Author Topic: For the religious right  (Read 4283 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: For the religious right
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:31 AM »
Modern cosmology made simple. 

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:31 AM »
If you read ther New Testament you will see what Christ called "His Church" is a group of followers or believers gathered together in His name - NOT a building.

You can worship and serve Him as His Church anywhere "where two or three are gathered".

BTW: I did not click on the link to the cartoon.
Giving Thanks To God Both in Plenty and in Want!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »
There is coming a time...soon, when every knee will bow.  Even the athiests.
Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 02:23:30 AM »
If you read ther New Testament you will see what Christ called "His Church" is a group of followers or believers gathered together in His name - NOT a building.

You can worship and serve Him as His Church anywhere "where two or three are gathered".

BTW: I did not click on the link to the cartoon.

That was a wise decision.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline Shu

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »
I get the joke, I just find it strange that a guy who stated he was a christian would post it. So according to Doonesbury and the OP if you went to a "good" college you would not believe in God. I do know a few folks that graduated from MIT, Harvard, Colorado School of Mines, CalPoly, Anapolis and West Point who are christians. I would consider those good colleges. Einstien considered a genius by many believed in God and his creation.
I would love for anyone to calculate the odds of a planet being exactly the right distance from a star, under the exact right circumstances life self starts and continues to evolve without some sort of supernatural influence.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 04:03:52 AM »
 It is odd that few realize that we are proving the way God made it all happen in many cases. Those who do call it faith and go on to higher levels of understanding .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »
There is coming a time...soon, when every knee will bow.  Even the athiests.
Ben

There is coming a time when he will say to those who ran the churches "Depart from me, I never knew you."

Matthew 7:22-23
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline joedanger

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:51 AM »
Spoken as a working biologist and bioinformatician, I enjoyed the comic.  I have to sit down with a couple of students each semester and help them explore why they believe what they believe.  The simple truth is that all of the advances in medicine, biology, and genomics only make sense in light of evolution.

The difference between scientists and zealots is, if direct evidence that contradicts my position were presented, I'd change my world view.  Can't say that about the fundamentalists.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 06:04:49 AM »
Direct evidence doesn't contradict my Biblical position.  Religion contradicts my Biblical position. Evolution and devolution make perfect sense when you understand the Bible.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »
The idea of No God displays the arrogance of people that buy the Darwin junk. You just need to pray for folks that think that way. Scientists love throwing their "expertise" and "titles" around in the name of science. A lot of times it is to sell books, gain noteriety, keep their funding, ect. Nobody can positively proved anything that happened that long ago. The good part about being a Christian is I don't have too.

Offline powderman

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
MOHAWK. Good post. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
Spoken as a working biologist and bioinformatician, I enjoyed the comic.  I have to sit down with a couple of students each semester and help them explore why they believe what they believe.  The simple truth is that all of the advances in medicine, biology, and genomics only make sense in light of evolution.

The difference between scientists and zealots is, if direct evidence that contradicts my position were presented, I'd change my world view.  Can't say that about the fundamentalists.
So you are a professor? Welcome to GBO- interesting your first 2 posts here. First one is to back obama, second is to support evolution, you'll fit in quite well here ;D  (with yellow and junior anyway)

Offline powderman

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 04:43:13 PM »

So you are a professor? Welcome to GBO- interesting your first 2 posts here. First one is to back obama, second is to support evolution, you'll fit in quite well here ;D  (with yellow and junior anyway)

YEP, among others.  POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »
D'Angerjoe-
There are those who believe that black man evolved from apes and white man evolved from honkey crackers, is that what you believe in too?

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
And dont forget Louis Farrakhan who claims white people were created in a lab by an evil black scientist.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 05:34:34 PM »
  Junior says;
   " This cartoon is especially for the religious right fringe element here "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  A little news for you junior..I think Bible-believers are in the majority here, while the unbelievers and Obamanites are the true "fringe element".. ;) ;D ;D 
  Keep in mind about that cartoon..other than the false & misleading information is that it was constructed by Trudeau, a leftist, kool aid sipper, and the entire cartoon is a product of his mind only, that's where it is messed up.
  Below is a short video concerning Richard Dawkins, the hero, standard bearer for the evo-lefties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaKryi3605g
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
As a bioinformatiocianandexpellorofcowcrap I can explain that- I have a jellybean stuck in my yapper and reagan said you could tell a lot about a man by the way he eats jellybeans......

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »
I'll not get into the religion vs. science argument because it is a complete waste of time.  I have my own feelings and ideas about it, but those are personal and will remain so.

"Granite depends on what type of granite.  A book I read on nuclear power stated the 5%."

I spent the majority of my career analyzing geological material.  Depending on the instrument used in the analysis, the report comes out as parts per million or parts per some unit, or the report can come out in a certain percentage.  When elements are reported by weight percent, it is based on the atomic weight of the element in combination with the atomic weights of all the other elements in the sample.  For elements like uranium, that are very dense, a small amount in a sample of the usual rock elements (Fe, Si, Na, P, S, etc.) will look like a very large percentage of the sample.  A more exacting measurement would be to report the results as atom percentage of the elements.  Mineral companies normally like to receive their analyses as weight percentage.
Sorry about the drawn out explanation, but that's the way it is.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Must be referring to their "big bang that came out of nowhere theory", right
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »
A little news for you junior..I think Bible-believers are in the majority here
Well, let us be clear - there are lots of Bible-believers who aren't right wingnut xenophobes and political idelogues. Some are, of course - but then there are some who vote Democrat, too, even for that guy which some Bible-believers like to call the Halfrican or whatever their insult de jour is. I know it's very unsettling to them when the echo-chamber is violated by some unapproved opinions.

