Author Topic: Grip advice  (Read 549 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Grip advice
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:08:01 AM »
I bought a new Ruger Black hawk 45LC last year. My hands are not small and have been busted up pretty good over the years, so lots of arthritic in them.
The stock grip on the Ruger I have some trouble maintaining a good grip with them. I have done some looking at gunshow, but have not found anything I like.
I have 3 other revolvers with wood grips that I don’t have a problem with, smaller guns in 38s and 357.
I have thought about getting grips made for the Ruger. But is there an after market grip you have had good results with. It may just be the smooth plastic but I don’t want to experiment on buying something just as bad. Thanks

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Grip advice
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:42:01 AM »
As much as I hate to say it, HOGUE TAMER rubber grips work well for some folks.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:17:07 AM »
I jut picked up a ruger super blackhawk with the pachmayer rubber grips and i like it.  I have the pachmayer presentation grips on all my revolvers and the pachmayer rubber wrap around grips on one of my 1911's and my other 1911's have the IAI rubber wrap around grips with the finger grooves. I like the rubber grips because i can squeeze my fingers/hand into the rubber for a firm hold.  The small orginal wood grips just turn in my hands.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »
Some of the 3rd party shops have offered over-sized grips for the Blackhawks that may be easier for you to hang on to.    Some have also offered hard rubber copies of factory HR grips that might give you better control and reduce recoil without loosing the "lines" of the originals better than some after market grips do.
FWIW

I went a different route many years ago and sent all my Colt and Ruger SA frames to David Wayland, who made custom wood grips that fit my hand for me in several high grade woods, and some of them also to Boone Trading company for ivory and Eagle for the same in stag.    Sold all the Colt's with their custom grips, but knew I would continue to buy and sell Ruger old model SA's.    So I kept quite a few of the custom Ruger grips to always have them for those I buy, and to have extras to fit my mood and use for a particular revolver.

Edit to add a picture...  the OM Blackhawk on the botton wears slightly oversize grips.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I ordered the Hogue Grip from mid-south. Did some research on it, sounds like it will extend the grip in my hand and with the finger groves I will get a better grip. And at a little over 15.00 you can’t beat the price. I needed to clean up my wish list with them anyway. Starting to look like a grocery list. I wanted to put the order in before I posted this, last time I found what I thought was a good deal with them I posted it, and by the time I ordered, guess what out of stock and then  back ordered.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0013883000