Author Topic: Blank loads in a 1.375" bore  (Read 590 times)

Offline mowhawky

• Trade Count: (0)
Blank loads in a 1.375" bore
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
Hello again all. I have been doing much digging and find fairly little amounts of information with regard to safe blank loads. I did searches and found plenty on projectile loads. I am still very green on loads and have to ask what is safe for my particular cannon so I don't do damage. Without further ado, here is my question:

What is the safe load (blank) for my cannon using FFg powder? (I will be using FFg powder by recommendation of the builder of the cannon)

Here is the info on the cannon:
The cannon is made from solid 8620 stock. The bore is 1 3/8", breech 4", length 23"

Thanks in advance!

Pat

Offline subdjoe

Re: Blank loads in a 1.375" bore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:27 PM »
I would start with a square load - 1.25" diameter x 1.25 inch tall - foil cartridge. That would be about 3/4 oz. of FFg.  Then work up to about 1 1/2 oz. in 1/4 oz. increments.  At some point you reach diminishing returns where adding more powder doesn't really add anything to the boom.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline mowhawky

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:04:46 AM »
I would start with a square load - 1.25" diameter x 1.25 inch tall - foil cartridge. That would be about 3/4 oz. of FFg.  Then work up to about 1 1/2 oz. in 1/4 oz. increments.  At some point you reach diminishing returns where adding more powder doesn't really add anything to the boom.

Thanks Joe. I was told 1 oz by the guy who made the cannon so it's good to see that a second opinion is right on. Thanks for answering. Gonna light her off today!

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 05:48:39 AM »

Thanks Joe. I was told 1 oz by the guy who made the cannon so it's good to see that a second opinion is right on. Thanks for answering. Gonna light her off today!

My pleasure.  I must not have been too far off or someone would have jumped in and said "NO! That is way too much!"  I suspect that you could go up to 2 oz. safely, but would bet that above 1 1/4 you won't hear much difference.

Do "tune" your barrel though.  Maybe even go by 20 grain increments each side of that 1 oz. load.  Two identical barrels might like slightly different loads to give maximum report.  One might do best with 400 grains, the other with 500. A tedious but fun experiment.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline mowhawky

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:59:29 AM »
Sounds great! I will most likely stick as close to 1oz as possible which will give me 16 shots per pounds. A cheap thrill is always better!
 ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »
Will you use foil packaged loads or loose powder ? Double wrap it in heavy duty foil  ;)

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline rustychips

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
Hi all, I have a few questions to ask, does foil packaged loads increase the report and pressure? and on a another recent post they talked about different types of wadding and it seemed like grass clippings was the preferred choice over damp paper, does loose powder develop less pressure but still make some noise?

David

Offline mowhawky

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
I have constructed charges from HD alluminum foil using a wooden dowel. I will be lighting this afternoon. It definetly seems safer and easier then loose powder.

Thanks again

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
Hi all, I have a few questions to ask, does foil packaged loads increase the report and pressure? and on a another recent post they talked about different types of wadding and it seemed like grass clippings was the preferred choice over damp paper, does loose powder develop less pressure but still make some noise?

David

Foil cartridges make loading easier and safer.  And in my (limited) experience eliminates the need for any wadding.  One stroke to seat the charge, then one or two moderately firm strokes to tamp it.  Loose powder in a long, horizontal tube would be a PITA to load.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline rustychips

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
Oh yeah I never thought about horizontal tube issue, I guess the foil loads would be more user friendly, thanks for the response.

David