Author Topic: H&R ULTRA  (Read 405 times)

Offline drhall762

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R ULTRA
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
Does anyone have an H&R Ultra? How is the thumbhole grip? I am looking at it an want to add a couple of accessorie barrels. Do you think it is worth the extra money?

Dave
Dave

In 100 years, who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society.
Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: H&R ULTRA
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »
Welcome Dave,

I have 3, hmm 4 rifles with the laminated thumbholes.  Love the feel and look, especially for target shooting.  Probably not the best choice for a carry rifle, they do add some weight compared to the synthetic stocks.  If your gonna shoot open sights the straight grip wood stocks are preferred I think.  I don't have but one of them in the 45 colt classic.  Scope all of mine.

The ultra rifle's main difference is that it generally has a 24" barrel, whereas handi rifles are 22".  All stocks are interchangeable.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:52:41 AM »
WELCOME and good morning Dave!

Yea many of us have multiple Ultras here. I have a couple with this stock set. Personally I don't like them for deer hunting. As you need to manipulate the hammer to fire the smallish thumb hole is too restrictive. Strictly from a handling standpoint they are very comfortable, but I find the comb too lo for good cheek weld with scope use.

I have relegated one of mine to a Sportster RF rifle and another to my 22Hornet as Varmints and targets don't usually require quick hammer pulling. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
I love mine I think the fit and feel is great. I also have the handi grip which can be had for about 60 bucks as an alt option and less expensive.

Offline drhall762

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:10:37 AM »
Thanks for the input. It sounds like I may want to investigate the Handi Rifle a little more. Decisions, decisions. So many rifles, so little money. LOL.

Dave ;D
Dave

In 100 years, who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society.
Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.