Author Topic: My hunting Glock  (Read 7535 times)

Offline reflex264

• Trade Count: (0)
My hunting Glock
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »
I figure there may be a few more here that hunt with Glocks. This is my 21SF with 6" Storm Lake barrel, 3.5 connector, Lone Wolfe trigger housing with adjustable stop, Wolfe one piece rod and spring set, Siderlockt trigger and more junk I can't think of right now. Using the 24# spring it will shoot .45 Supers just fine. My favorite is using 185gr Noslers in a +P+ load that sends them out the barrel at 1250fps. Using this load and the 19# spring it shoots 1" groups at 25 yards. I have taken a couple of deer with it and it works great. reflex264

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: My hunting Glock
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
I can't be sure, but I think Ted Nugent hunts small game with a glock.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
Sights,-------what kind of sights? In the pic the only sight visible is the rear. It looks to be factory, say it ain't so! Nice gun, the .45 Super is easily capable of taking deer size game as far as you can reliably place you shots. Good Hunting!
Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline tunnug

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:48 PM »
Yes he does, He uses a glock 20 with a 6" barrel, he hunts deer, javalina and Texas boar, hardly small game.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:19:09 AM »
Yes he does, He uses a glock 20 with a 6" barrel, he hunts deer, javalina and Texas boar, hardly small game.
I had only seen him use his bow on those critters.  I went by the picture of him posing with his glock and a squirrel.  I like his tv shows.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline reflex264

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
I want to change the sights but haven't seen exactly what I want yet. the 185 +P+ is hiting exactly where I aim it at 25 yards. They also are correct for a 200XTP at 1045fps from the factory barrel with the 19# spring. They are slightly low with the 255gr Super loads. reflex264

Offline t-reg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
Thanks for posting reflex264, interesting project.  I've been thinking about starting a similar Glock project.  My thoughts were to start with the sights then play with springs for .45 Super capability. 

Offline team101

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »

I was in the same boat sight wise.  I pondered it for about a year and then ran across the 10-8 Performance brass bead sight.  I absolutely love them.  Polish up the brass bead and it provides a fantastic sight picture.  I installed the .140X.215 on my 20SF.

Offline Indiana Denny

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »
How about a custom Glock 20
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold an

Offline ChrisK

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:30:47 AM »
I have envy right now. I wish my state would go to a power factor instead of case length. There are a lot of good calibers that we could use. I think that they fear to many folks would stretch there range out past there limitation.

Offline Indiana Denny

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 06:05:15 AM »
You live in Indiana too
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold an

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
Way to go reflex!
I've got a Glock 20sf that I'm in the process of building into my hunting sidearm. I've already changed out the recoil spring for a 22# ISMI and their SS guide rod.
I'm waiting on a set of adjustable Dawson Precision sights, Ghost Rocket connector and springs, and a Bar-Sto barrel.
I've got a couple of loads that hit 1200 fps with the Hornady 200 XTP, this should make good deer medicine with proper shot placement.

Congrats on the deer!
GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline dantana

• LAR Grizzly 45 Winchester Magnum
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »

DanTana
TarHeel State
http://www.GrizzlyWinMag.com

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 02:15:34 AM »
Way to go reflex!
I've got a Glock 20sf that I'm in the process of building into my hunting sidearm. I've already changed out the recoil spring for a 22# ISMI and their SS guide rod.
I'm waiting on a set of adjustable Dawson Precision sights, Ghost Rocket connector and springs, and a Bar-Sto barrel.
I've got a couple of loads that hit 1200 fps with the Hornady 200 XTP, this should make good deer medicine with proper shot placement.

Congrats on the deer!
GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

I am sure you must have gotten your pieces parts by now and also had time to shoot it. How has everything worked and what would you do different.

I am doing the exact thing!  Just picked up a G20 myself. I have been watching for a good used model. I found a nearly new GEN1 Gen2 for a fair price.

Reflex,

I am a big 45 fan and this thread almost had me going that way. But my affinity for the not as common rounds won out. Also the lone hurtle in the 10mm being cost of ammo is moot as I have a couple 10's so am already set up with loading for it. Getting 1200 fps with a 200g bullet is not difficult. I like the thought of 15 of them on tap in the gun and 15 more quickly avalible, in a wilderness defensive situation. 

I have shot a couple deer with my +P 45's from both handguns and a carbine with 100% success and two DRT's. I expect no less from this new Glock.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

I am sure you must have gotten your pieces parts by now and also had time to shoot it. How has everything worked and what would you do different.

I am doing the exact thing!  Just picked up a G20 myself. I have been watching for a good used model. I found a nearly new GEN1 for a fair price.

Hey CW,
Yeah I've got it all together now and really like it. The Bar-Sto barrel shoots alot better than the factory barrel and there are no signs of the Glock smile. ;D 
I also ordered a Guides Choice Chest Holster from Diamond D Custom Leather in Alaska and it is a super nice holster for hunting.
I also ordered a 40 S&W barrel from KKM, I've got thousands of 40 brass and cast bullets and can really cut loose with my 20sf with this barrel.
The Dawson Precision adjustable sights are a huge upgrade from the factory sights and it's really nice to be able to dial your preferred load to point of aim.
I have no complaints with my 20sf, it shoots better than I expected it to, so I'm very happy with it.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »
Thanks Slu!!

I am gonna shoot it later this week and see what I have...  BUT I have plans on a 6" barrel and better sights. I have seen the Dawson sites and liked the look too... Not so sure what I will do with trigger... its a bit heavy but very clean. I gotta completely strip it and see if its got anything aft mkt... One other thing a extended slide release!  I have large hands but this is a big grip made a bit bigger with the addition of the Hogue Handall thats on it...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »

Dantana,
 Who's sites are these?

They look like the tru-glo brand... How do you like them?

I almost bought a set in Yellow... now I don't even see yellow offered...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline dantana

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
True-Glo

I love them especially in low light.
DanTana
TarHeel State

Offline dantana

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »

I average 150fps faster on every load I chrony with my 17L with the extended barrel over my friend's 17.  I actually have stopped using the CorBon lighter HPs because they fly all to pieces on impact shooting into water jugs.  It pushing them at 1650fps.
DanTana
TarHeel State

Offline reflex264

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
Glad to see there are more of us. Nice rigs gentleman. I haven't been here in a while but I am back on project Super Glock. I found this sight that I think I am going to. They have different height front sights as well so I can fine tune. Pretty soon I am going to order a bullet mold just for this application. It will throw a bullet of 50/50 around 245grs. With the 6" barrel it should launch them about 1200fps which is plenty for deer and hogs. reflex264

the sight

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1710000-1093363057

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
I found a set of the yellow TFO's  I put them on my G20.

I have a 6" KKM barrel as well as a 5.5"one Wolf ported barrel. Both shoot real well vel is real close the porting cuts a bit of the muzzle flip.

I'm working up loads.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 07:08:05 AM »
Ok I guess I'll have to throw my pic up of mine. Here she is, Lone Wolf threaded barrel with the lone wolf comp., trijicon night sights, 22lbs recoil spring with Lone wolf stainless guide rod, 3.5 rocket connector, 6lbs trigger spring, polished pin block and a vented spring cup (aka the little plastic peice that holds the striker spring it has cut outs to let air or fluid through if in that situation.) My favorite load so far is 155 xtps at 1470fps. I need to get some 180gr xtp's to try. I have had issues with plated bullets and pushing them to fast and they don't shoot worth a damn so only jacketed bullets for my g20 from here on out. The light was free so I threw it on, don't really reccomend them though.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 08:04:29 AM »
and stuff in Africa if the article I read was true.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
So basically, a longer barrel, 3.5# connector, stainless rod, stronger springs, and better sights.  And a good holster.

Then ammo suitable for the quarry.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline reflex264

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
Took it out and shot some rabbit sized rocks at 150 and 75 yards with it. The 75 yard shots are easy with this rig. reflex264

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
Took it out and shot some rabbit sized rocks at 150 and 75 yards with it. The 75 yard shots are easy with this rig. reflex264

I have done the same thing!  It is very satisfying and remarkable just how many you can hit!  10-12" sized things are no problem, 6" in serious perril with a good rest! Did you notice how little the bullet seems to drop too?

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline reflex264

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 06:32:08 AM »
Yep the bullets seem to drop much less than I anticipated. Once I figured out where to hold at 150 yards it was dead rock. On a man sized target I think it is entirely feasible to put shots right in the chest at 300 yards. I will have to try it. On cardboard that is. reflex264

Offline reflex264

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 07:10:44 AM »
Fixin to do some more work to the 21sf. I am going to drop one more pound off the trigger. That will put it at 2lbs. I am finally adding the extended slide release as well. New titanium plunger should get here next week to smooth it it a bit more. Next mod will be the addition of Dawson prescision sights. The gun is beyond shooting good. If I could get a good scope mount for it there is no doubt in my mind that I could get 1.5" 5 shot 100 yard groups with it. 10 shots off of bags at 25 yards are a ragged hole. Not bad for a plastic fantastic gun. reflex264

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
I installed a "rocket" connector and did a ".25 cent" trigger job on my 20.... I was amazed at how light and smooth the trigger was!!  VERY happy with it! IMHO it's TOO light for carry as it is. It's. Ot dangerous at all and completely reliable. Just smooth and light. Very unlike every other GLOCK trigger I have shot or handled...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Savage

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
You can actually get a pretty fair trigger on a Glock with a few aftermarket parts and a little polishing. Checked mine on my 35 today with a digital gauge, average of 10 pulls was 3.23#. Mine has the Ulimate over travel stop, reduced power firing pin safety spring, the 2.5# connector, reduced power trigger return spring, and all working surfaces treated with "Action Magic" from Brownells. It was considerably lighter with the reduced power striker spring, but had an occasional light strike. Couldn't live with that, so back to the stock one. One of the guys on my squad was bragging about the light pull weight on his Springfield 1911. His pull was just over 4#. Boy was he surprised! Not implying a Glock trigger can ever be as short and clean as a SA, but they can be made decent. For action pistol, I'm happy with the trigger on mine. Just for grins, I checked the pull on my Glock 36. It was close to 7#, just about right for it's intended purpose.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,