Poll

Make it legal?

Yes
31 (72.1%)
No
12 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: July 03, 2011, 06:24:33 PM

Author Topic: Ron Paul introduces bill to legalise pot,  (Read 6142 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Ron Paul introduces bill to legalise pot,
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20073545-503544.html

Besides the fact he has teamed up with Barney Fag, is he wrong?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline yellowtail3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Re: Ron Paul introduces bill to legalise pot,
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
No, he's not wrong. And teaming with Barney Frank is no shame. In politics, you work with those you can work with; it's a representative democracy and purists can be purists if they want but will rarely get things done. Barney Frank is right on this issue, righter than most Repubs.

IMHO, of course...
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:11:52 AM »
good for him but it will never pass the prohibition and penetentiary lobby's are too strong, and everyone knows money writes the rules in washington.

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:56:47 AM »
good for him but it will never pass the prohibition and penetentiary lobby's are too strong, and everyone knows money writes the rules in washington.
+1 on all of the above.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 02:45:29 AM »
I smoked a joint in 1970 and driving home I was impaired as if I had drank a 6-pack.
it DOES make you dangerous on the road.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:19:57 AM »
I smoked a joint in 1970 and driving home I was impaired as if I had drank a 6-pack.
So does eating , texting and talking on the cell phone.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:57 AM »
I will say that a few weeks ago my daughter said her boyfriend could get me some pot to help deal with my pain.   I said no because I didn't want to be responsible for him being arrested.
if it was only used at home, I would say okay. but some would abuse it.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline magooch

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »
As if this country doesn't have enough half witted dipwads running around loose already.  As if alcohol doesn't cause enough problems--we need more mind altering drugs to be made legal?  What's next--heroin, meth, crack--when is enough, enough?

I'm very sorry for people who have to live with pain, but that is no reason to codify the degradation of society.  I've seen what illicit use of drugs does and I don't like it and I will never ever vote for anyone who believes otherwise.
Swingem

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:18:11 AM »
FREEDOM  ISN'T FREE

ron paul  obviously  believes in freedom
and  he will  loose  a lot  of votes  for standing  up for freedom
those  that  want to control   other people ...........will not vote for  him

he  does  whats  right..........NOT  WHATS  "POPULAR''  TO GET VOTES

do  you believe in freedom  or  not??

it is a yes or no  question!!!!!!!!!
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline powderman

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:27:19 AM »
As if this country doesn't have enough half witted dipwads running around loose already.  As if alcohol doesn't cause enough problems--we need more mind altering drugs to be made legal?  What's next--heroin, meth, crack--when is enough, enough?

I'm very sorry for people who have to live with pain, but that is no reason to codify the degradation of society.  I've seen what illicit use of drugs does and I don't like it and I will never ever vote for anyone who believes otherwise.

YEP. I worked with a man years ago that used to argue that pot was harmless and he'd smoke a joint while we were working construction. He stepped right off a beam one day, we were 120ft in the air. Luckily he only killed himself. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline magooch

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 04:29:15 AM »
Freedom doesn't mean no limits.  There is still such a thing as common sense, responsibility and sobriety.  Remove these factors from society and you will always get chaos.  Like it, or not we live in society and that's just the way it is.
Swingem

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »
If it is legal then testing for it will be more common. More control in quality with price and taxes included. There are pros and cons . Its the abuse that harms not the product. I have never tried it nor plan to but to watch the wasted tax money being used to little effect is mind blowing. If it was taxed it could pay for its own policing.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 04:35:50 AM »
  Guess he wants to marginalize his campaign.
  When dealing with an addicting substance, a man with real character resists the tendancy to cave in to the baser instincts.
************************************************************************************88

***********************************************************************************   
..True; and that is why talking on the cell phone or texting is illegal in most jurisdictions !

Beyond that, we have a responsibility to others when we are doing potentially dangerous things such as driving, shooting or using heavy equipment, to be as alert and unimpared as we can be.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »
And those who abuse should be punished ! When we out law to make enforcement convient for police officers the rest of us lose a freedom for no good reason. Put all drunk drivers in jail for a min. of 5 years the first offence and see what happens. But no we don't want to punish to severe since those passing laws and judgement often are doing the same crimes.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 05:14:48 AM »
Shootall says;
   "  But no we don't want to punish to severe since those passing laws and judgement often are doing the same crimes."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Unfortunately, I believe Shootall is completely correct here...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:26 AM »
Shootall says;
   "  But no we don't want to punish to severe since those passing laws and judgement often are doing the same crimes."
I'm 100% for finding a way to tax only people like you and SHOOTALL for the huge cost to society of a criminal justice system top-heavy with people who committed victimless crimes.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 05:37:23 AM »
The drug laws are absolute hypocrisy. Largly based on racism, and class warfare they are in and of themselves a simple money stream for the law profession. From the beat cop through the court system, prison guard to rehab councilor, and drug cartel to international money launderer... I'm sorry banker.  Everyone gets a cut. How else can you explain the price of weed. You can't hardly kill it if it infests a farm field. A bushel or 56#s of corn is worth about $6.00 give or take You telling me an ounce of dope should demand the same amount? Lot's of money being spent greasing the skids. Brewers and distillers have been grandfathered in.

It's the dopers life to with it what he chooses. If he chooses to get high and screws up someone elses life we have laws to deal with that situation, no different than drinking and wrecking. No different than being a Dr. and leaving tools inside someone, no different than calling 911 to report an accident and causing one yourself. Sometimes the best intentions have bad outcomes should we outlaw 911 service to cell phones? If I choose to be a $7.00 an hour house painter and get baked on dope every night, who cares. Sure house painters who don't get high are getting $19.75/hr. but guess what, I likes my weed.

In the end drug laws are a tax on stupid people. If you are too stupid to understand what it is, you pay the tax. Someone is collecting the cash and they won't easily stop collecting the tax revenues.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 05:49:48 AM »
Shootall says;
I'm 100% for finding a way to tax only people like you and SHOOTALL for the huge cost to society of a criminal justice system top-heavy with people who committed victimless crimes.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sure JUNIOR.......

Tell us about "victimless" crimes..and don't think for one moment I am excusing drinking drivers..

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/pot_driving.htm

Or how about this dope-head who murders 4 people just to get some pills ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/06/22/2011-06-22_li_pharmacy_massacre_police_raid_home_in_connection_with_murder_of_four_at_haven.html?r=news

...Don't come to me with this BS about "victimless crimes"..only a fool would swallow that..
   Try telling the families of the 4 murdered innocents.. about "victimless" crime !!!

Offline coldmold

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 05:54:06 AM »
 Legalize it tax the hell out of it and make it subject to the same laws governing alcohol.

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 05:56:57 AM »

Tell us about "victimless" crimes..and don't think for one moment I am excusing drinking drivers..

I'll tell you all about them. They're acts made criminal by the state, like... owning the wrong kind of firearm, or smoking the wrong substance, or whatever it is that nanny disapproves of.

I'm uncomfortable with the legalize it and tax the hell out of it position... just because, why the tax? Why should the gov't benefit, at the expense of producers and consumers? That's a simple bit of extortion - 'we won't throw you in jail anymore, but you have to pay up, and we're not providing any service for the money we forcibly will take from you!'

state occupying same moral ground as... Tony Soprano

Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 06:00:11 AM »

I'll tell you all about them. They're acts made criminal by the state, like... owning the wrong kind of firearm, or smoking the wrong substance, or whatever it is that nanny disapproves of.

I'm uncomfortable with the legalize it and tax the hell out of it position... just because, why the tax? Why should the gov't benefit, at the expense of producers and consumers? That's a simple bit of extortion - 'we won't throw you in jail anymore, but you have to pay up, and we're not providing any service for the money we forcibly will take from you!'

state occupying same moral ground as... Tony Soprano
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like the argument of one who is addicted.. ;) ;D :o

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
  Sounds like the argument of one who is addicted.. ;) ;D :o

Really? How so? Your suggestion is... I'm addicted to... what?

So you're saying that arguing against gov't taxing something they've not business even regulating, is evidence of... addiction?

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 06:04:33 AM »
I have never smoked pot either.  I have never been drunk.  However, making it legal will allow some new taxes, control of producers as well as consumers.  Alcohol is legal yet at least 25,000 people a year are killed by drunk drivers.  How many are killed by someone on drugs? Who knows, there are no records kept on drugs and driving.  How many are killed enforcing laws against illegal drugs?  Same rules for alcohol can apply for pot.  It may be a tax neutral thing.  Right now it is costing the Feds and states a lot of money with no results.  It will help clear some court costs and jails so that real criminals can be locked up. 

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 06:09:25 AM »
   Or how about this dope-head who murders 4 people just to get some pills ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/06/22/2011-06-22_li_pharmacy_massacre_police_raid_home_in_connection_with_murder_of_four_at_haven.html?r=news

...Don't come to me with this BS about "victimless crimes"..only a fool would swallow that..
   Try telling the families of the 4 murdered innocents.. about "victimless" crime !!!

1. Murder is already illegal.
2. Read the article... I don't follow what it has to do with Barney Frank & Ron Paul's recommendation that we decriminalize marijuana, and get the state out of the prohibition business?
3. What does marijuana have to do with the crimes allegedly committed by the guy in the article you linked... what's the point?

It'll be a hard sell... waaaay too many scoundrels (LEO, lawyers, legal profession generally, etc) make bank on the way it is. Alcohol bidness would like to keep competitors at bay, too...

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 06:20:12 AM »
  Yellow says;
 "  Murder is already illegal."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Well..DUH !  It sure is, and the victims families don't get any 'warm fuzzies'..knowing the "poor killer' was addicted to drugs !

I am not concerned with old Barney, he has his own unsavory addiction..  Besides, dope is dope is dope..crap that either dulls or warps mental faculties...
  You mentioned one link but conveniently ignored tghe other one concerning the research on pot;

In any case, Ron has just shrunk any percentage of the conservative vote he hoped to get...
    But he may be angling for some of Barney's loyalists...good luck, Ron !

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 06:25:30 AM »
  Yellow says;
 "  Murder is already illegal."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Well..DUH !  It sure is, and the victims families don't get any 'warm fuzzies'..knowing the "poor killer' was addicted to drugs !
would they get some warm fuzzies if the guy's preference was for warm beer?
  You mentioned one link but conveniently ignored tghe other one concerning the research on pot;
Inconveniently, I don't read every single linked article you post.
In any case, Ron has just shrunk any percentage of the conservative vote he hoped to get...
    But he may be angling for some of Barney's loyalists...good luck, Ron !
I don't think Ron Paul is angling for the support of every idiot in the country... but is looking to further the cause of individual liberties, and put a brake on power of the state to meddle in citizens' lives.

sounds good to me.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 06:34:35 AM »
And those who abuse should be punished ! When we out law to make enforcement convient for police officers the rest of us lose a freedom for no good reason. Put all drunk drivers in jail for a min. of 5 years the first offence and see what happens. But no we don't want to punish to severe since those passing laws and judgement often are doing the same crimes.

Put all drunk drivers in jail for 5 years! Should that be a Federal law? Should the states have any say so? And if you were the judge what would you consider a drunk or impaired driver? How do you support half the population of the US (or more) behind bars?

How about we punish the guilty for their actions against others? Regardless of the sobriety or intoxication of the perp? You drive irresponsibly and take the life of someone , what difference does it make if the driver was drunk on a cell phone or just like to drive like the Indy drivers.

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 06:35:21 AM »
Yellow says;
 " would they get some warm fuzzies if the guy's preference was for warm beer?"
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You're not very observant Yellow, I have said time and again..I have no time for alcohol addicts either; especially when it comes to choosing between the addicts "fun" and the public's safety.
  Just how much impairment are you willing to accept with people driving, operating equipment, handling chemicals & explosives etc ? 

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 06:38:36 AM »
  You're not very observant Yellow, I have said time and again..I have no time for alcohol addicts either; especially when it comes to choosing between the addicts "fun" and the public's safety.
  Just how much impairment are you willing to accept with people driving, operating equipment, handling chemicals & explosives etc ?
I'm pretty observant of some things, no so much others. Do you want to have a pissin' contest or a discussion?

Ron Paul is advocating decriminalizing weed; he's not advocating decriminalizing DWI. They're separate issues, I think. I'm getting the strong drift that you'd like to equate them.... if one is for decriminalization, one is for DWI, that sort of thing. Is that your position?
right?

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 06:39:07 AM »
I don't think Ron Paul is angling for the support of every idiot in the country... but is looking to further the cause of individual liberties, and put a brake on power of the state to meddle in citizens' lives.
                    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;yellow tail

no  he  is  not.......THAT  IS NOT HIS  STYLE
 but  we  do need  the ''idiot vote''......so  it   is  a good thing

if  all the idiot  vote  democrat again...we will  have  obumer  again

funny how  people continue  to decide what is best  for other people
but  driving  impaired.....should loose your  lisence  for  5 years minimum....
no  blow and  go ..... no  work  only restricked
jail  time  MANDATORY  for  drive after privledges  revoked

WE   don't  own  other  people......get that through  your thick  skul
but  ..WE   own  the roads.......you  use them proberly or loose that right
once  you loose that right ....you are traesspassing  on OUR   property
be  impaird  on  OUR  roads  and you have  broken OUR  rules.......by  choice

so  stay   off OUR road  and enjoy   YOUR freeedom
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.