Author Topic: Nano Cannon shooting accessories  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Microboomer

• Trade Count: (0)
Nano Cannon shooting accessories
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »
Ok, I foolishly mentioned in another thread that I would do this, so here it is!  I'm particularly interested in seeing what implements people use for their tiny cannon/mortars.
Here's what I have - the good, the bad, and the ugly:

(Click for a larger image)

I'll start at the top with the Bad.  When I first built my brass BB mortar I was using a fuse that barely fit into my vent and I had ignition problems. At the top of the picture are a couple of pieces of 1/16" drill rod that I used to scrape out burnt fuse (with care after waiting several minutes).  These are BAD because they're made of steel and therefore a spark hazard, particularly if used on a steel vent. The second one from the top worked best - if you look close you can see that I ground the end like a D-bit reamer. I need to make another one of these in brass.

Below those is a piece of pipe cleaner, which works great for cleaning out vents 1/16" or larger after firing.  Unfortunately, I'm now trying smaller vents and the pipe cleaner is too large!  Right now I use the paper clip to push gunk into  the bore where I can clean it out with a Q-tip. 

I still haven't got around to turning down a dowel the right size for a ramrod (working tiny pieces of metal is fun, but turning small pieces of wood is not my cup of tea!),  so I'm using a Q-tip w the cotton removed - UGLY!

Finally we get to the two GOOD implements, but the first is definitely Ugly as well.  The blue thing is my vent charger made from disposable micropipet tips (used for measuring tiny amounts of liquid in chemistry labs). I cut the end off of a recycled tip so that the hole is just big enough for 3F powder to pass through easily into my vents.  It works MUCH better than bare fingers and mandatory reading glasses, which was my former technique!  I melted the end of a second tip closed with a burner and cut it off to make a cap.  I just wish it didn't look so much like something slapped together in a chemistry lab!

At the bottom is the only tool I'm completely happy with.  My 2-grain powder scoop is a chopped off .22LR casing soldered onto a scrap of 3/16" brass rod.  I found that I can reliably scoop between 125-130mg of 3F with it (130mg = 2gr).  In a pinch, I can use the handle as a ramrod with my firecracker cannon.

Oh wait!  I forgot my bore gage.  I guess I have 3 tools I'm happy with...

Before I made the BB mortar I wanted to know the actual diameter of typical BB's, but I couldn't find the info on the net.  I miked 20 BB's and found that most were between .172" and .173", with none larger than .174".  I made my BB bores with this assumption in mind, but started thinking that 20 BB's is not  a very large sample.  A bore gage seems like a good idea anyway.
I decided to make a gage that would fit into the standard Daisy tube as a cap, so I could dump out the BB's and then drop them back into the tube through the gage.  I tried to make the cutoff .173", and in the end I got a bore that passes BB's smaller than .1732".  I had to forge a 1/8" boring bar and a holder for my boring head, and make a second gage after I screwed up the first one  ;D , but it was a good learning experience!  I screened 272 BB's (counting by weight) and found that only 35 were larger than the gage (the largest diameter was .1749", in case anybody wonders!)

OK, that's what I've got.  I'd love to see what other people are using so I can copy your ideas!
andy

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Nano Cannon shooting accessories
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
Being an avid air rifle shooter, as well as an avid flintlock shooter (among other things) I had several items on hand that are most useful.  Brass cleaning rod, bore brush, and bore mop are all .177 air rifle size.  The brass powder dispenser is a pan primer, and it throws about 1.3 grains of 3F per charge.  I use 4 charges per shot for aproximately 5 grains with a pellet. As for the vent I just use a tooth pick when it needs attention.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Microboomer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »
I like the pan primer!  I haven't been able to find one locally, except as part of a kit with flints and such.  I might break down and buy one online at some point...
andy

Offline keith44

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:15:39 AM »
I like the pan primer!  I haven't been able to find one locally, except as part of a kit with flints and such.  I might break down and buy one online at some point...
andy

It works well with 3F and 4F, I have never tried anything coarser.  I ordered this one from Dixie Gun works.

Life member NRA

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:31:17 AM »
I use 1/8" wood dowel for the rammer with the BB cannon and mortar and the 1/8" cannon.  The 1/8" cannon has a 9/64" bore.  For a swab I use a pipe cleaner doubled over and single for the BB vent.  The vent for the 1/8" cannon is 1/32" [.031"]  so I use a oxy/ace torch tip cleaner to clean it between firing.  Dom

Offline keith44

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
for between shots I have spring steel "vent picks".  For cleaning after the shooting I flood with hot water then flood the vent with "black-solve", then dry after swabbing the bore I put a few drops of "Ballistol" in the vent and on the bore mop (all sizes that I own) and swab the bore again.  The oil in the vent combines with any water and it becomes part of the protectant. Then the cannon is set aside with the muzzle down so anything wet (excess water soluable oil mixture) to drain.  Pics of the picks  ::)  to follow...

Life member NRA

Offline keith44

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »
Ok pick pics  ::)   The small one is 0.050" diameter and the large one is 0.095".  They are paterned after torch tip cleaners, but smooth sided.
Life member NRA