Author Topic: I am now a bit Gunshy  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: I am now a bit Gunshy
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »
Folks that want maximum velocity for a given bullet weight from a selected calibre should, IMO, simply select a cartridge that will safely meet their needs.  Sometimes it takes having a rifle made up in one of the multitude of wildcats that have been turned out over the years.  Overloading a cartridge to achieve the wanted results makes no sense to me.

When wanting very tame loads nearly any rifle, or pistol, can be safely loaded down by using low velocity loads found in many manuals.  Cast bullets are an excellent option for very low power loads.  Often a rifle chambered for a smaller cartridge is the better option.

The loads listed in the recognized manuals have been tested and, to me anyway, should be followed carefully.

Reloaders should also be aware of pressure signs when working at the upper loads that have been listed.  Not all rifles will handle the heavier charges without giving problems.  Things like a good set of micrometers for measuring the diameter of the case head before and after firing are important when getting into the upper loads.  Primers will tell you a lot but they can often lead you astray as well.

With low power loads indications that the case is not expanding sufficiently to seal to the chamber walls should be watched for.  Even with moderate loads this can lead to excessive case set back and high breach thrust problems.

A little time, well maybe not just a little time, spent learning some of the in's and out's of this hobby can make a big difference between an enjoyable experience and big trouble.  It can also improve the way your ammo functions and how accurate it is.

Just my opinions once again.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70