Poll

Do you check you're varmits insides before you eat it?

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: January 08, 2004, 05:42:37 PM

Author Topic: I was taught...  (Read 843 times)

Offline volshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
I was taught...
« on: January 01, 2004, 05:42:37 PM »
Every since I was a toddler I was told to check the liver of ANY game taken. If the liver showed any spots or discoloration...don't eat it! Also I as told never take any game that didn't act right. As I sit here with a belly full of squirrel & quail, and a little deer jerkey to snack on , I want to ask if any of y'all was taught the same thing? This season I've thrown away a few tree rats that had spots on the liver. Now remember that my mom's family has been traced to East TN before 1776 and dad's family was here before white man got here. Is this a myth or have any of y'all heard of this practice???
Rick :D [if it don't act right...don't eat it]

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
I was taught...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 06:25:13 PM »
Well, I was always taught that if you want your body to be able to have a strong immunity and fight off bad bacterias, ya's gotta expose yourself to em at some point and just suck it up. I think that's one reason I've always been for the most part healthy, cause of all that swimmin' we done when we was younguns down close to the nuclear plant.

One things fer sure, if we wasn't supposed to eat any game that didn't act right, we wouldn't never get to eat any skwerls. Them acurn crunchin' skwerls is a menace to society!

I'll have one fried and two with gravy PLEASE!  :lol:
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
I was taught...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 10:58:18 PM »
I just shake a lot of Tabsco on 'em and get down to business :)   Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
check the liver
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 10:30:11 AM »
My father always told me to be sure to check the liver on rabbits. I don't remember him saying  anything about other animals.

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
I was taught...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 01:05:58 PM »
My father wouldn't take us for rabbits until after the first freeze. He said that some rabbits had worms or something like that and a good freeze would kill them off. I don't know how much truth there was to that. All of our other game we really didn't worry about to much. We just make sure that we cook it enough to kill any bacteria.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
I was taught...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 10:19:26 PM »
BB,your father probably meant "wolves" in rabbits,tree rat,ect..My father also taught to wait till after a good frost.              Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
I was taught...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 11:27:27 PM »
"wolves" in rabbits yea wait till cold season.....spots in liver??? that must be where all that moon shine I hid went to, dang little tree rats :gun4:  :yeah:  :jeep:  :toast:
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor