Author Topic: binoculars for hunting  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Bart Solo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
binoculars for hunting
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »
A couple of years ago I lost my binoculars.  I bought some cheapies the night before deer season.  They are virtually useless hunting.  I am looking to buy a binoculars to use in a deer stand this fall.  They have to be crisp, clear, fast to use and easy to carry.  We hunt in the woods so there will be a lot of shade. Any thoughts. 

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: binoculars for hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:36:38 AM »
Steiner Military Marine 8x32 is what I have been using for several years now. Roughly $220 now I suppose, haven't kept up with pricing. They are relatively small, relatively light, they are pretty bright. I'm using them primarily in the woods archery hunting, they make the annual trip out west as well.

Now I don't hang out with the most discriminating hunters, but to a man, every one of them have been impressed. Two of the six have upgraded because of the experience. One purchased Nikon Monarch 8x? the other got the same thing I have. The Monarchs are better glass, a bit bigger and better everywhere, and probably be my choice if I had it to do over again, they are costlier though add a hundred or so.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
I've owned a bunch of binoculars and for several years made my living building them for the government. I've owned the top name European binos and some made in Japan and China.

I've moved them all along after awhile but what stays with me cuz I really love them are my Bushnell Legend 8x42 binos. They are as bright and clear to my eyes as the well over $1000 binoculars I've owned. I can't say they are right for everyone but they sure are for me. Give them a try.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
Now I have three really good choices.  The Steiner Military & Marine 8x30  look great and I would imagine the are the right shape and weight.  Steiner's glass is first class.  As to the Nikon Monarchs, nobody ever went wrong with Nikon Monarchs.  Everybody says they are great. 

The binoculars I lost were Bushnells.  They were older, but everything about me these days is older.  Until his death earlier this year a world class birdwatching friend of mine tested binoculars for the Audobon Society and for his own birder magazine.  After testing a bunch he told me my old Bushnells were the best he had ever tested in the price range.  He ordered my pair at the same time he bought his.  He was right.  They were great.  For many years I got great use out of those binoculars, right up to the moment I lost them at the local range sighting in for deer season.  I replaced them with some last minute cheap waterproof Bushnells.  They didn't cost much and I got what I paid for. 

The problem with Bushnell is they don't make their own stuff.  They import from various manufacturers.  They are at the mercy of those manufacturers. 

All that said I have read a lot of good stuff about the Bushnell Legend HD.  The good thing is I live in the town where Bushnell is headquartered.  We have a couple of Bushnell outlet stores, and can buy refurbished models cheap.  I think I am going to go to the local outlet store to see if they have any of the Legends n stock.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
A few years ago I sold my Zeiss 10x40s, which I never really learned to like, and began shopping for a pair of hunting Binoculars....

The ones I bought, after much research, were the Pentax 8x43 DCFSP. They work really good for the conditions you described.  ;) I bought mine from Camera Land, a sponser here on GBO. They were on sale when I bought them but I don't remember the price. But I think it was less than $400.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
I'd side with GB on this.  I have the same ones, but in 10X.  The 8X are probably easier to use, but I like the additional magnification.  A bit heavy, but that actually helps steady them.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 03:06:54 AM »
Ive got binoculars more expensive but the pair of nikon atb monarchs i have are about the best bang for the buck ive ever seen in a pair of binoculars. THere 8x42s and sell for around 300 bucks but if you watch cameraland youll find them as low as 200. Check the reviews on the optic sites and youll see that alot of people agree with me. there as good of glass as many of the models that cost 2 to 3 times the money. Ive got a set of vortex razors and yes they have a bit better glass. But there much heavier and cost twice the money. Some of the ziess and swarovsky guys may scoff at them but id bet if they couldnt tell who made them theyd get by just fine on any hunting trip with a pair of those atbs.
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:31:54 AM »
Did a pretty extensive test with ZenRays.  Put them up against my swaro 8x32, zeiss Diafun 10x35c, Leica New Gens 10x42 and Nikon Monarchs 12x42 and redfield 7x35s.  They were outstanding for the price!  I was impressed. 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 04:17:43 AM »
I have pentex 8x42s got them when i was in the gun biz. I love them  also have a pair of 10x24 pentex compacts that I keep in the van.
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 06:58:54 AM »
Every post I've read posted by owners of Leupold 6x32 Katmai binocualrs is positive. Compact. light, and great resolution. The other is Bushnell Legend 8x32 or 8x40. If you wear glasses while you use your binocular the 8x32 may not be a good bet.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
I drop another vote for the Bushnell Legend series binos.  I have a pair of 10x42 that have been stellar.  Durable, bright, crisp, well made and an excellent value for the dollars spent.

I don't say this very often, but in this case I feel I've gotten my moneys worth (and more).  Plus, I would buy another pair today if something happened to mine.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 02:49:18 AM »
the zenrays that ive tried were great glass as are my vortex but there a bit more expensive then the nikons and i dont know if the price differnce is justified. thats kind of the cool thing right now. For under 500 bucks you can buy a set of binoculars that would please anyone but a brand name snob. quote author=drdougrx link=topic=236676.msg1099338702#msg1099338702 date=1309699914]
Did a pretty extensive test with ZenRays.  Put them up against my swaro 8x32, zeiss Diafun 10x35c, Leica New Gens 10x42 and Nikon Monarchs 12x42 and redfield 7x35s.  They were outstanding for the price!  I was impressed.
[/quote]
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 06:11:43 AM »
Heyyyyy!!!!!   I ain't no brand name snob!!!   I resemble that!  Less a'course I can get'm on the cheap!  I got my swaros from the LLBEANs outlet store in N. Conway NH as a return for $375 in the early 90s.  I bought my Leicas on fleebay for $600 and resold them for $950 (way too heavy to carry around).

