Author Topic: Dead Chrony  (Read 671 times)

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • Contributor
Dead Chrony
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »
I have a Crony Beta Master that after spending years in the closet  registered about 20-30 shots and now reads ERR 1 for each shot. Fresh batteries have been installed. Can't find a contact for the Crony outfit.
Are these things just throw-away?   G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

NRA Life Member since '72

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Dead Chrony
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
Contact them if you've followed their trouble shooting steps.

Tim
http://www.shootingchrony.com/manual_BG.htm#TS

http://www.shootingchrony.com/address.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
When I see ERR 1 on my F-1 model it's about the light.
It'll show up during an evening shooting session as the sun dips behind the burm or if it suddelny get's cloudy.
Follow their tips, clean the eye element(s) like you would a scope lens.
found elsewhere

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »
Thank you Tim
I'll sit down and write them an old fashioned letter now that I have an address.  G66

Necchi,It was cloudy but it was also cloudy last time I used it.Next time I'll take the sunscreens off.I don't use it often 'cause it's just so much trouble to drag all that stuff to the range
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
"New" batteries can be just as dead as the old ones and battery contacts need cleaning periodically.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:39:27 AM »
send it in and theyll charge you as much to fix it as a new one cost.
blue lives matter

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:01:05 AM »
The folks at Chorny are a bunch of jerks and I would never do business with them again!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:14:48 AM »
care to explain for the rest of us?

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:51:53 AM »
When I first read your post title, I thought here we go again, another Chrony with a bullet hole thru it. Before I would go to the trouble of sending it back, I would experiment with the light, they are touchy, too much or not enough and they will give you fits.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 07:08:43 AM »
Thank you Tim
I'll sit down and write them an old fashioned letter now that I have an address.  G66

Necchi,It was cloudy but it was also cloudy last time I used it.Next time I'll take the sunscreens off.I don't use it often 'cause it's just so much trouble to drag all that stuff to the range

I have the F-1 Master, I always use the diffusers regardless of the light conditions and never have a problem with errors unless I'm shooting at multiple target boards that at too far apart which results in the bullet only passing over one sensor. I super glued the 3-pc diffusers together so they don't have to be assembled and won't fall apart, also use 1/8" dowels for supports to make them easier set up, also if I nick one of the supports, it may not destroy the sensor as it surely would with the steel rods. FWIW, I consider the $80 Shootingchrony some of the best money I've ever spent on shooting equipment.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:20:13 AM »

I have the F-1 Master, I always use the diffusers regardless of the light conditions and never have a problem with errors unless I'm shooting at multiple target boards that at too far apart which results in the bullet only passing over one sensor. I super glued the 3-pc diffusers together so they don't have to be assembled and won't fall apart, also use 1/8" dowels for supports to make them easier set up, also if I nick one of the supports, it may not destroy the sensor as it surely would with the steel rods. FWIW, I consider the $80 Shootingchrony some of the best money I've ever spent on shooting equipment.  ;)

Tim

+1  I agree completely.  Some guys can bad mouth them all they want and it still won't change the fact that this is a good piece of equipment for the money.  My Chrony readings are almost identical to my Ohler that cost me a LOT more money and the Chrony is much easier to use.

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
My first Chrony was one of the higher end ones with the various readouts. I ended up giving it to a nephew and then I bought the cheapest one, refurb, for about $50. After ten years it died and I figure it doesn't owe me anything. Sent it back to Chrony as a trade-in on a new one just like it. Am just as happy with this one as the former one. It does no arithmetic. It just gives you the velocity of the last shot on its readout screen. It holds that until you shoot over it again or turn it off.

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »
Calvon
If I have to buy another one I will also buy the cheapest and simplest one available.Most of us don't need all the frills. I bought the Beta model for the remote readout and that part is convienent.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »
Hey F-1 Chrony users, check out this thread, it really works!  ;)
  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,234242.0.html
found elsewhere