Author Topic: PMR 30 - Red Dot or Laser?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Uncle Harry

• Trade Count: (0)
PMR 30 - Red Dot or Laser?
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:07:03 AM »
Just managed to snag a new PMR30 ( paid more than I wanted to but.......you know). The factory sights don't suite me but there doesn't appear to be an accommodation for installing an optic on the top of the slide.

There are many lasers to choose from which are mountable on the bottom rail. I'm leaning toward green because it's supposedly more visible in sunlight.

Any comments/recommendations?

Offline Savage

Re: PMR 30 - Red Dot or Laser?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »
Sounds like a fun gun! Haven't actually seen one, but if at all possible find a way to put some sort of optic on it.  Any laser worth having will cost more than the gun and likely not live up to your expectations.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
If your gonna carry it, Laser and a trim one at that. If its just a range gun, the red dot...

Congrats, hope you didn't get gouged too badly...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:19:40 AM »
I did pay a bit more than I wanted but still under 500.00 which is what most are asking on the auction sites.

I'm leaning toward the laser because the only optic mounts available from Kel Tec attach to the top of the slide which means whatever is mounted there will take a pounding from recoil and possibly interfere with proper cycling.  Who knows?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:43:13 PM »
I did pay a bit more than I wanted, but still under 500.00.

OMG, that's ABOVE RETAIL!!!!!!!!!  To think I passed on a couple at $329!!!!!! 

I REALLY hate to hear this and personally, wouldn't buy anything from a dealer charging these prices!!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jason045

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
I wouldnt worry about the slide mounted optic.  Folks mount docters and fastfires on 1911 slides all the time and they hold up quite well under what I image are far worse conditions than the pmr 30 can dish out.  Cant comment on interfering with function though.
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »
"OMG, that's ABOVE RETAIL!!!!!!!!! "
Of course it is. But that's what they're going for on Gunbroker and other auction sites-IF you can even locate one. If ya want one, ya pay the price.
Buy all of 'em you can at $329 & sell 'em on the net for $500. Then you can retire.   ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
"OMG, that's ABOVE RETAIL!!!!!!!!! "
Of course it is. But that's what they're going for on Gunbroker and other auction sites-IF you can even locate one. If ya want one, ya pay the price.
Buy all of 'em you can at $329 & sell 'em on the net for $500. Then you can retire.   ;D

I know its a old post... But I only just last week got my own PMR... Just wanted to say,  I paid 329.99 plus taxes...

One on Gunbroker just sold for 1600 dollars... absolute idiocy...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:51:22 PM »
Not idiocy as supply and demand goes. I just paid a good deal for one but I was fearful of a ban and would prefer to own now rather than risk later