• Trade Count: (0)
^^^^
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:21:38 PM »

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Seeking info about quality, and service from Hern Ironworks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »
I have spoke to joel a few times on the phone and was very open to answer all my questions with out hesitation, and was very friendly,   I have not bought a gun from them yet but i am still saving money to get the 8 inch mortar from them.
   seems to be good people. 

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
A number of the members on here have their barrels.  I own one of their carronades (ordered 2 at the time - the other was a Christmas present to one of my friends from his wife).  They arrived close to the estimated time (I think they were off by about a week), and were packaged pretty well.  The UPS driver wasn't happy about having to move a pair of heavy crates, though! ;D

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
Joel was very helpful when I made enquiries a year ago and the barrel was pretty much what I expected.  It was a little rough on the exterior but cleaned up with a little effort.  Delivered well packed and in a timely manner.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline projector

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
I just looked at their site and read the disclaimer about use/misuse.  Has anyone fired one?

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »

Offline FFFg

• 18th century "crouching tiger" mortar
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:32:17 AM »
2002 price list on their website?

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
Had a problem with the liner in a  Hern tube. It looks like when pouring around the liner the liner got to hot in one spot and buldged. Called Hern three times and was told three times they call back, never happened.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
deleted

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »
One must remember you get what you pay for.... there will be a large difference between
Hern and SBR tubes I would call the Hern and entry level tube it is something to get one's
feet wet, for some it will be all they need, for others they will advance to bigger and better.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:33:48 AM »

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 04:42:08 AM »
clum sum:
Called Hern three times and was told three times they call back, never happened.

Sounds like maybe he tried...

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:30:19 AM »
Paul Barnett had a few of Hern's tubes he'd cut cross-sections of to show potential customers what the competition's product was compared to a few cross-sections of his products.  If you have a South Bend Replicas catalog it might be worth your time to look at them (both the pics of Hern and the SBR products).

GOW

I do not ever recall Paul  Barnett or any one else for that matter identifing the source of the  guns that are cut open in  Barnetts catalog or in any of the articles that appeared in The Artillery  Magazine  on the subject back on the 80's.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 09:10:59 AM »
I believe that was something I had verbally heard from one of the various personnel at SBR through the years, is not verifyable and should not have been repeated.  Their pics are ID'd just as "the competition's".  Before I machined my mortar I was seriously considering buying Hern's 1861 8" and talked to a few references I got from Joel and they were well pleased with their mortars.
Don't really know anything for sure about their core-cast cannon products.

GOW

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »
clum sum:
Called Hern three times and was told three times they call back, never happened.

When I ordered the 2 5/8 scale Carronades from Hern, I thought I was actually going to receive the English Swivel Guns - though I had seen the pictures and knew better, a friend of mine who had the swivel gun swore that it was ordered as a Carronade, and we were trying to have matching cannon.  After receiving it, I called them, and they offered to exchange the carronades for swivel guns, at the added cost + shipping - all of which was fair.  I discussed it with my friend who was receiving the other barrel, and we decided to keep them, but for me, their service and willingness to exchange was excellent.  I'd much rather have a solid machined barrel, but couldn't afford it, and I've been quite happy with the Hern.

Having never felt the urge to cut my barrel open, I can't tell you how the cross section looks, so I can't argue about the claims that SBR cut one open and it appeared to have significant defects.

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
clum sum:

Having never felt the urge to cut my barrel open, I can't tell you how the cross section looks, so I can't argue about the claims that SBR cut one open and it appeared to have significant defects.

We do not know that the cross sectioned barrels were Hern.  So lets be careful not to imply that it was them unless we can offer solid evidence. 

I do know that during the Bicentennial in 1976 there were a number foundries offering these cored barrel and that was the target of the discussions.

FWIW, Hern has a reputation of vigorously defending their products.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
     What really amazes us is, that after all this time has done by, no one, not one member who has purchased one of these Hern tubes, has even bothered to tell
the membership what the configuration of the breech plug within the liner is.  This is a very critical shape that pretty much controls whether you can clean all
powder residue and cartridge bag fragments out of the bore's bottom BEFORE the next powder charge is rammed home.  It is an important Safety feature and is
appropriately required by artillery organizations.

