Author Topic: Ivy league prestiege on the line  (Read 1011 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Ivy league prestiege on the line
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:12:24 AM »
    We all know..or are supposed to anyway, that the ivy league schools are the epitome of intellectual elegance; so why are some of us not impressed ?  Perhaps because they come out with stupid, left leaning, politically biased studies.
       http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/07/july-4th-july-fourth-parade-fireworks-republicans.html

Tell me now that these birds are brilliant !
  First off, they separate by Democrat vs Republican.  They are a bit slow, with recent events, liberal vs conservative would be more appropriate.
  They may have taken a survey somewhere, which showed that more attendees at patriotic parades were conservative than liberal.  Well DUH!...
  Is it just possible that those on the conservative side are simply more patriotic and more likely to attend patriotic functions ?  I submit that people don't attend parades to become more conservative/patriotic...but rather because they already are patriotic. 
   In (Isaiah 1:18a) the Lord says "come, let us reason together..."
  Let's do that now.. Answer the following questions...with either "conservative" or "liberal"..

A) Who is more likely to siphon funds from, rather than pay taxes to the federal treasury ?

B) Who is more likely to want our nation to obey international law, rather than to assert our soveriegnty ?

C) Who wants us to stay dependant on foreign oil, rather trhan to use our own ?

D) Who has in past years been guilty of abusing our homecoming troops ?

E) Who keeps saying our constitution is a "living, breathing" document, subject to whimsical changes ?

F) Which is more likely to burn the flag ?

G) Which is more inclined to condemn the US in it's relations with other nations ?

H) Which is overwhelmingly represented by the fighting troops who preserve our freedom ?

I) Which is eager to call our fighting men/women  cruel and "cold blooded killers", while virtually ignoring atrocities by our enemy ?

J) Which is ever ready to cut the military budget & wages..but resistant to cut welfare and other frills, like NEA, community activists, Nat Endowment for the arts etc ?

K) Which is most willing to have our borders violated regularly ?

L) Which wants illegal fence jumpers and line buckers to be granted full citizenship ?

M) Which is more inclined to honor the traditionally American practices and habits (e.g. God, family, country, individualism, individual rights, 2nd amendment and the full Bill of Rights) ?

I could go on for hours, but which side has PROVEN itself to be very disinterested in thje usual patriotic pursuits ?

You can answer it for yourself..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ivy league prestiege on the line
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:48:06 AM »
IRONGLOW. Just a guess here, a stab in the dark, uhhhhhhh, hmmmmmmmm, uhhhhh, liberals?? How'd I do?? POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:12:36 AM »
Because even the dropouts become billionaires

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:48:09 AM »

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." (Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV)   ;) :D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:19:39 AM »
Funny isn't it !  Virtually no debate from the left leaners here...must be all points are valid !

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:14:49 AM »
Typical college spue. How many college professors have ever been out in the real world and held a job in a private business. Most live in their own world and don't have a clue as to how the real world operate's. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:19 AM »
My cuz got degrees from one Ivy and taught at 2 others. He still does DOD contracting that keeps you and your kids every day.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." (Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV)   ;) :D
  I have read a lot of and learned much from the Bible, but I have missed this passage in the past..... boy do I love it!   Thanks for sharing..
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline lollypop

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »
"If you're not a lefty when young and at university then you have no heart, however, if you're not on the right when older, you have no brain"..... ;)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »
"If you're not a lefty when young and at university then you have no heart, however, if you're not on the right when older, you have no brain"..... ;)
I believe the actual quote was:
"Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head."
- Francois Guisot

Seems like I read a while back that this is often incorrectly attributed to Winston Churchill...

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:45 AM »
TM;
  Your efforts at misdirection are interesting, but most are not valid besides being figments of conspiratorial mindsets.  If you review the question. I didn't open it to fictional organizations or even individuals.  I simply asked which of the two philosophies, conservative or liberal were likely to react in a predicted, more or less anti-American manner.
   You failed in most all your answers but I believe most here "got it'...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  I do take some umbrage with your reply to question "H)"..

" H) Which is overwhelmingly represented by the fighting troops who preserve our freedom ?
   Your answer..
unemployed young men"
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

While you seem to be implying that those involved in our military, our troops...would be one of the least qualified and quite unemployable..     
    I MUST PROTEST!  I believe our military represents much of the "cream of the crop" of our young people !

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:03 AM »
TM, that's not entirely true.  My son joined the National Guard to get extra money for school.  He said in his group of about 40, only 8 were black.  There are far more unemployed young black men than any other.  A LOT of young guys join to get money for school.  College education costs more than when I went as a percentage of what you could earn back then. 

Offline us920669

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:08:46 AM »
Our top schools are second to none for the hard sciences or certain business or professional programs, but many students end up with a totally useless degree.  The day is coming when people will be unwilling or unable to scrimp and save their whole lives so they can send their kids off to gather at the feet of a complete nitwit and lose whatever common sense they ever had.  This is no doubt why Obama and company are working quietly to complicate things for the for-profit colleges, where a person can actually learn something useful. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:23:39 AM »
  Colleges are more and more becoming a racket for the "educators" and professors.  Check with any current student on how much a cheesy little text book costs and how much it is needed. 
Some of them incluce a CD or DVD which is the real study material and they have fixed it so many of these books cannot for a low price, be sold or passed cheaply to the incoming underclassmen to use.  It's becoming a racket !

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:31:14 AM »
This is no doubt why Obama and company are working quietly to complicate things for the for-profit colleges, where a person can actually learn something useful.