Lloyd is right though...why spend the $$ if you don't need to.  I liked the Zen Rays but could be completely happy with the Monarchs.  My BIL has pair, 12x42 and camo I think and they are really nice!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
I hunt the Missouri woods.  10X42 or 8X42?  I am leaning to 8 but 10 might be a better all round magnifcation.   I am thinking 42 is better than 32 for low light. 

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »
Bart,
10x is all the magnification most men can hand hold steady enough to use. As we age sometimes we can't even hold 10x steady enough to use well. I have gone down to 8x for that reason.  ;)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »
IMO you'll be happier with the 8x. I use a 7x42 and I love it.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 05:28:17 AM »
I have a pair of Nikon Action Adventure 7X50 binoculars.  They are not compact but work great for low light conditions.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Wasnt singling you out by any means. If i could buy swarovskis for 375 bucks id probably walk to NH to get them. Im not beyond spending a bit more money then even the nikons cost. I actually consider them about the cheapest pair of binoculars id personaly buy. But you wont find a better set for 2-300 bucks. Might be a few decent ones out there that compare though. Like i said ive been impressed with the zrays the vortex and the minox ones ive tried. Any of those will surely get you a seviceable pair of binocs for under 500 bucks.
Heyyyyy!!!!!   I ain't no brand name snob!!!   I resemble that!  Less a'course I can get'm on the cheap!  I got my swaros from the LLBEANs outlet store in N. Conway NH as a return for $375 in the early 90s.  I bought my Leicas on fleebay for $600 and resold them for $950 (way too heavy to carry around).

Lloyd is right though...why spend the $$ if you don't need to.  I liked the Zen Rays but could be completely happy with the Monarchs.  My BIL has pair, 12x42 and camo I think and they are really nice!
blue lives matter

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »
Your binocs should be just as good as your scope.  Get the best you can afford, and pay attention to weight and size if you will be walking with them. 

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
No offense taken Lloyd!  At the time they had another pair in gray...I took the green ones and if I had the donero...I'da bought both!

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
Bart Solo,

Since you didn't mention price the pocket Swarovski pocket 10 x 25b are my favorite binos by far.  They are just the best imo.  They go around my neck in the morning on hunts and they don't come off unless I'm eating or going to bed after the hunt.  Just got back from a 5 day pd hunt today and they are crisp light and so easy to use.  No trouble holding them steady...yet :)   I have other binos that are mid to high end but now they are for friends and family to use.  They will last you for a lifetime and if you are one of us that search the woods from the stand all day these are awesome.  The big 10 x 42 are much brighter but lugging them around 8-12 hours a day would be a little much imo again. 

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 02:52:36 AM »
ive got a small pair for daily carry too but for most hunting around here low light performance is very important and the small ones, even good small ones, dont cut it for that.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »
Charles, My personal opinion is that your binocs should be better than you riflescope.  ;)  For hunting you'll spend much more time using the binocs than the riflescope. Especially western hunting, where you glass a lot of country. May not be as important for east coast hunting.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
Charles, My personal opinion is that your binocs should be better than you riflescope.  ;)  For hunting you'll spend much more time using the binocs than the riflescope. Especially western hunting, where you glass a lot of country. May not be as important for east coast hunting.

Regards,
I'll second the East vs. West I am very impressed with the Steiner's I spoke of but out West they are adequite nothing more. I think of them as a set of big ol compacts.My buddy got the Monarchs last season and they are nicer glass easily and not that much heavier considering what they are.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »
I have no problems with using binocs of a better quality than one's scope, but if you can't find the animal in your scope but can see it in your binocs, what good is the scope?  This can happen in very late afternoons.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 02:58:44 AM »
here we have antler restrictions. You need to be able to verify point count before you shoot. In low light a good set a binocs allows this much better then a scope and who wants to be pointing a rifle at things you dont know you want to shoot. many times ive been able to count points with the binos when there was still enough light to make a shot with my scope. Also like pasorp said. I might spend a minute looking through my scope if im lucky that day but EVERYDAY i spend hours looking through my binoculars.
blue lives matter

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »
Counting points is my big reason for wanting binoculars as well.  I hunt in the woods.  None of our shots are more than 100-150 yards.  Mostly less, but last year I had to pass up a good sized buck because I couldn't confirm the point count.

Offline jackruff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
Eagle Optic Ranger SRT 6X32s.  ( eagleoptics.com )  They are light, rugged, waterproof, sharp and clear right to the edge, and don't cost an arm and a leg - between $200 and $300.  In the woods I don't need more than 6 power (more power means less field of view), and with only 6 power, any objective lens more than 32 mm is not needed - just more weight and bulk. 

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »
Eagle Optic Ranger SRT 6X32s.  ( eagleoptics.com )  They are light, rugged, waterproof, sharp and clear right to the edge, and don't cost an arm and a leg - between $200 and $300.  In the woods I don't need more than 6 power (more power means less field of view), and with only 6 power, any objective lens more than 32 mm is not needed - just more weight and bulk.

Ya got that right. My old time favorite was my Steiner 6x30 binocular. Faye decided she needed them more than me so now they are hers. I still prefer a 6x or 7x for woods hunting over any other but these days use a 8x since few seem to make good 6x and 7x binoculars anymore. Brunton used to make a 5x that also should have been a good woods bino.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 06:59:35 AM »
Graybeard,
I bought a pair of Bushnell custom compacts in the 60's.. They were 6x if I remember right. Worked womderfully for hunting in Florida & Georgia like I was doing at that time. But when I starting hunting out west I found them lacking.  ;)  But your right, in the thick stuff 6x is all a guy needs.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE