Author Topic: Micro Breechloading Cannon  (Read 2202 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Micro Breechloading Cannon
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:21:07 AM »
I just finished a 25 caliber breechloading naval gun. [I can't get the image link to work.]

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Micro Breechloading Cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:26:50 AM »
Looks good Dom...

About the image link it's the new software upgrade.  The default is WYSIWYG- what you see is what you get.  To get out of that mode click on the togged view icon

Then when you copy the IMG Code from my hosted pictures and you post your message the pictures will show as before/

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 05:29:34 AM »
That's a mighty good looking little cannon that you've built, Dom. Are there any plans to make something similar in a larger bore? Just wondering.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 05:55:55 AM »
That's a might good looking little cannon that you've built, Dom. Are there any plans to make something similar in a larger bore? Just wondering.

I made this in my spare time.  I'm thinking of a 36 and 50 caliber version.  Maybe with a field carriage.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:56:07 AM »
Just think of the possibilities , that is up there on the cool factor .  ;D

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:25:41 AM »
That is a nice lookin' little Breech-Loader, Dom! Is that what you went to Scotland to get the Cannon parts for?  ::) ( LOL ) Did you get that little episode rectified? It's no fun being hacked! Seriously tho,
a Breech-Loader in a .50 Caliber would be an awesome Desk Cannon...can't wait to see that one! Will you be planning on making them for sale, and do you have a price range in mind yet?
Thanks, BoomLover 
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
Way Cool . You have outdone yourself , again . Ed

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »
Yup - that opens up a lot of ideas for a few large bore (.45-.50) barrels residing here with no where to go and nothing to do.

:D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »
How about in .50 or .54 and use some of the many T/C barrels on eBay for stock?  You could get at least two made out of each full-length T/C barrel, maybe three.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
It's a hoot to shoot.  I had fun with it earlier today.  I attached a video link and a photo of a steel can I shot at from 3 feet.  The load I used was approx 8 grains of 4f with a 1/4" steel Daisy slingshot ball.  I'll make a better quality video of it at a later date.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  I am planning on making some for sale after I finish the Dahlgen and Dictator orders.  I'm not sure of which caliber yet. 

Also,  I'm wondering how a modern rifle barrel would work as far as the rifling twist rate is concerned.  What do you think?  This breech load design has a lot of possibilities for design variation.  It's not much different in concept than a cap & ball revolver.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »
It won't work. Lead bullets require a slow twist or they will not catch the rifling and will just lead the barrel.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline keith44

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »
depends on rate of twist.  I have one muzzleloader that has a 1:32 twist, and have heard of as fast as 1:28.  much faster and jeeper1 is right. 
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
I have shot lead bullets from my 1 in 10 .30 caliber rifles without any stripping of the rifling.  As long as you keep the loads down, it is OK.  And you should keep the loads down with small scale black powder cannon.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline keith44

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
I have shot lead bullets from my 1 in 10 .30 caliber rifles without any stripping of the rifling.  As long as you keep the loads down, it is OK.  And you should keep the loads down with small scale black powder cannon.

A hardened lead alloy, not pure lead like the typical muzzleloader bullets are, but you are also correct.   

Perhaps I should have said with soft alloy lead bullets jeeper1 would be correct, but harder alloy projectiles would work fine.   ;D
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 01:06:50 AM »
There ARE lots of variables with lead bullets in rifled barrels - but there ARE combinations that work well.

I think we're going to see a lot of innovation in this area ....    :D :D :D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jay29

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 06:47:20 AM »
Great little cannon!

Is their anyway you can make a half scale Whithwort 12 pounder? If I had your skills I would try that. The rifling would be very difficult I bet.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »
    I like it, Dom.  What aligns the chamber piece axis and the axis of the bore.  Is it a close tolerance fit of the chamber O.D. and the tube I.D. in the insertion area?  Is the bore the same dia. as the chamber I.D.?

As far as rifled bores and projectiles go, I think you would have a cartwheeling cannon in any bore size over .25 cal. if you drive the bullet fast enough for stabilization.  You would put DD's early experiments with his scale 42 Pdr. to shame!  The cannon does not look real heavy.  As a smoothbore, I bet it would be top notch!

Did Double D.'s 42 Pdr. do a 180 or was it a 360 before it came back to earth?  I can't recall.  ;D ;D

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
    I like it, Dom.  What aligns the chamber piece axis and the axis of the bore.  Is it a close tolerance fit of the chamber O.D. and the tube I.D. in the insertion area?  Is the bore the same dia. as the chamber I.D.?

As far as rifled bores and projectiles go, I think you would have a cartwheeling cannon in any bore size over .25 cal. if you drive the bullet fast enough for stabilization.  You would put DD's early experiments with his scale 42 Pdr. to shame!  The cannon does not look real heavy.  As a smoothbore, I bet it would be top notch!

Did Double D.'s 42 Pdr. do a 180 or was it a 360 before it came back to earth?  I can't recall.  ;D ;D

Tracy

only about 35 or 40 degrees at the most.  Click on it

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 03:15:11 AM »

Tracy

Tracy, 

The OD of the chamber piece fits snug into the tube and the rear of the barrel is chamfered slightly.  There is no powder chamber in this cannon.  If I made a rifled breech cannon, I guess it would be better as a swivel or sledge mount, yes?Here is a video of the first one I built several years ago for El caz.  It has a different shape chamber piece that I found unnecessary.  The 1/4" protrusion of the OD tube is all that is required for a smoothbore.  Rifling may be a different situation.   

Dom

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 03:19:47 AM »
    .... Did Double D.'s 42 Pdr. do a 180 or was it a 360 before it came back to earth?  I can't recall.  ;D ;D

Tracy

only about 35 or 40 degrees at the most.  Click on it

The ship rocked on that one!