Author Topic: Don't Understand all the problems  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Don't Understand all the problems
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:31:17 AM »
I have three 30-06 Handis, a .35 Whelen, a .243, a 45-70, one Ultra in .223, and a Sportsman in .17HMR.  Two 12ga, and one 20.  The only fail to fire was the .35 Whelen when it was new.  Sent it back to NEF, they fixed it.  The Ultra failed to eject every time when new, sent it back to H&R, they fixed it.  Have not had one of either since.    I'm in the woods two to four days a week, and when I am not in the woods I am at the range.  So I do a lot of shooting.  These guns are virtually indestructible and fail proof.  I breakdown and clean them twice a year, in the fall and spring, usually.  Oh I can understand a part breaking every once in a while, but gosh so many people having problems, it's hard to understand.

Maybe one reason I don't have any problems is that I don't do any modifications, I leave them the way they were designed and built.  Factory installed barrels, done by the experts. 

Now with my 30-06 ammo I am picky, I weigh and sort all the cases and  bullets, so they match.  I weigh all the powder charges with an electronic scale.  I full length resize, measure and trim, all my cases.  With the Whelen and .243 I am still shooting factory(They don't get used a lot), no problems there.  The 45-70, I just load them using a mechanical powder measure, minimal case prep.  How can you screw up 45-70 loads.  The .223s since I also use Mini-14s and the wife also uses .223s like they are going out of style, I load them in volume.  Again minimal case prep, and mechanical powder measure.  I load them to match Winchester factory specs, from the Hodgdon manual, using all Winchester components, with Nosler bullets.  They shoot great in the Ultra.

Again I have a hard time understanding all the fail to fire, and fail to eject, problems people are having.   

Even my sub-sonic loads for the suppressed 30-06, using Trail Boss, have never had a problem.  The one and only thing I do to all my Handis is to put an O-ring under the forearm.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Don't Understand all the problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:40:28 AM »
sd,

I think it is a case of folks with a problem being vocal about it.  Most folks aren't going to post about a gun that doesn't give them any trouble. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:57:36 AM »
Well Sourdough I've got 2 handirifles and haven't had a problem with either one.....Of course I haven't shot either one yet.  :o Just getting into them.

I did have a NE arms 10 gauge turkey shotgun years ago that I did shoot. I never had a problem with it either.  ;)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:42:54 AM »
The only one I ever had any real problems with was a223 ultra light, But that was long before I discovered GBO. I sold that gun. After learning some of the tricks of the trade here on GBO I think that gun might have settled down and maybe been a shooter. It was shooting 4-5" groups at 100 yards, but that was before I knew of barrel heating issues, Stuck cases because I was shooting Steel cased lacquered stuff and thought the cure was to oil the cases first which in turn probably got oil on the latch shelf and sent accuracy spiraling down. Every other Handi has never been a problem. And I tinker swap out stocks, refinish stocks what have you.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 05:50:08 AM »
I've never had a problem with any of the Handis you see below my signature.  They are all extractors except for the .32-20.  Like Sourdough, all I've done is put an "O" ring on the forend stud.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline teddybaham

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 06:09:17 AM »
i have just one handi but its one of my all time favorites to shoot, because its accurate, i havent done any mods too it not even the O ring and shoot moa or better on most outings with little or no effort from me!!  ;D love my lil gun
what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 07:22:55 AM »
Only problem I had was failure to eject on my ought-six. This was due to the loads being made for my bolt gun. Since I backed the charge off a bit, no issues.

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
No problems here.Also just clean a couple times a year and stay out of them.I have four recivers and a dozen barrels and all interchange.Have reamed a chamber or two

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
only problem i have with all my handi's is.... can't decide which one to grab :o
jus gotta close my eyes and reach for one ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »
only problem i have with all my handi's is.... can't decide which one to grab :o

Doc,

you also gonna pick your ammo with closed eyes? :o

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
I have two frames, and three barrels.  One of my frames has a synthetic stock, the other pallet wood.  I switch all barrels between the two frames.  The only problem I've encountered is with the synthetic stock making the gun barrel heavy.  Fixed that by putting a small bag of shot in the butt stock.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »

Doc,

you also gonna pick your ammo with closed eyes? :o

BB

naw... there all loaded !!!.........i only need one shot ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »
I wish they would change the specs on the .44 mag carbine but I think my request is only a little less than whining.  So far my .44 shoots fantastic with jacketed loads but I bought it for cast bullet shooting and that remains to be seen.  My other Handi, a .223 Ultra also shoots great.  So that's 2 for 2 good shooters. 

I would buy another but I don't see any other calibers they offer that I want.  In a few years I might buy one or 2 for grandsons...

Tony

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »

That's a problem I like havin
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »
Sourdough,

I have two 45-70`s and me and my two boys each have a .308 and no problems from any of them.