Take it from the old inspectors, you don't need an expensive borescope to check this out!  All you need is a metal or hardwood rod or dowel with a squared off
end.  Slide the rod down your bore, keeping it pressed tightly to the bore's surface until it stops at the bottom.  Carefully mark the rod where the muzzle face 
meets it.  Place thin cardboard shims with a combined thickness of 1/16" between the bore surface and the rod; press the rod against the bottom again.  Mark
again in a different spot.  Repeat until your rod is near the center of the bore.

Look at your marks.  If they are configured like a waterfall, you have a radiused breech plug, making cleaning much easier and more complete.  If all your marks
are the same distance from the muzzle face, your breech plug has a flat end at the bore's bottom, making cleaning much more difficult and incomplete cleaning more likely.  Experienced
artillerists we have talked to consider incomplete cleaning one of the leading causes of pre-mature discharge which can cause injury, dismemberment or death. So,
with properly made cleaning brushes and sponges, this squared off bore bottom configuration from any manufacturer can be cleaned effectively with a little extra effort.

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
Mike and Tracy, My Hern barrel has a squared off breach.  Since it is a Coehorn with a consequently short bore, cleaning has never been an issue. A rounded end nylon brush cleans it well, followed by a dry swabbing. Your cleaning tools will make all the difference with a long bore.
I haven't had any issues with this barrel and would purchase another from them.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »

Offline FFFg

• 18th century "crouching tiger" mortar
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:02 PM »
Did you pay $779.70 for it? Their price list has not been updated since 2003 and they do not answer emails.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
I did place an order with Hern, for their full scale Carronade. As you all said, they are very helpful, and did a fine job on my order. So its resting in the front room, looks fine as is, but I may spend some time on a carriage for it come Fall.

Can you post a pic of that smaller cannon in the corner?  I sold one recently that looked a lot like that one, but slightly different carriage.  I want to see if it is the same tube.

Nice Carronade, by the way.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 01:46:12 AM »
Nope. It is a different tube too. Nice old piece anyway, thanks.

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
Very soon,  You need to check the bore for deforimitys and to see if it is concentric with the  outside of the barrel. Hope it is all good for You.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline OoooOOoo1010010

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
Have fun ,the carrige is the most fun. Have fired blanks in mine, not as much fun as building the carrage.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
I have a Hern mortar and a Hern Carronade (full sized).

The standard breech plug that they put in everything is flat. That is what came in my mortar. If that is an issue for you, do not order it that way. It does not interfere with cleaning for me... I use a sheep's wool bore mop that I made that fits it perfectly.

Also, as far as mortars go, knowing what I know now I would have ordered something with a sub-chamber in it (Hern does not have a sub-chamber).  It is too hard to shoot light loads without a sub-chamber, and I have a real hard time when shooting at less than 150 yards or so due to erratic ignition of light (100 grain) loads.

The Carronade I bought from Hern has an NSSA compliant breech plug. That is not "standard". It is not listed on their web site, but it is available as an option (call Joel and talk to him about it). At the time I ordered my carronade it cost me $200 more.

I have had no issues with either barrel. Joel is an easy guy to work with.

I know that lots of people have bought Hern barrels, and I don't recall anyone having mentioned an unresolvable problem with one. In my two barrels the liners are very well centered and very straight.  In fact, to hold the barrels on the EDM machine that bored the fuse holes a length of 2.25" rod was turned down down slightly to make a snug fit and slid down the bore to hold the barrel in place. The rod is what was clamped in place on the EDM machine. This allowed us to easily figure out where the fuse hole would enter the bore with respect to the breech face. If there was any significant curvature of the liner this trick would have showed it.

If I wanted to build a gun for competition I would probably go with a machined barrel for numerous reasons. Right now the cost however would keep me from doing such.... too many other things that money is needed for I guess. On the flip side, I don't have the time to compete, so there is no real need to buy a competition gun.

Keep asking questions... it's your money, and you need to spend it on something that will meet your needs as you see fit.

Rick

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
I post this August 16th.

I talked with  Joel Brown of Hern Iron Works today about their barrel liners.

All of  Herns full scale guns are made with a 1/2 inch thick wall seamless tubing with a pressed in and welded breech plug that has a radius face.

Smaller than full scale cannons have a 1/4 inch thick wall tubing that has a no bead welded seam. The breech plug is flat faced,  pressed in and welded.  If you desire a seamless tube in the smaller guns inquire upon ordering.