Author Topic: Charter .44 spl  (Read 1121 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Charter .44 spl
« on: January 01, 2004, 06:26:43 AM »
I recently found an old Charter .44 with a 3" bbl, and it quickly became my favorite carry gun.  I like the authority it speaks with, plus it is much lighter than my Kimber Pro Carry.  Someone had shortened the front sight to where it shot high even with 200 gr bullets.  I talked to Ken Kelly of Mag-na-port and he said I should send it down.  I did and he called today and I will have it tomorrow.  He milled off the front sight blade, cut a slot and installed a S&W tritium dot front sight.  He also ported the barrel and refinished it satin blue.  I can hardly wait until tomorrow!  I've had several Charter guns and enjoyed them all.  They all worked and shot well, but Charter's never seemed to get the respect that they deserved.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Charter .44 spl
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 09:56:04 AM »
I was looking at a Charter arms 44 Sp. at the gun show last Sat. Our consealed carry law here in Oh. will not go into effect untill about April so I have never packed except in plain view. I have a .629 Smith that I`m going to carry, but thought that the little Charter arms gun woulg be much nicer to carry if it would hold up. I do plan on shooting a handgun alot more befor I start packing. After what you said I`ll have to look alittle closer at the Charter Arm guns. What ever I pack will be a wheel gun.

Offline 44 Man

Charter .44 spl
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 03:02:36 PM »
Glad to hear that Ohio is coming on board, I never thought that would happen.  They have been about as anti-gun as it gets!  The new Charter 2000 guns have a steel barrel shroud and weigh about 20% more than the old ones.  If that was an old Charter, it will probably only weigh half as much loaded as your 629.  Weight is good for target and hunting, but the lighter the better when you carry full time.  Of course that works against you when shooting at the range.  Charters shoot very well BUT being that light, you must have a VERY consistant grip or your groups will suffer.  A set of Pachmar compact grips will make them much more comfortable.  Most Charters I have owned shot low with the ammo I chose to carry and had to have the front sight filed down a little.  (I have mine back now and the new sight is TOO high, so I have to get the file out again!)  If you enjoy a wheel gun, I know of no better carry gun than a charter .44!  I have three of them.  (Had four but me son talked me out of one of them)  Oh, and they hold up just fine!  44 Man

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
44 sp
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 02:27:53 PM »
I never considered the charter for a small carry. No reason just spaced it off. I bought a Taurus 445, its a snubby in 44 sp I like it. It replaced a det sp colt in 38 sp. My wife has a 32hrm in a 2" from Taurus, which got my attention. As I reload for the 44mag, the special was an automatic replacement. I am trying out 200 grn fpswc and 240's hard cast.
Jim

Offline 44 Man

Charter .44 spl
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 03:17:30 PM »
I used to shoot a lot of cast bullets in .44, always enjoyed them.  (240gr cast over 6.7 gr Unique for 750 fps / 7.3 for 850)  I still shoot a lot in my SAA but not the Charter.  I found that the Charters really like jacketed bullets!  I shoot the Blazer 200gr gold dot factory for carry.  Load the same bullet (or 200 gr XTP) over 8.0 gr unique for the same effect.  It's warm but a safe load.  Had a Rossi five shot (Mag-na-port did a beautiful job on that one also!) that shot well, but I didn't see the point when the Charter was still quite a bit lighter.  You will enjoy your Taurus.  I'm hoping some day to find an old Charter in .32 Mag.  I really enjoy that cartridge also.  Use Lil'gun for that one.  44 Man

Offline Catfish

Charter .44 spl
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 06:30:16 AM »
I always liked a 240 beval based cast bullet over 6 grns. of bulleye with a Win. primer. Would get alittle over 900 out of my Ruger and over 1,000 fps. form my El Dorado.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Charter .44 spl
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 07:17:43 AM »
44man "Charter's never seemed to get the respect that they deserved."

Do you happen to remember when Charter Arms was an up and coming company, and just about when they were about to hit the big time, Son of Sam was in all the headlines and news media?  

It is my honest opinion that because he was using a Charter Arms 44 Bulldog, the company's popularity immediatly dropped to nearly nothing.  A lot like Tony Curtiss after the Jack the Ripper movie, never saw anything more of consequence from him either.  Seemed like the folks of the time related the product to the occurances.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline 44 Man

Charter .44 spl
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 06:29:24 AM »
Butler, you are dating yourself again!  We oldsters remember that well, but all these young fellers are saying "who?".  As I remember, he only fired one shot per person he killed and that was RNL factory.  Big bullets work don't they.  44 Man

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
32 mag
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 01:57:46 PM »
44man
The 32 mag has some good stats. my wife's has a  2" Taurus and it  is ported which works for her as she has early RA, its lite and mild, but stout. If she wouldn't inventory the armory so much,  I would get a Ruger sa in it.
Jim

Offline 44 Man

Charter .44 spl
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 06:33:56 AM »
Amen on the .32mag!  I have a 6 1/2" Ruger with a scope.  I had a really good day a couple of years ago and made a dime sized group at 30 yards over a rest.  And that was 12 shots!  Those guns are great shooters.  You can always try the old "Honey, I've had that one for years, you just havn't noticed.  Remember when I traded that old "xxxxxx" for it?"  Might work.  My wife worked 911 for several years.  When she was in training for running lein, they told her to practice on family members.  When she got home she said, "I ran you on lein, I didn't know you had that many guns!"  Oops!

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
Charter .44 spl
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 05:20:48 PM »
I like the 32H&R mag. Great little ctg and with Personal Defence hollow point ammo, is a good defense wepon.

Normaly I carry a PPK 380 in an ITP holster, now about half the time it's a  Ruger New Model Single Six in 32 H&R.  I shoot SA's usualy about 500 rds a month. I find they point better for me than any other design of pistol. At times I carry a SA in .45lc and never have felt underguned with any SA.

I feel a person should carry the gun that they personaly shoot the best and can depend on.
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Totin'a10

Comparison?
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 04:21:01 AM »
Gentlemen, how would you compare the Charter Arms to the Taurus? Assuming, of course it was a "good" Taurus. (I miss the MI woods, grew up a little south of 44man!)
What goes around comes around!!! 8)

Offline 44 Man

Charter .44 spl
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 02:44:49 AM »
Totin,  I can't say for the Taurus as I haven't owned one (yet).  They seem very well made gun and I have friends who are pleased with them.  I have never had a problem with my Charters.  All of mine are the "old" model with the lightwt barrels.  The new guns have a steel shrouded barrel and are heavier.  Wt will be the difference.  My 3" bulldog is only 16 oz empty where the new ones are 21 oz.  That makes the new ones a little more shootable as the weight will tame the recoil a little more.  I prefer the lighter gun for carry and will put up with a little more recoil.  I believe the Taurus is 28 oz in steel and 21 in titanium.  A steel Taurus should be a pleasant gun to shoot.  44 man