Author Topic: 300 win mag browning bar  (Read 283 times)

Offline sturgeonhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
300 win mag browning bar
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »
I'm new to reloading for the bar. I want to shoot the partition bullets do they need to be crimped? thanks friends

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: 300 win mag browning bar
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:26:13 AM »
 I wouldn't expect a definitive answer. Many will say they never do & it works fine, then some manuals will say to crimp for a semi-auto. I'm kinda  somewhere in the middle, though I've reloaded much more for my AR's than the 2 BARs. I will 1st say that a case not properly resized will give you more fits when it slams home than the crimping issue.

The factor with the crimp is 1st how firmly is the bullet held in the neck with tension? I have some bullet/brass combinations where it's not that firm, especially evident with 300WSM brass & military 150 grn FMJ bullets. I submit that if your brass is properly resized & your bullet is held firmly, you will not need additional crimp. If you want a touch of crimp that Lee factory crimp die works well. With the FCD you can easily apply just a touch & leave it at that if desired.

Especially with a semi-auto & hunting ammo it's important to check fit & function of the ammo before going on the hunt. JMHO
NRA, Veteran