Keep in mind about that cartoon..other than the false & misleading information is that it was constructed by Trudeau, a leftist, kool aid sipper, and the entire cartoon is a product of his mind only, that's where it is messed up.
Doonesbury goes up and down, but it's been good for a long time (I read it in the early-mid 90s). Xenophobes, racists, and the unlettered won't like it much.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Lost Farmboy

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »
  People who believe something smaller then a tiny little electron, maybe nothing, exploded and created the universe in less than a second mock our faith in God. I would rather place my faith in God than in nothing.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »

Yep!
If we start down the road of the big bang theory, then somebody better come up with where did the gases come from to create the big bang! Also what ignited the gases? And what happened to create the ignition source?? Never mind how well all the planets just in our own galaxy are positioned and their timely travel around the sun .
Getting back to the gases, also where did the molecules come from to create these gases??
Just a few things to chew on in your spare time!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Must be referring to their "big bang that came out of nowhere theory", right
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Lost Farmboy

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »
  The Case for a Creator

Great book! Interviews with scientist who are tops in their fields saying science proves a creator. I highly recommend it for Christians and skeptics alike.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Creator-Participants-Guide-Investigation/dp/0310282853/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310527878&sr=1-2

Offline Casull

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Xenophobes, racists, and the unlettered won't like it much.

Yep, and plenty of plain old conservative folks won't like it much either.  But, the lefties sure do seem to favor it.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
D'Angerjoe-
There are those who believe that black man evolved from apes and white man evolved from honkey crackers, is that what you believe in too?

Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 02:10:59 AM »
A little news for you junior..I think Bible-believers are in the majority here
Well, let us be clear - there are lots of Bible-believers who aren't right wingnut xenophobes and political idelogues. Some are, of course - but then there are some who vote Democrat, too, even for that guy which some Bible-believers like to call the Halfrican or whatever their insult de jour is. I know it's very unsettling to them when the echo-chamber is violated by some unapproved opinions.

Doonesbury goes up and down, but it's been good for a long time (I read it in the early-mid 90s). Xenophobes, racists, and the unlettered won't like it much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Yellow...I don't like it much, are you calling me xenophobe, racist and unlettered ?  Anyone, perhaps even you and junior, can grasp your backhanded way of sneaking past the "no name calling ban".. ;) ;D

Next: seemingly you are claiming to be a Bible believer, yet are denying God's creation.  What is the very first verse in this Bible you claim to "believe" ?  ...............Here it is:

" In the beginning, God created heaven and earth"  (Genesis 1:1)   For a guy who seems to be claiming to be a Bible believer..sure doesn't look like you even read the Bible.. :D ;D :P

In another thread you suggest that homosexuality is fine, just another choice.  Unfortunately for you it is not a "choice" that God reccommends.  Remember, he created as an example..Adam & Eve..not ..Adam & Steve..  You're a 'Bible believer'...here, read in Romans:   http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+1%3A22-28&version=KJV
  Yellow..that is Bible, do you believe it ?  ...Or do you deny it ?

You want Old Testament, how about this ?

King James Version (KJV)
  17There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.  18Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God. (Deut 23:17,18)

Yellow, that's Bible, do you believe it, or do you deny what God says ?  Something tells me that you go along with the Bible until the Bible confronts Political Correctness...obviously, that is when you ignore God and side with PC...

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 02:46:11 AM »
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?? Maybe just ''special'' monkeys were allowed to evolve. By the way some people act, their turning back into monkeys. Banana's for everyone. The monkey with the most banana's has to share them with all the rest of the monkeys, that way all the monkeys will be equal. Can't we all just get along!! Banana anyone!! :D gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 03:05:14 AM »
some folks here must be blind and deaf.  every time I go hunting or fishing I see something amazing that could only come from the hand of God.
there is a God and he's in our life 24/7/365  and I'm sure he doesn't approve of the democrat platform.
I used to feel sorry for people like junior but all the info he needs to become a christian is out there and he thumbs his nose at it.  believe me, Jesus will not plead his case on judgement day.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2011, 04:18:03 AM »
Come on, folks, you are arguing against yourselves.

" People who believe something smaller then a tiny little electron, maybe nothing, exploded and created the universe in less than a second mock our faith in God. I would rather place my faith in God than in nothing."

A Creator, i.e. God, would have to start from nothing if nothing existed prior to the 'Creation'.

" In the beginning, God created heaven and earth"  (Genesis 1:1)
[/size]
[/size]Our Bible doesn't tell us how a that matter was created.  God could have used a 'Big Bang' - we don't know and will probably never know.  Also, how do we know that God isn't revealing this information via scientific discovery?  After all, the brain and curiosity we all have was given to us to use and make the most of.  If we just sit back and let 2000 year old information rule our lives, we may as well be the monkeys we possibly evolved from.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2011, 04:58:20 AM »
Xenophobes, racists, and the unlettered won't like it much.

Yep, and plenty of plain old conservative folks won't like it much either.  But, the lefties sure do seem to favor it.

Casull, it is the xenophobes, racists, and unlettered lefties like Trudeau who push it.  Which polarity insists on dividing us into neat little cubby holes, Black-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Gay-Americans, Left-handed-red-headed-pipefitting-Americans?  Yep, the left.  And why?  So they can stereotype each little group and so marginalize it. That is why the left is so afraid of conservative blacks, Hispanics, and women, they don't fit into the leftist stereotype of what each group is supposed to be like.  The left 'celebrates diversity' because it needs to keep the groups separate and set at each others throats, seeing themselves as victims and all others as oppressors, in order to maintain power. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.