Author Topic: SE Idaho  (Read 1122 times)

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
SE Idaho
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »
Any of ya'll from or live in the Pocatello(sp?) area. My wife may be up for a transfer to a new location and this is the area, actually Chubbuck, ID. Just wanted some heads up about weather, hunting, fishing, shooting, gun laws and housing costs before considering it. That's a right far piece from where I am in Va.

Thanks ahead of time
HWD

Offline Higene

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: SE Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 12:06:58 PM »
I am from SW Washington. I do get to Idaho on an irregular basis. Deer, elk, moose, bear, turkey, cougar, wolf (sss- shoot, shovel, and shut up  - locals hate them - ecos feel better if they are around) - hunting.
I am not real sure - desert or at least arid climate - nut freezing cold in the winter - pines more than firs. They may still allow hound hunting.
They do allow atvs to be licensed and run on the roads. Arguably (mostly around campfires in the NW) some of the best hunting in the United states.

MSFTHO - My shoot from the hip opinion -

Higene

PS for a more detailed description I would contact Gentleman Of The Charcoal on THR - Blackpowder

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Do a search for GOTC

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:51:08 AM »
Have a friend that lives in Boise. I'll give him a call. Never been to that area myself,so know nothing about it.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
 ;) Hunts, we just came back from a tour of Idaho and Montana...I have only hunted birds in Idaho and one unsuccessful do it your self bear hunt. It has some of the most awesome country in the west...and roughest...but it has it all from quail, grouse, waterfowl, through deer and elk..and they will be allowed to shoot wolves in the fall I believe...for variety, I don't think you could beat it..hope your wife likes it..moving seems to be more difficult for ladies than men....

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »
Thanks guys.
My youngun lived in Boise for a couple years. I've been out there for some bird and waterfowl hunts but haven't been over on this part. As I ain't gitting no younger, I'd rather not hunt somewhere that stands on end. Also, I'm what some may call a flatlander even though we live in the mountains of Va. Our mountains aren't much more than big hills over there!

HWD

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
 :)  Hunts, I don't think SE Idaho is as rough as say Salmon or Riggins....it has some of the most beautiful country on earth...I would bet if you like hunting fishing, camping, etc. you will be more than happy...Like everywhere it is not as good as it used to be, but unless you have a huge amt. of private land to lock up and call yours, not much hunting is as good as in the past, but I would say this area is some of the best we have left....good luck...

Offline olydraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »
I wish I could get transfered to Idaho. I`m sure you will enjoy it. I am in Indiana now but was born and raised in eastern Washington, much better hunting out west and plenty of places just to step out of town and target shoot. can`t do that here in the midwest unless you own a farm or know someone that does.. The west is more shooter friendly. good luck and have fun
If you want it destroyed right, call in a B-52
  "Have B-52 will travel"

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:57:07 AM »
Welcome to Idaho!  I live up in the northern part in an area called the Palouse.  Southeastern Idaho has some excellent terrain for flatlanders or mountaineers, either one.  Plus, there are some great fishing locales within that geographic region.  You'll be close enough to Montana and Wyoming to take advantage of the great fishing and hunting in those states as well.  Elk, both mule deer and whitetail, pronghorn, wolves, bear, cougar, and some bison are all within an easy drive of you.  Come up north and get into moose, as well.  I always buy a "Sportsman's Package" which includes all the state licenses and tags, plus muzzleloader and archery permits, and that also includes the fishing license with steelhead and salmon permits.  All of this is only $117.00/year.  You'll have to be a resident for 6 months before you can buy resident hunting and fishing license, so be sure to go get your Idaho driver's license as soon as you get here.
Anyway, that's it in a nutshell, so welcome and have fun.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline jrchurch254a

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:57 AM »
I grew up in Idaho Falls, hunted from Island Park all the way down the eastern boarder to Montpellier.  The hunting is good, but you will work for the game, while one poster did mention the country isnt as rough as the Salmon area it is not for the faint of heart.  The area spans from high desert plain to very dense forests and alpine regions.  The big whitetails are taking over the river bottoms of the Snake River and the Mule deer are more spead out.  Elk populations are pretty good depending on who you talk to, I am sure the wolves have impacted the area some.  Upland game birds are not as good as they once were, it seems when the bottom fell out of the fur market no one wanted to trap and the preditors are keeping the numbers down.  Forest grouse (ruffed and blue) are always a "target of opportunity" when big game hunting.  I never passed up a chance to kill a few forest grouse for the pot.  I have been gone for nearly 20 years (thanks to the United States Army) but have close friends that keep me up to date and a couple friends that are Fish and Game officers and it seems like they always fill their tags each year.  You have to get out and pound the brush sometimes, especially when it is hot but there is a lot of federal and state land to hunt, but work you will unless you get lucky or settle for "meat" hunting.  The gun laws are pretty liberal (no reference to political preference), but the natives are a bit reserved for out of staters, not aggressively so but they do keep an eye on them when it comes to giving out hunting and fishing hot spots. Lets see what else.....oh, it is a great place to live and raise a family.  In fact my wife and I have sent our daughter back up to continue her junior and high school education and live with relatives.  Only two more years and I can retire, I hope to return to eastern Idaho and rebuild our lives there.  Good Luck!!

Chief
Chief