Author Topic: 45 Colt Classic Carbine  (Read 616 times)

Offline Muddly

• Trade Count: (0)
45 Colt Classic Carbine
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
Saw one in NIB condition for $229 at my favorite gun shop. Gardner Mass. production H&R. SWEET little number! Could swing it in a closet. I'm very tempted because the loads I use in my inline .50 ( 250 gr XTP at 1550 fps ) seem doable in this rifle. This one has a color case hardened frame , crescent buttplate and a set of checkered walnut stocks in the old Handi style. I do have a couple questions though. Namely can I get other barrels fitted to this frame? It has the knock out plug on the right side. And most importantly, are these barrels true .45 Colt demensions ( .452 groove diameter) or .45-70 type ( .458 groove diameter). I dont have alot to spend but I like the little booger!
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: 45 Colt Classic Carbine
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:13:45 AM »
That is a good price, and you can see & handle it. Review the FAQs for action/barrel lock up check and if it is good and tight I say buy it. Yes, it is .45Colt, revolver type ammo, not the 45-70 bullets.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:05:32 PM »
Saw one in NIB condition for $229 at my favorite gun shop. Gardner Mass. production H&R. SWEET little number! Could swing it in a closet. I'm very tempted because the loads I use in my in-line .50 ( 250 gr XTP at 1550 fps ) seem doable in this rifle. This one has a color case hardened frame, crescent butt plate and a set of checkered walnut stocks in the old Handi style. I do have a couple questions though. Namely can I get other barrels fitted to this frame? It has the knock out plug on the right side.
 Most importantly, are these barrels true .45 Colt dimensions (.452 groove diameter) or .45-70 type (.458 groove diameter). I don't have alot to spend but I like the little booger!

GO BUY IT!!! It's one of the purdy "est" Handis and fast becoming a favorite for all who own one.

The 45 COLT has never been offered with a .458 groove.... .454 sure, but not is some time. While the Handi is .452 so no worries. Its strong and safe for any sane loading you find for the 45 COLT. many of us have rechambered to the 454 Cassull, self included. Some brave souls even reamed it for the 460 S&W.  ;D

It IS a SB2 frame and Remington WILL fit other CF barrels to it.

The "knock out plug" lets the barrel be easier to properly fit by letting the smith SEE the engagement of the latch.

Gcrank1 is spot-on all this is on the FAQ's!

CW

Almost forgot... Now, I hunt with mine, so I have removed the nice Walnut stocks for another project. Mine wears Camo Syn stocks and a Leupold 2x7x32 VXII...

Here is a target...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
Mine is very accurate with factory JHPs and handloaded .454 lead bullets. 

I reamed mine to .454 Casull also. 

You should get it for that price.  I paid more for mine. 

Lots of people favor them highly.  Good hunting caliber also. 

I think it's the nicest looking and feeling Handi I have.

Be well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline zoot686

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
A .45 long colt can be loaded up, and it can be loaded down, everything from a pregnant BB gun to something that's so close to a .44 mag that only a chrony can really tell the difference..........
I'd get it, call it good, and keep it forever............

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
GO GET IT NOW!  That's as good a price as CDNN and you don't pay shipping and ffl charges.  Love mine.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Muddly

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
Got her today. Mounted up a 4x scope and bought a box of Winchester cowboy action loads ( OUCH $$$). Groups at 25 yards were right around an inch and 50 yarders opened up to about 2 inches( 3 rounders). The loads were VERY sooty and powder fouling was all over the place. Fired cases looked great and there was virtualy no leading. Recoil? Well I knew she went off cuz the hammer was down....Good looking little rifle , but I do prefer the old ( 1990's) style Handi stocks. To clear the hammer spur , the scope is too high for a proper cheek weld. I'm planning to mount an aperture sight to match my Black Diamond XR. I've had Handi's in the past and liked them very much. I like the idea of a light carbine with enough oomph for deer,hogs and maybe black bear out to about 150 or so. The fact I can do it , without even modest recoil if I choose my bullets carefully ( XTP's!!!). Those of you with .45's, hows your accuracy out to 100 yards? When i took her to pieces to give her a good claening,i discovered her previous owner glass bedded the forend fron the barrel lug back and not very well either. Her accuracy wasn't too consistent, but that may be the load and not the rifle. This is gonna be fun!
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

the FAQ's have many tips for better accuracy!

Loads are a big part of it, but there are a couple handi "isims", that will shrink groups like throwing a switch. Check out the FAQ's

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
Muddy,

The pic above is a 100yd.  group; however it is 454 Casull's with a 240 gr xtp mag.  Haven't fooled around a lot with 45LC loads yet.  Been experimenting with some 250 xtps behind 210 swiss (imr 4198 equiv).  Shot some fair 50 yd groups with it.

When you get time, get on the reamer list.  The Casull is really powerful in that little carbine, and recoil is ..............well, not as bad as hot 300 gr 45/70's.  Probably wouldn't be bad if you had a recoil pad, just can't bring myself to putting one on her.  She looks so good ;)
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Spencer, Carey

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
Sir, they are great little +/- 75yd deer carbines. And prettty handy to handle.