Author Topic: how to catch flying brass  (Read 2671 times)

Offline jacks44mag

• Trade Count: (1)
how to catch flying brass
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »
I have a 45 acp and I spend more time trying to find all my brass than I do shooting
Anyone have any tricks to catch your brass .

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: how to catch flying brass
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
Note where your gun is placing its brass, and lay down an old sheet to catch it.  If its a 1911, and the ejector is properly tuned, it should drop its brass in a fairly consistent spot.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:12:29 AM »
When I took my daughter shooting, I asked her to catch my brass. Didn't take her long to catch on.  ;D :-[ :o
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline shooter6br

• "Keep up the good fight"God bless America
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »
Use 1/2 plastic water pipe/\. Make a rectagle frame. Buy a lauadry bag ( mesh) from Wal-mart , Some zip wire ties and use got a good brass cathcher  CHEAP I have pics if you contact me It is really simple . I enjoy my Kimber Target 1911 now since I dont worry about brass loss  Shooter6br @ aol.com  (Rick)

Offline Art1

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
 I use a GI insect bar, and lay it out where the brass will be landing. Or I use a metal detector. Prefer the insect bar, I don't have to get distracted by .22 cases.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »
no good answer for you. I tried to train my dog when he was young but i guess they didnt taste good enough to interst him
blue lives matter

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »
     Again if I am planing alot of shooting I use a old golf ball net minus the net with a old sheet atached to it to stop the flying brass and if the sheet is loose enough the brass just falls down and is collected in the bottom.   HTH   Jim  ( has been posted here b-4 )

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
I've been trying to design my own in my head for some time. I had one that worked fair but it didn't weather the elemanets well.

So what I've come up with is I'm going to use an old camper frame as the bottom base so I can add an axle to make it mobil down the road.. From there either a 2x4 or possibly 4x4 corner frame about 5x8 feet, intended for 2 shooters. I will have a full wood floor and only a partial wood frame for now until I can get a little more money to finish it, But it will all be enclosed with shring wrap which will weather good, withstand the wind and winter, and make it comfortable. There will be a bench in the front for rifle shooting and a full pocket on the right side and rear to catch the brass. Full roof but covered only with shrink wrap. I'll have a couple old chairs in there and maybe a place to mount a powder measure and loading press, not sure on that yet, but I know down the road it will be and much fancier than that.

Now all of this is my design, but you could eliminate the metal frame and just use 2x4s and make a 4x4 house covered with what ever. Window screen, shring wrap or what you want, the point is you won't be searching for or losing brass anymore.

When I get mine done which I hope will be before the end of summer I will post a couple pictures. I'm still on another project right now.
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
Buy a revolver!   ;D

Seriously, if you go to a range on occasion, just spend some time picking up what's on the ground.  You're sure to pick up 100 to even 400 rounds of brass in a short period of time.  Ask the range officers if you can do this.  Many times they'll let you pick through the swept up stuff.  Remember to ASK first though!

If you loose a few hundred here or there, just make it up on a trip to the range.  That's what I do and I always have an abundance to load.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
I was given one of those 9-foot wide umbrellas that sell on Sportsman's Guide for $30-$50 (+/-).  From there I added cheap landscape "sheeting", kind of like poly-vapor barrier in concrete construction, but cheaper, that I clothes-pin to the edge of the umbrella like a drape.  It hangs down to the ground and I add some wheel weights to the bottom edge.  On the ground is laid a ground cloth.  This setup catches about 98% of the 380 ACP, 223 M-16, and 45 ACP spent brass and shields the open air range table from the sun.  Two birds with one stone concept.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »
I shoot outdoors at both a public and two private ranges. I use a 12'X15' canvas Painter's drop cloth. It covers enough area that it easily catches the brass from my 1911s and my lever carbines. Folds up and is easy to take along. Also is heavy enough that it doesn't need to be weighed down except on very windy days.  I also use it as a pad when shooting prone. Cost about $30 at a paint supply store.

Also works well as a drop cloth when painting. ;D
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Shortgun

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
I just stand next to my truck..brass lands in the bed. Easy to tote hame thata way

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 03:14:30 AM »
I used a 10'x25' piece of 4 ml poly the other day while testing out a 38 Super conversion and it worked perfectly, with all the empties landing on the plastic and all being very easily seen for recovery.  Unfortunately the poly was black, it was a hot sunny day, and empty brass on black poly gets hot quickly.  I am such a woos, but I found all my empties....

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 03:55:03 AM »
I would like to see something closer to the gun.  my last trip to the range there was a guy to my left with a browning buckmark and those things eject with power.  he didn't seem to notice where his empties went and all the tables were occupied so I had to quit and go home.  50 mile trip.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 04:37:33 AM »
I would like to see something closer to the gun.  my last trip to the range there was a guy to my left with a browning buckmark and those things eject with power.  he didn't seem to notice where his empties went and all the tables were occupied so I had to quit and go home.  50 mile trip.
The range in which I shoot has a simple solution to that problem.  They have portable netted screens that they attach to the shooting bench and it prevents ejected cartridges from hitting the next shooter over to the right.  It also helps put your empties right on your bench, in the case you want to collect them for reloading. 

I would have never called it a day if I drove 50 miles.  I would have moved or asked the shooter next to me if he/she could switch places with me.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 04:50:32 AM »
Blackhawker, a net in place would be perfect but this range is on a state owned WMA and I couldn't ask him to swap places. that would have doomed the guy on my right. the range was full that day.
now I just go to national forest land and shoot by myself.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
     I am fortunate enough to own my own range, so I just lay down a tarp, I found a 15 by 15 tarp catches most all of it.
     Woods

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
no good answer for you. I tried to train my dog when he was young but i guess they didnt taste good enough to interst him
Probably burnt his lips on one ;D