Author Topic: Identifying manufacturer  (Read 977 times)

Offline rockledr

• Trade Count: (0)
Identifying manufacturer
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »
I just purchased several blackpowder revolvers and need help identifying the manufacturers. I have read somewhere about the manufacturers marks. The ones I need help with are as follows. The first one is a 51 Navy 36 cal. It has all of the normal Italian proof marks. Under the loading lever it has "FAF". The other two are also 51 Navies the have "COM" under the loading lever. One of those two also has SILE-INC NEW YORK on the barrel. I have attached pictures of the first one along with it's original box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Identifying manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »
Howdy,

The marking on the first one is probably FAP instead of FAF.  It stands for F.lli Pietta.  The COM marking is anybodies guess.  The replica collectors have been trying to figure that one out for years.  Sile, Inc would be the company that imported the pistol.  There should be a date code somewhere on the frame of them.  Probably the right side of the frame.  Here is a link to a webpage that will help decipher the proof marks and date codes.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

From the pictures, you picked up some good lookin revolvers that ought to make good shooters.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline rockledr

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
Thank you Sir. I have read your answers on many threads and admired your collections. I have checked out the link you posted several times trying to figure out the guns. The one is definately a Pietta the other two were sold as Euroarms but I couldn't find any marks on them. The guns are all dated between 75 and 78 and have'n't been shot as far as I can tell. They are gummed up with 35 year old packing grease. Here is a pic of the six I recently bought. I have the boxes for all but there are no manufacturer names on them.

Offline bprevolver

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »
Is the box you pictured the one the Pietta came in?   What is the date code on the Pietta?  Also, you said the other two have COM under the loading lever, and Sile on the barrel.  Were these sold as Euroarms?  What do the boxes look like, anything on boxes, serial number match box, papers in box????

I have been trying to identify the COM marking for over 17yrs without luck.  Some speculation but nothing concrete.  If the two you have were sold as Euroarms this presents another question.

Your help would be appreciated.

Just in case, have you visited the Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association web site?  If not you may find it interesting.     http://rprca.tripod.com

Offline rockledr

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The box pictured is the Pietta box. The Pietta is date coded 75. The two unidentified ones are dated 77. I will get a pic of the other two boxes later today, (camera battery dead). The serial numbers on the boxes match the revolvers. There was no paperwork with the boxes. I bought all of the guns from an pawn shop estate sale. The shop said these two were Euroarms. Any help we can give each other with identifying these would be great.

Thanks,
Greg