Author Topic: Movie gun question  (Read 817 times)

Offline Avyctes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Movie gun question
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:06:05 AM »
I'm loving my Netflix, and discovered they added the complete Twilight Zone series - all 138 or so episodes - for streaming.  I watched a couple this past weekend and became especially intrigued with this one episode. 

The title of the episode was 'Two' (Season III Episode 1).  The synopsis is a war the scope of Armageddon had occurred, and only one member of each opposing army had survived (Charles Bronson vs. Elizabeth Montgomery).

At one point they come across the corpses of two skeletonized soldiers clutching rifles, Bronson makes a grab for one, Elizabeth for the other.  They come to an armed truce, for a time.  At one point her war memories cause her to begin to distrust him again, and she threatens to kill him - he goes away and finds another part of the city to live in.  Eventually, the loneliness causes her to seek him out - wearing a pretty dress snagged from a deserted dress shop - and the picture ends as you envision the two starting civilization again from the ashes.

My question is does anyone have any idea exactly what Bronson's movie gun prop was fabricated from?  Here is a 10 minute scene on youtube which depicts part of what I described above, and includes several shots of the rifle.  Elizabeth's rifle is really cool too, but not as cool.  Bronson's rifle reminds me of the receiver of an FG42 assault rifle with a different hand guard/barrel and the stock removed (note the little protuberance at the rear of the receiver as if a stock were removed).

Also, I found one thread on another forum where they discussed this topic, unsuccessfully, that I'll link to for reference, as they offer several viable guesses.

It's a great episode; I didn't even recognized Elizabeth Montgomery, but she was a very beautiful brunette in this old TZ episode, and performed a very convincing part.  Of course Bronson was magnificent - loved  his CSA style uniform!

Gents, thanks for any help on this. 

Chris.
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Movie gun question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »
It looks like a conglomeration of a few different guns. 
In the 60's there were miulitary scrap yards.  I had a cousin that for his birthdays would get to haul what ever he could to the scale and was allowed tt get what he weighted as stuff.  He had a bunch of recievers that were demilled and that he welded together to make toy rifles and machineguns.  Looks like both of those guns were done that way.
The pistol grip and charging handle section looks like a German MG34.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
Looks to me like her weapon was based on the appearance of an M1 Garand and his an M1 Carbine.  Course like McWoody says, they were cobbled up, I'd say hers at least was a smaller plastic production.   :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »
Guys, thanks for the comments.

I have no idea.  The suggestion of part of an old German MG sounds plausible.  I managed a few screen grabs, I'll post them, in case anyone has problem viewing the video link.

"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
both look like one of the rifle conversions made for a 1911 with alot of scrap metal and wood bolted on.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
both look like one of the rifle conversions made for a 1911 with alot of scrap metal and wood bolted on.
Triggerguard is wrong for a 1911.... more likely a crossman air pistol with lots of bits added to it....
the other looked like a plastic kids Garand with stuff added to it....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium