Author Topic: BaseGuard questions  (Read 692 times)

Offline vinconco

• Trade Count: (0)
BaseGuard questions
« on: January 02, 2004, 04:39:35 AM »
Hi All  :D
  First time poster with questions...

Has anyone used Daves' base guards and if so how well do they stay on the bullet?  Seems like a good idea but only if they consistantly stay on in flight.  (for accuracy)  Didn't see them listed in .50 so I may have to make them.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
BaseGuard questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 03:23:01 PM »
Hello vinconco, :D

I have used the base guards on .45 pistol, they work fine and dandy.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline vinconco

BaseGuard questions
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 07:30:55 PM »
Donna;
   Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking about using these on fairly hot loads and need them to stay put in flight.   What was your load with the .45?  Cupped or flat base?  Autoloader?  Did you do any accuracy testing?

Thanks

Steve

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
BaseGuard questions
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 03:20:54 PM »
The base guard has its own base, as you swage them a small button of lead is extruded through a hole in the base guard and expanded to hold the base guard on to the bullet. It is unlikely that the lead will melt off for the small amount of time it is in the barrel. The base guard rotates with the bullet and is as accurate as a bullet with a gas check. I have fired them in both the .45 LC and ACP and they preformed fine.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
BaseGuard questions
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 12:24:01 PM »
I use the base guard in my .45-120 and .45-70 with good results.I load with 1F goex and I found In the 120 I have to add 4 .060 fiber wads to tame the load a little.
I was getting gas cuts.The fiber wads are for gas seal.
Kurt.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.