Author Topic: ROA Accuracy  (Read 901 times)

Offline Good time Charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
ROA Accuracy
« on: January 02, 2004, 03:39:05 AM »
I had moved my target back as close to 100 yd. as I. Could get to. (the trees on my place just wont grow the proper distance.) about 85 yd. to sight in my GPR rifle. While I was at it I took some shots at that distance with my ROA with drop in 45 cylinder. Shooting Winchester cowboy loads. It had been shooting about 6 in. high at 50 yd. so I figured it should be right on at this distance. Nope, it is 12 or more ins. high. I thought it should be dropping like crazy at this range. Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on. Are these smokeless powder bullets that strong?
                                                   Charlie

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
ROA Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 09:08:24 AM »
Wow, that is amazing. I have never shot any of my ROAs past 25 yards. I shoot CAS and mostly I see targets out about 10-15 yards. I of course had to file my sights since I only shoot a 30gr BP load in mine. I can't figure how you could be so high at 50 yards, smokeless cartridges or not. I hope some others come in to give us their input. I wonder what a load of say 45gr and a good .457 ball would do? I am not sure I can hit anything at 50 yds with my rifle either. CAS has ruined me  :-)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

• Avid Poster
ROA
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 01:09:52 PM »
Howdey that was shooting from a sand bag on a bench. I had three targets on a peace of cardboard about 14 in. wide and 3 ft. high. After the first few rounds Was shooting at the middle target and put all but two or three in the top target or on either side of it. Had it been a silhouette I would have had them all in it.
                                           Charlie

Offline Watt

ROA Accuracy
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 02:46:49 PM »
Howdy Good Time Charlie,

I think what you're seeing is the difference in the weight of the projectile (plus higher velocity of the smokeless load).  

The ROA sights are based on using a .457 round ball that weighs in at around 148 grains.  When you use a heavier projectile, the bullet will impact higher on the target.  When I shot cartridge in my ROAs with R&D conversions at 10 to 30 yards, I usually had to hold closer to 6 o'clock instead of my blackpowder hold at center of target.  I was shooting 250 grain bullets reloaded to about the same velocity as my BP, around 725 FPS.

If the smokeless load is faster, like 800 or 850 FPS, it will also change the impact point.

There's a couple of us who shoot Vaqueroes, .45 LC at 85 to 1-200 yards.  With cowboy smokeless ammo there's some drop at 100, but the Vaqueroes are sighted on modern ammo and heavier projectiles.  The .45 LC shoots pretty well at 100 yards.

I have loaded ROA roundball in .45 LC cartridges and shot them in my Vaqueroes.  They hit quite low compared to the 250 grain bullets the Vaqueroes were sighted on.

Hope this helps,

Watt
Well now, that was exhilirating!

• Avid Poster
ROA
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 04:04:33 PM »
Watt it sounds like you have it right. I am going to try the same shots with C&B as soon as the weather gets better. I think with the lighter ball I will be shooting way low. Thanks for the input.
                                          Charlie

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
ROA Accuracy
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 01:43:28 PM »
Full loads in a standard ROA with roundball will scare or break a 1000fps and sights are set up accordingly.  When using the cowboy loads they hit higher due to the different recoil effect.  While the overall recoil may not seem much different, possibly even milder, there are other factors at work.  First the heavier bullets give the effect of heavier recoil causing the piece to rotate upward in the hand a bit more.  Second, the very low velocity of the cowboy loads causes the bullet to remain in the barrel for a longer period during this rotation.  These contribute to the bullet actually exiting the barrel at a higher point in the recoil arc, therefore, using the same sights or sight setting,  they hit higher on the target than the standard loose powder loads.

Offline Louis Farrugia

• http://www.dolphinforge.com
ROGER & SPENCER .44
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 01:56:10 AM »
HI WATT
I AM LOUIS FROM MALTA EUROPE>
I USE ROGER& SPENCER.44 cal
I USE .454 BALL 16g POWDER VECTAN GROPING AT 25 YARDS IN 5"
SINGLE HAND,
WHAT IS THE BEST LOAD FOR THIS GUN  AT 25 YARDS .
WHAT IS ROA

BEST REGARDS
LOUIS

FROM THE ISLAND OF SUNSHINE.

Quote from: Watt
Howdy Good Time Charlie,

I think what you're seeing is the difference in the weight of the projectile (plus higher velocity of the smokeless load).  

The ROA sights are based on using a .457 round ball that weighs in at around 148 grains.  When you use a heavier projectile, the bullet will impact higher on the target.  When I shot cartridge in my ROAs with R&D conversions at 10 to 30 yards, I usually had to hold closer to 6 o'clock instead of my blackpowder hold at center of target.  I was shooting 250 grain bullets reloaded to about the same velocity as my BP, around 725 FPS.

If the smokeless load is faster, like 800 or 850 FPS, it will also change the impact point.

There's a couple of us who shoot Vaqueroes, .45 LC at 85 to 1-200 yards.  With cowboy smokeless ammo there's some drop at 100, but the Vaqueroes are sighted on modern ammo and heavier projectiles.  The .45 LC shoots pretty well at 100 yards.

I have loaded ROA roundball in .45 LC cartridges and shot them in my Vaqueroes.  They hit quite low compared to the 250 grain bullets the Vaqueroes were sighted on.

Hope this helps,

Watt

• Avid Poster
ROA
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 02:33:41 PM »
Louis
        The ROA is Rugar Old Army. I have the drop in cylinder with mine so I can shoot it as cap and ball or with the drop in I can shoot .45 long colt cowboy load cartridges.
                          Charlie

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
ROA Accuracy
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 12:40:47 AM »
Louis

You're using a light load, unless Vectan (never heard of it) is a lot more powerful than Goex or Swiss.  Can you load a ball on just 16gr. and get it tight on the powder, or are you using an overpowder wad?  

I'm using something like 20-22gr. Goex in my Rogers & Spencer, haven't weighted the actual load recently so don't remember exactly what it is.  

Wayne
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!