Author Topic: Question on model cannon  (Read 673 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Question on model cannon
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:54:13 AM »
This cannon is from a long past auction; does anyone have any suggestions as to how that "apparatus" on top of the breech operates to fire the piece?

"HOMEMDE STEEL SIGNAL CANNON On a red-painted wooden truck with cast iron wheels. Length of cannon 19.5''  Overall length 33'', 1-inch bore."

Photos - Eldred's Auctioneers and Appraisers

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Question on model cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:29:05 AM »
Cannoneer,
Maybe one piece is a horizontal, spring loaded plunger that is pulled back till it locks in place.  The lever on top is pulled with a lanyard to the rear and releases the plunger.  The flat surface on the front of the plunger strikes something that is missing and should be mounted where the four screws are.  It looks like the vent hole could be between the two front screws.
I just made all that up. ;D
Its possible.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »
A part is missing that sits on top of the vent, looks like it broke off or something.  The cylindrical thing to the right of the vent in 2nd pic has a horizontally-acting striker, cocked by pulling to right.  The sear shaft is vertical and is pulled up by the lever with brass handle, when brass handle is pushed downward..  That releases the strriker which then impacts some kind of cap or primer in the missing piece.  The missing piece communicates the flame to the vent.  Bang!

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
+1 for striker with missing anvil
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:16:12 AM »
Thanks. I agree with all of your opinions, the metal piece attached over the vent by four screws evidently had a top part broken off, and there must have been a nipple facing the striker where the cap was originally placed.
I wish I'd seen this auction when it was active, because in 2007 this gun sold for 115 bucks.

Scroll down to Lot #501   
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=eldred's+steel+cannon&view=detail&id=4CE6A8CF8F30A44AE24C87AA261E013246877370&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.