where would be the best either. :-[
Maybe the gunsmithing forum.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/04/041006-openletter-nfa-adding-vertical-fore-grip.html

i was looking for an answer and came across this....who'd thought you can't do that

any  way  go to the  ATF  web sight

i am pretty sure  a ''smooth'' bore  must be  18....EIGHTEEN  inches  with out special paper work

it not worth  it......this  is my ''snake gun'' .... super comanche
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=super+comanche+45-410&hl=en&authuser=0&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12321424809452123893&sa=X&ei=LsP_Ta2xHoKutwfd0aCoCQ&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAA
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:47:38 PM »
I have yet to even shoot a shot load from this one so I really don't know if it will leave a hole in the pattern at a few feet. I was just thinking if it did... being how I have a couple of extra bbls for it I would ream one . I suppose if I left a faint bit of twist it should still be legal?? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:38:27 AM »
Phat,
I'm not a lawyer, etc. etc. - you're idea about reaming "most" of the rifling but leaving a shadow behind would seem to be within legal limits - depending upon how deep you leave the grooves.
Take a look at a new or lightly used Taurus Judge - which has "legal" rifling - to get an idea of what the BATFE will accept.  The grooves in that gun are pretty shallow.  Also, some of the legal o/u derringers have very shallow rifling - my Cobra .32 (purchases NIB and has 10 rounds through it) needs to be held just the right way or the rifling is not visible.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
I really don't know if it would help or hinder to bore it out. But as you are leaning to, would leave some on the end. The feds get mad when they can't run ballistics on a pistol. There was a felon who drilled out the rifling on a  6 shooter so it couldn't be traced. They added 25 years for his gun smithing job onto his sentence.

Molon labe

Offline reliquary

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
Be careful with "removing rifling".  I'd check with the ATF and get their answer in writing before I did anything that any bureaucrat could possibly find fault with in the future.

Having said that, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.  I had a war surplus Webley in .45 ACP many years ago.  The barrel was pretty much shot out and I reamed it out a little more to where the rifling was just barely visible.  It was still erratic with my homemade shot loads.  My guess is that any twist-rifling, no matter how slight, will still swirl the pellets?

If you just absolutely have to shoot shot in this pistol, get a custom barrel with straight rifling. That should negate the swirling.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »
MAybe look into Reaming it out and having a liner with straight rifling put in. I do know some of the trick shot revolvers in the old west shows were smooth bore and fired shot loads. But that was in a better freer time.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
To do what the OP described would require first getting a NFA tax stamp to manufacture an AOW (Any Other Weapon).   It would be a $200 tax stamp, involving the same process as in making a shortbarrreled shotgun, shortbarreled rifle, suppressor, destructive device, etc.

AOW's include "smoothbore pistols" along with gadget guns and other items.

You would need a Form 1 for manufacturing, in duplicate, some passport sized photos, fingerprints, a CLEO sign-off, and the affidavit form.   However, before all of that - you would have to make sure the gun would be legal in your home state.  Some states classify smoothbore pistols as "shortbarreled shotguns" which then some of those states prohibit shortbarreled shotguns.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:05:01 AM »
Then one might check on stright rifling
If ya can see it ya can hit it !