Author Topic: Redfield Revolution Info  (Read 587 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Redfield Revolution Info
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:02:42 AM »
A relative of mine and I do quite a bit of shooting and discussing everything gun related. He checked into my new Redfields and inquired at Leupold about the optics, price and mechanicals between the Rifleman and VX1's vs the new Redfield line. This is what he found out and emailed me. He was somewhat skeptical but now has some Redfields as well.

The cost savings come from the separate assembly line. The build time on the Redfield is reduced a bit due to the simplified guts.They are so simplified that the custom shop reticles and turrets cannot be installed. Also the parts are more simply shaped and not as nicely finished and anodized.

The guys at Leupold tell me that internally, the Redfields are more like the Vari X scopes they made 30 years ago. They also tell me they are about the toughest hunting scopes they make because of that.

Frankly, I feel the Redfields are a hell of a deal for a Leupold made product . Based on my direct comparisons against VX-1 glass, there is NO WAY I would spend any money on a gold ring scope over a new Redfield until I got to a VX-2 level scope.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Redfield Revolution Info
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:02:22 AM »
I think they are an ok scope for the money.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
I have had very good service with mine on a 12ga. slug gun. I realy like the circle crosshair on the Acc-Range. In it's price range it's one of the best hunting scopes out there. I think the glass is better than some of the Leupolds I've checked.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »
i had two. they had decent glass for the money but didnt track worth squat and neither held zero well. Both made a trip back to the factory and one went back twice before it was replaced. I sold them both and dont miss them. Might work on a rifle that is sighted with one load that will be the only load it shoots but my guns get differnt loads all the time and i detest a scope that doesnt adjust well.
blue lives matter

Offline 6x6 elk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »
I got one when they first came out (3-9x40) and have had it on my 338 win mag. and it has held up great!! Optics are good( for the money) andtracking has not been a problem. In my opinoin great scope for the money.