Having once TAUGHT at a for profit college, I can say that's not really the case.  Most of them are unaccredited "certificate factories" where people are promised the world to get them to sign up, only to be taught only the most rudimentary of stuff and handed a piece of paper with no weight whatsoever when it comes to finding a job.  I got out of it because I couldn't stand the charade any longer.  Sadly, I've seen several of my former students since leaving a few years ago.  The vast majority were working either in a fast food place or a grocery store checkout line.

Here's a tidbit: while they might not be technically "for profit", most all of the "Ivy League" schools are private institutions doing their own thing.  There is little to no public funding going there.  Now, if you look instead at the publicly funded schools: the big state universities, the technical universities, even the community colleges - virtually all of them are teaching real world skills and doing it at a good price. They give the students not only a usefully education, but an actual degree from an accredited school.

I attended Clemson University myself.  My total student loan debt after graduating was less than $25,000.  My degree is nationally accredited, and it's from a school that isn't famous for navel gazing.  It has one of the best engineering and science programs in the area.  Our textile research facilities were particularly well noted, and had been instrumental in developing the tiles used to protect the space shuttle during rentry, as well as a lot of the materials used in our current space suits. 

If you want to blast the "ivy league" schools, be my guest.  I consider most of them to be overpriced, though depending on your choice of major most of them still offer a very good education (just at a pretty penny).  Most of those "for profit" schools like Devry, ITT, and other such ilk are little more than scams though.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 06:31:15 AM »
Yep, that is especially true with ancient through middle age history.  Why change a good history book.  Also, basic math and calculus doesn't change that much.  Same with literature.  Only modern history and modern writers would be added as time goes on.  Same with English.  The basics NEVER change. 

I also know that Auburn University in East Alabama has a LOT of ROTC students, and a lot of ex military going to school on the GI bills of various kinds.  There is especially a lot in the Engineering school, and in Aviation Managment.  They use the ROTC students to parade out on the football field before the game with the flag for the national anthem.  All branches are represented in their various dress uniforms.  Looks good.  (War Eagle #1)

Offline us920669

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
Thank you, MGM, you learn something new every day.  Forums like this are very educational.  Someone once said "Education is a door; you still have to go through it".

I used to service equipment at - I think it was a branch of U of Phoenix, but maybe not.  What I saw there left me with a good impression. I also often visited a local community college, and got the feeling they were doing the work high school should have done.  I never took any courses, just saw what they were working on.

The textbook racket has been around for a long time, but I understand it has reached absurd proportions today.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
When I was going to Auburn, I worked and paid my own way.  I was 4-F with ashma.  Otherwise I would have gone into ROTC.  Today, tuition is higher as well as books, and working is not enough to cover the costs unless you go part time to school.  Not saying poor only go into military.  Lots of middle class kids in military.  That being said, Alabama is about 1/3 black, so 8 out of 40 in my sons platoon isn't 33%.  A lot of poor don't get into military today because of the tests they have to make a minimum to get in.  Also, they are given a drug test and if positive, they don't make it in.  The extreme poor are not in the military, they are either drop outs, in which the military doesn't take, or they don't test high enough, or they have used drugs.  Only the poor in the military is a false assumption base on "educated liberal" assumptions.  Sorry, but with an all volunteer military, it can pick and choose who they want in.  Auburn also has a co-op program for juniors and seniors, where they work a quarter and go to school a quarter.  This takes a little longer, but it opens the door for a job when you graduate.   

Offline lollypop

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »
I believe the actual quote was:
"Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head."
- Francois Guisot

Seems like I read a while back that this is often incorrectly attributed to Winston Churchill...
Hmmm...Actually I did not even know that someone else came up with a quote beforehand. What I wrote were MY thoughts quoted by ME without hearing anything alike elsewhere.

Iether way the essence of the expression is clear...

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 04:36:03 AM »
For profit schools are the ones with internet pop up ads.

The Ivies are not for profit. That they have endowments which make them look like Fortune 1000 corps is due to their students graduating and achieveing some degree of success financially. And then giving back to one of the sources of their success.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »
When I was going to Auburn, I worked and paid my own way.  I was 4-F with ashma.  Otherwise I would have gone into ROTC.  Today, tuition is higher as well as books, and working is not enough to cover the costs unless you go part time to school.  Not saying poor only go into military.  Lots of middle class kids in military.  That being said, Alabama is about 1/3 black, so 8 out of 40 in my sons platoon isn't 33%.  A lot of poor don't get into military today because of the tests they have to make a minimum to get in.  Also, they are given a drug test and if positive, they don't make it in.  The extreme poor are not in the military, they are either drop outs, in which the military doesn't take, or they don't test high enough, or they have used drugs.  Only the poor in the military is a false assumption base on "educated liberal" assumptions.  Sorry, but with an all volunteer military, it can pick and choose who they want in.  Auburn also has a co-op program for juniors and seniors, where they work a quarter and go to school a quarter.  This takes a little longer, but it opens the door for a job when you graduate.

You're right... my neighbor is a recruiter instructor for the USAF here at Lackland AFB.  He states that the AF has no interest in talking to any recruit with any drug use history OR an ASVAB composite of less than 68.  The won't even talk to a dropout.  Some GED's can get in the door if they test high enough but few do.  All of that and the line to get in is around 7000 long.  That's the basic quota going in every month PLUS 7000 fully qualified applicants waiting to get in.  The AF in particular has NO need of drug users, criminals or those who can't meet the test minimums.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"