With the two 45-70`s I was able to sight these two rifles with their scopes using only three shots per rifle. These are still accurate and have killed their share of whitetails!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
I agree and also don't understand the complaining about Handi's in general and extractors specifically. All my H&R/NEFS are ejectors except for my newer .44 Mag barrel and I did not have any ejector problems that were not easily cured. In fact I don't want to buy an extractor if I can avoid it. The reason my .44 Mag is an extractor is I waited until the bore diameter was brought down to where it should be before I bought one, and by then they were extractors.
I am more of a hunter and "fun" shooter than strictly a bench rest guy so I much prefer ejectors over the cheaper to produce extractors. I have also heard that because of complaints by a very few the lawyers got involved and did not want some idiot to get a spent shell case in the eye or bouncing of his forehead from an ejector. I think anyone who puts his face directly behind the breech when he opens it, knowing the shell case is going to come springing out probably deserves to get hit with it anyway. Sort of not stepping out in the street in front of an oncoming car....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cnctech

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
Never a problem with my ejector 30/06. I'm shooting Double Tap's 180 gr. Nosler AB load at 2800 fps right now. It's a near max load but haven't had a FTF or FTE after 60 plus rounds of this ammo.  All I've done is polish the chamber. Groups are excellent.

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
All the talk of FTF & FTE scared me when I was considering my first Handi. I bit the bullet and got one anyway. Now have 5, 3 are ejectors and have never had a FTF or FTE in any of them. Knock on wood. ;)
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
cnctech, how good are the groups. I got a 243 that won't shoot but now thinking maybe I could buy another. There is one for 200 bucks new at Cabelas. Would love to have one for my 14 yr old. He has a 270 win. Tikka t3 but kicks hard. I just don'r want 2 guns that suck.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »
ihookum:  The .243 is renowned for not shooting well.  It is the only Handi cartridge that I have heard negative things about. 

I have started many kids with my 30-06 Handi, with subsonic loads.  Light recoil, and little noise.  I have a youth stock that I change out for the kids.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline keith44

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
ihookum:  The .243 is renowned for not shooting well.  It is the only Handi cartridge that I have heard negative things about. 

Most of the complaints I have heard involved trying to shoot too heavy a bullet in too slow twist barrel.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 02:01:32 AM »
I chalk it up to the sheer numbers of people on here and the fact that people are quick to complain about problems but generally slow to praise them.

I see many of the problems are people related. I.E. Operator error. Be that from a general lack of knowledge or simply poor handling. BUT lets not forget, these are inexpensive firearms and as such things happen that shouldn't happen simply because the $$ are not put into the manufacturer. The majority of us here accept and even embrace this. As we enjoy "tinkering" to make a good shooter and save the $$ for other things. (Self included here!!)

By and large I have not had problems either, at least none that I needed to return the firearm to the factory for. 

OH wait, the 38-55 needed to be reamed to shoot correctly sized bullets. But I fixed that myself.

SO, off the top of my head the problems directly associated with the H&R are;

The wrong bore on some 44 Mag barrels
The wrong chamber dimensions on the 38-55's
The dis-connector failures (New ones available)

Then occasional issues like (These could happen to any manufacturer);

Chambers but too deeply  I.E. Whelen, and various occasional rimmed cartridges.
Poor barrel rifling cuts . (IMHO from dull reamers)
Poor quality crowns

My 2cents... ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 02:54:48 AM »
   I think that handi rifles are quite amazing being still made in the US and selling for the price they can be had for.   Not really much different than back 100 years ago you could buy a single shot 22 rifle for around $ 5 new.
  we all would like something improved on just about anything we buy but they are what they are, and to have so many choices of calibers, stocks, barrels ect. there pretty hard to beat.
       Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 04:51:21 AM »
I have two Handi rifles, one of which is an old Shikari 44 mag.  I have a total of four barrels between both rifles--12 ga, 45-70 22", 45-70 32" and the 44 mag.  The rifle barrels shoot cast bullets just fine.  I've shot 1,000s of rounds through the four barrels, and neither rifle action ever gave me the first sign of trouble.  Well, the old Shikari did get wet during Hurricane Rita, and I had to make a slave pin and learn how to take the action apart.  As I shoot only reasonable reloads, I expect to be shooting both rifles when I'm 101 years old with still no trouble betwixt now and then. The key is "reasonable reloads."

Offline cnctech

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »
cnctech, how good are the groups. I got a 243 that won't shoot but now thinking maybe I could buy another. There is one for 200 bucks new at Cabelas. Would love to have one for my 14 yr old. He has a 270 win. Tikka t3 but kicks hard. I just don'r want 2 guns that suck.

3 shot groups, holes touching, at 100 are pretty easy. I don't let the barrel get hot. Personally, I would avoid the .243 Handi and pick one of the pistol calibers  (.357 or .44) for your son.