Author Topic: THIS IS A GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTION  (Read 1411 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
THIS IS A GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTION
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:02:26 AM »
I come here because I know that a number of you folks know something about computers.
I am seeking advice and council.
My wifes computer will shut down and have to be restarted VERY OFTEN, every few minutes.
I have had techs look at it and there seems to be no answers.
It has been scanned and re-scanned for bugs/malware/virus/etc. without remedy.
She has a very good anti-virus program.
I have come to some conclusion that there is a flaw/short/loose wire somewhere in the computer.
I think it is time for a new computer---though this one is only a couple of years old.
Give me your advice ancouncil as to my conclusions/your thoughts. Maybe--what computer to look at and so on and so forth.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: THIS IS A GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
You don't say if it is a laptop or desktop, but I had that problem with my laptop.  It is a Sony VAIO.  It turned out to be an overheating problem due to the processor cooling fins clogged with lint.  I had already noticed that the fan ran at high speed almost all of the time, unlike when it was new .....and then it just started spontaneously shutting down (not orderly shutdown, I mean "lights off").  It was the overheat safety kicking in to save the processor.

I had to dig into it using instructions I found on a computer forum.  I removed a "cake" of lint that resembled felt it was so solidly compacted.  That fixed mine.  I hope your problem is similarly simple.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »
  A friend of mine had the same problem as Curtis.  Heat up and shot down. I take mine apart and clean the fans about twice a month. You wouldn't believe the crud that gets in there. :o

Offline dks7895

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »
Curtis has offered very good advice.  Assuming it's a desktop... take it outside and blast it with the air compressor.  Blast out every nook and cranny.  You'll be amazed at how much dust is inside.  It's only air so you can't hurt it.  Make sure to check all the internal connections are still good before hooking it back up.  Computers are designed to protect themselves against overheating.  That's why it shuts down.  Check the fans to make sure they are not seized up while you're in there.  It so, they can be easily and inexpensively replaced.  If it's a laptop... blow thru all the vents in the bottom and sides that you can.  Air still needs to flow to keep it cool.

Best of luck. 
Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR; Crosman Powermaster 760 .177; Crosman Storm XT .177; Mission X3

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
Thanks guys.
I will see how much damage i can do to it.
Would a dead blow hammer be useful?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
If you gonna use the hammer don't forget to spray wd40 on before ya hit it! Everybody knows the hammer aint effective without wd40 ;D But like was said, sounds like a heating problem. My wife's laptop did the same thing. Knothead  at the computer store said there was no problem with it. Noticed it felt hot more than normal so I cleaned the fan and no more problem

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »
  JMO but if you use the compressor make sure you turn the pressure down low on it. I understand it is just air but you could do some serious damage in there if the pressure is to high. Just as easy to use a small paint brush on the fans and then the shop vac to pick up the crud that falls down.

Offline Paladin

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:27:13 PM »
static electric is real hard on computers. both methods your talking about may do this, go buy a couple of cans of compressed air , it's safer.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 01:44:42 AM »
  JMO but if you use the compressor make sure you turn the pressure down low on it. I understand it is just air but you could do some serious damage in there if the pressure is to high. Just as easy to use a small paint brush on the fans and then the shop vac to pick up the crud that falls down.

I have had very good success with the paint brush technique. I soldered a copper lead to the paint brush and to that connected an alligator clip that I attach to a good known grounding point. Being that I keep my bench impeccably clean, (free from loose powder etc.) I do a lot of this type of work on my reloading bench (good lighting) where I have a wire clamped to a water pipe, considered one of the best grounds you can get. I have watched TV station engineers use this technique cleaning large integrated circuit boards, and like myself have had zero problems.

I would just as soon use the paint brush/shop vac method. You aren't blowing the dust around internally and having it end up somewhere else where you don't want it! Believe me.....I've seen that happen too.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
I am to old for computers.
Dell is sending out a tech with new mother board/hard drive and extra memory card---under warranty. their tech department in India ordered it---well best I could tell, that is what he said.
Will keep you informed.
thank you for the help and advice.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 06:03:15 AM »
Computer was not all that dirty---but I cleaned it with canned air.
Hard drive was not replaced--it had been ordered---the tech said the computer would not restart if the hard drive was corrupted. The Mother Board (????) was replace and the memory was replaced.
No shut-downs in two days.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD