Author Topic: Neck expanding dies  (Read 696 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Neck expanding dies
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:24:10 AM »
Just started to load some new cast bullets in .22 Hornet brass and found the die can not be adjusted to flare for bullet seating. In calling RCBS I am told a separate neck expanding die will be needed. What have others done to remedy this situation? It seems a little imagination is called for.

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
Re: Neck expanding dies
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:53:49 AM »
Some reloaders turn needle-nose plyers in the case mouth to flair them for cast bullet seating.  Others use the $12 Lee Universal Expanding die.  I prefer the Lyman M-die for rifle case neck expansion.  A seperate M-die is needed for each caliber.  The RCBS expanding die works as well as the Lyman M-die.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:12 AM »
I used to have a couple of dozen Lyman M dies, both with standard plugs and extra plugs I'd had modified for specific useage.   Bought a Lee Universal Expanding die, sold all the M dies and used the money to buy other things I needed far more than I needed them.   The Lee was good enough for everything the M dies had done.
FWIW
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »
I used the Lee universal die for years. Bought the Lyman M-dies and groups tightened up for me.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
Have you chamfered the inside of the case necks?

I turned a peice of round Alum. to a taper and used it to bell cases with.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »
I have a set of swaging punches that I had planned to use until something better was available. I was not aware of the Lee universal expander. Does one die cover a range of calibers, or are several needed? Also wondering why you feel the Lyman dies improved groups Hornady? Thanks for the expertise guys.

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:24 AM »
I use the Lee Universal expander die to flair all the case necks on various rifle brass that I load cast bullets in.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Bob J

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
I use the Lyman M die for all my cast loads....  Bullet seats straight and for the softer alloys maintains it's sized diameter..... 

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:56:06 AM »
Some reloaders turn needle-nose plyers in the case mouth to flair them for cast bullet seating.  Others use the $12 Lee Universal Expanding die.  I prefer the Lyman M-die for rifle case neck expansion.  A seperate M-die is needed for each caliber.  The RCBS expanding die works as well as the Lyman M-die.

i use the cheep lee it works
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:07:55 AM »
"Does one die cover a range of calibers, or are several needed?"

Yes, the Lee universal expanding die will work for a large range of calibers and cartridges.  However, it is too short for the 9.3x74R.  For that one I had to go with the 9.3mm Lyman M-die.

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 06:01:32 PM »
You don't need to order a separate M die for each cartridge or caliber.  There are only two die bodies - Long and Short; order the expander plugs that you need for all the different calibers you load for, and you're good to go. 

The Lee universal expander only flares the case mouth.  The Lyman M die expands the case neck and mouth to allow easy seating and no lead shaving for cast bullets.  Custom diameter expander plugs are easy enough to make, or can be ordered from CH-4D.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »
I called the local reloading shops yesterday and no luck so I called Midway and they do carry them. As the die will not meet the minimum order, I am in the process of expanding my order and will try the Lee.
Thanks guys.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
I use the Lee universal expander die when I need to load cast bullets in anything I reload.  It was cheap and it really works.  I load for the K-Hornet rather than the regular Hornet but it works fine for me on this tiny round too.

If you can't meet the minimum order, you can always buy some more brass or bullets.  It's not like you won't need them anyway...  ;D

Tony

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 02:43:13 AM »
geezerbiker you are very right. That book is full of toys! I am not putting it off, just prioritising as the wife and I just got back from a week of touring Vermont on our bike. That order needs to get done before I reload any more Hornets.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:46:38 AM »
no doubt the m dies are the best way to go and i have a few but to buy them for every caliber is expensive and for the most part the lee universal one works fine.
blue lives matter