Author Topic: Mac vs. PC laptop category?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Mac vs. PC laptop category?
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »
3 years ago I got a pretty good spec laptop through a black friday deal for $350. 1.9 ghz, 3 gb memory and 250 hard drive. It is way more than I need now. The only use I have is movies, surfing net and music. The hinge on the top broke. So even though it would probably last me another 5 years with the speed, since I don't need much, it is pretty useless now for daily use. I plan to turn it into my main network computer to deal with the  wireless router. Right now a very tired old desktop is running that. The desktop was a hp, nothing but trouble, had to restore to factory countless times, replace parts and find out how to fix software issues over the phone. The laptop is a compaq which I think is the same brand. Not to many issues. I think I had to restore twice. No internals have broken down. But the top coming apart has turned me against compaq/hp since it has not been abused.

So I can get a macbook pro 2.16 ghz 4 gb ram 250 gb hard drive for $450 used (2008 model)
Also looking at a toshiba 2 ghz, 4gb ram, 500 gb hard drive for $430 new at bestbuy.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't consider paying more for a used item. But it is claimed that macs last a long time, run cooler, don't break as much and get fewer viruses. I don't want to spend $300-400 every two years to have a computer. So are the macs worth the extra money or is it just hype?
Thanks
Molon labe

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Mac vs. PC laptop category?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »
 most viruses are mainly aimed at the pc. the mac  can get a virus but it is less of a issue
it took me a lil time to learn the mac but it was well worth it to me not to have to worry about the sites i visit. here is a vote for mac.
     rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:04:53 AM »
I have a toshiba net-book because I learned windows.  however, my daughter who works for Apple compares mine to a piece of chalk and slate.  mac has a big following of computer geeks that you don't see with PCs.
get the mac.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:34:18 AM »
Its not so much that pcs get more viruses as much as windows gets more viruses.  If you run a different operating system like ubuntu, which is a linux based system, you get about as many viruses as a mac but it cost less, ubuntu is free, and it runs very similar to windows, so you dont have to learn a whole new way of using your computer like a mac. 

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:35:00 AM »
My vote is to just buy a new PC for the price of the used macbook pro.  You can get a decently spec'd PC from Wal-Mart for 400.00.  Sorry but 2008 is WAY to dated to be spending 400.00 on.

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline dks7895

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:55:05 AM »
Yes and no.... Macs are not trouble/virus free.  That is a myth.  They have their place in the market, but overkill for what your needs are.  Kinda like buying a CZ 452 to plink soda cans @ 25 yards.  Save the money and stick with a Windows based laptop.
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:10 AM »
Dell 3050 for $329 from HHGreg.  Just picked one up for travel use and it is the best deal I've had in a long time.  Intended to get a Mac but I can buy 3 of these for the same money and it serves my purposes just fine.  Just basic math.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 05:24:43 AM »
I think a windows laptop will give more bang for the buck.

Broken hinge... was this by any chance an Acer?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:59 AM »
No sir, was a compaq presario. I looked closer and not actually the hinge. The metal frame of the screen is what broke. The hinge was still good. I can prop the screen on the hinge. Honestly thinking of getting some of that epoxy stuff you see at the auto parts store that they have on display with a penny or washer stuck in it. Like JB weld but in silly putty form.

I got a mac. It was a pain in the butt to learn the OS, how to drag apps, it would not install like windows does. It had a row of dead pixels the length of the screen so I sent back. Just decided to go with a PC again instead of taking another chance on used and eating shipping. Got a lenovo ideapad with i5 2.65? goes up to 3.19 ghz in turbo. 500 gb hd and 4 gb ram. Ordered a 1TB external from ebay for 20 bucks as well as 8gb ram for 50. I am hoping this one will get me through several years. They are about 630 and had a half price sale for one day. It is a model that is certified by the military for rough use. Hoping it will be dependable for everyday use.
Molon labe

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »
No sir, was an hp pavilion.

I guessed Acer... I'd bought one in 2007, new, actually paid for the warranty (which I never do) and then when the very stiff hinge broke, they wouldn't fix it. I've a friend who got same model for his daughter, exact same thing. Junk, and Acer won't stand behind them.

I'm cheap; I've an old X41 Thinkpad, and an Inspiron 600. They'll do. I'm slow to upgrade...
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:36 AM »
I got a mac. It was a pain in the butt to learn the OS, how to drag apps,

I use a Mac at work. We needed a new computer at home and I wanted a Mac laptop. My wife was hesitant because she had no experience with a Mac. Make a long story short we bought the Mac. After my wife used it just a couple of times she fell in love with it. She said it was so much more intuitive and easier to use in general than a PC. If you do have a problem you will find Apple support to be much better than most other brands.
GuzziJohn

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:58 AM »
Yes and no.... Macs are not trouble/virus free.  That is a myth.  They have their place in the market, but overkill for what your needs are.  Kinda like buying a CZ 452 to plink soda cans @ 25 yards.  Save the money and stick with a Windows based laptop.

Hahaha!  I have a CZ452 that I plink soda cans with :D  But I bought about 10 years ago when they were really cheap.  I'm pretty amazed how much that gun of mine has gone up in value.  Long story short, I guess I should be a Mac guy ?  :D
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."