Author Topic: Too many offerings  (Read 701 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Too many offerings
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »
I see people asking all the time for H&R to make some off the wall caliber, or one that just don't do things as good as some of the ones offered.  In my view if H&R spreads it's offerings too thin, and
 make a bunch of calibers that are not worthy it will give the company a bad name.  That's why you don't see me screaming for a new caliber.  I'm happy with what they already made.  I have .223,
 22-250, .243, 25-06, 30-06, .35 Whelen, and 45-70.  A couple of those I really don't use or need.  With the other five I am set up for anything in North America, including the big bears of Alaska,
 or even Buffalo.  Making too many different calibers will run the cost of manufacturing up, and the cost of the guns will go up.

I used to be a T/C fan of the Contender.  I bought many barrels for my Contender.  At one time I had over 20 pistol barrels, from .22RF to 45-70, with a bunch of wild cats and proprietary calibers.
Over the years I realized I only shoot the .22RF, .223, 30-30, and 45-70.  All the others are in a box, sprayed with storing coating, unused.  I realized all those other calibers that I had thought so
important can not do anything the four listed can not do.  I have not shot the 45/410 barrel in probably 15 years.  I now have traded off most of those barrels, I'm down to about eight, and what is
left are all standard production calibers.  I got rid of the wildcats and proprietary calibers.  The .223 and the 30-30 see the most use.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Too many offerings
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:05:50 AM »
If H&R offered unchambered barrels in all the bore sizes they already make, they could cover 90% of the requests for
odd calibers.  Even if they only sold them to a list of approved gunsmiths, they those willing to pay for such an oddity
could order it.  This wouldn't raise production costs at all since the barrels would be pulled off the line before the last
production step was done...

Tony

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:11:49 AM »
i agree rog !!  out of 27 handi's i got ... only bout 5-6 get used.
the rest will end up tha grandkids if they ain't already got'um.
my son will get all my other brands and handguns.
i ain't gunna sell no more of mine. but ya never can tell what comes thru tha door next
that might needa new home !! ;)
17m2,swift, 39,whelen,45/70 isa bout it... of course ya can count tha tractor blaster... its wif me
ever day and sometimes at night ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »
Good call.  I got a 45LC carbine for fun, and it's accurate... pretty too.  I got a 45-70 because it was so popular and can handle anything in America, and luckily a good shooter.  Makes me feel like I' shooting a 'real' rifle.  Folks are right about these two.

I got a 2 30-30s because accurate, ammo is cheap and available everywhere and well I like 30-30.  Folks were right about these also.

I got a 25-06 because it's a 26" bbl and is a serious long range shooter and a challenge. 

I shoot all of these.  So, I think I've got it covered.  Or maybe a 223 because it's so available... and... NO!

Now it's time to play with reloading, continue modding stocks, and scoping these... my way!  Too many guns, not enough time can be a burden to some.

The only other guns I shoot are my Ruger 10-22s and my Marlin 35.  And airguns of course. 

I think my first LH, a Savage 110 243 is gonna go soon.  Closet queen for a year now...

Happy Independence Day All...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »

The only other guns I shoot are my Ruger 10-22s

hey, you ain't right ifin ya ain't gotta few them 10/22's around  ;D
lord, i gots too many them fine machines....(only after ya make'um that way) ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
I've seen many a gun come an go but the 10-22 has been with me longer than I can remember, I do know I've had two dogs die of old age sense I've had that 22.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:33:54 AM »
0ne solution is to cut back on varieties of ammo:
22 air rifle
22 lr/short
38/357
30-30
45-70
20 guage
This range  of ammunition provides for rifle and pistol extra quiet to big boom, range up close to 400 yds, ESPECIALLY IF YOU RELOAD.  There is no game on the Continental US this mix will not bag.  There is no self defense scenario I have ever imagined that this mix could not be used for.  The logistics corallary of firearm is ammo.  Without it the firearm is generally a poorly balanced bludgeon.  If I find something within my list of ammo, I may consider purchase. 
I have found one area though in which ammo is plentiful in quantity and quality not to mention useful outside of firearms.  I have finished 14 slingshots in antler, wire, and wood for CHRISTmas presents.  At 10 I was  hunting pheasant, dove and squirrel with a tree branch, some innertube, string and a boot tounge.  I was twelve and we ate a ot of pheasant before I found out there was a pheasant season.  I guess I am just an old man now trying to relive his youth.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »
Only gun I would add would be an inline MZ to take advantage of the extra deer seasons.  I do agree that if guns sit they need to go unless they are an heirloom or something you are speculating on it's value increasing.   

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
That's right BB I forgot my muzzle stuffers and 20ga.  Was thinkin' Handi 'rifles'.  Thanks for reminding us...

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »
I have "trimmed" the holdings twice now... The first time resulted in this obsession. ;) The second was more to trim the "fat" so to speak...

Recently I have been giving serious thought to doing some chopping again... Far too many have been, greases up, slid in a sock and pushed to the back of the safe...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 07:26:29 AM »
The introduction of a new factory cartridge was a rare thing two decades ago, even more so further back. Now the industry introduces a new cartridge so often I can't keep up with them. And not just the big guys like Remington and Winchester. Everyone is getting into the act. And I think that is great. Anything that get's people interested in shooting is a good thing and I am all for it. It is no doubt a money maker for the industry or they would not be doing it. Think about it. If H&R, for example, offered only four chamberings, say a 223, 243, 30-06 and 45/70, that would cover about all of one's hunting needs and they would sell four rifles tops to each hunter. For some, that would suffice, but for me and others, I want to try as many as I can.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »
A 24D Savage in 222/ 12 ga would "do" everything one might "need". I could buy 30/06 -270-308 in bolt action her for 267.95 @  Wally World. I buy a handi for the Hornet, a38/55 etc.     
remember the starfish