Author Topic: h&r 923 any info?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
h&r 923 any info?
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
it it a 9 shot 22 pistol  923 that is as much as i know what can i learn? thanks in advance.
rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: h&r 923 any info?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »
Ron,
The H&R Model 923 was produced in two (2) Model series.  1st Model - 1949-1952 - with the "Rice" type frame with a chrome plated finish.
2nd Model - 1953-1961 (discontinued) with "new" square butt frame and chrome plated finish
2nd Model - Second Issue - 1977-1979, transfer bar ignition/safety system, Nickel plated finish.
Depending upon size it could also be a "BANTAM" or a "CAMPER" model.
Your gun will be one of the above.  Without more information and serial number, that's all I can tell you.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline reliquary

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
+1 on previous poster's info.

The 922/923 series are plain, no frills, utilitarian guns.  I've owned both, still have a 923 made in 1950 and in my possession since '58 that has had thousands of rounds put through it with no trouble.  At reasonable ranges, they will dispatch pests and put small game on the table.

There are discussions of the 922 and some tidbits about the 923 in the Handgun Forums on this site:  look under Rimfire Handguns and Curio & Relic Handguns.  The guns are basically the same, in my experience.

e-gunparts.com/forums will lead you to a thread that will tell what year a particular serial number and alpha prefix was manufactured.

It would help if you could tell us more specifically what info you needed.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »
i did get a ser. no. for the h&r 923 it is no. k30188 this is a double action i think.  but there is some thing wrong with the hammer if you cock it the hammer dose not catch. but seems to cycle the cyl. just fine if you just pull the trigger.           
             rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:59:08 AM »
Ron,
Thanks for the follow-up.  Your gun was made in 1950 and is a 1st Model 7th Variation.  It should have the "old style" (Rice bird's head ) grip frame with one piece mono-grip.  This older design (derives from H&R developments in the late 1880's) has a Single Action Sear and a Double Action link.  If the hammer will not lock back - the the single action sear linkage is either broken or not present.  There should be a small "lever" in the back of the trigger guard which the trigger contacts before release of the hammer - that is the single action sear release.  These parts (a spring activated lever) connect with the rear of the trigger and slide into a notch on the hammer strut when it is cocked.  Something is amiss in there.

Take a look at the pic of one of my 923s (1950 like yours).
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012