Author Topic: What brand should I go with for wood working tools?  (Read 809 times)

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
What brand should I go with for wood working tools?
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
I have some carriages to build and I'd like to buy a table saw next week. Is there a particular brand that stands out or is going with DeWALT a good idea? I was thinking about going with the portable DeWALT with a 10" blade. I'd also like to get a chop saw eventually. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline Al 1

Re: What brand should I go with for wood working tools?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »
Asron,   Any good brand name saw should do the trick.  Have you ever used this type of equip?
Al-1

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
Al 1 welcome !  sorry no advice on what to buy ....

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
How much money are you willing to spend?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Asron87

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
How much money are you willing to spend?

The one I was looking at is a little under $400 but I'd be willing to spend around $600 or so.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »
Al 1 -- WELCOME to the board!  Good comment, good question.

Ashron -

Find an old-timer that is a master at what you want to do.

There are always good pieces of equipment second-hand that can be gotten cheaply.  After a few years of use, you'll either keep using them or move up in quality.  Which ones?  That's what the oldtimer is for - to show you on his equipment what can and cannot be done.

You'll find the experience will prove to be MORE valuable than just buying a piece of tooling.

Where?  Who?  Start by asking - local community colleges are but ONE place.  Industry is good -  just start asking who's good at ( ... ) .  5 -  10 - 15 people later you'll know.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
Buy what you can afford. Save room for more cannons, tho.   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline projector

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:08:42 AM »
I'm using a 20 year old Powermatic 66 that I've had for about 3 years.  It's a great saw but expensive if bought new.  Keep an eye on local listings and buy a quality used piece of equipment.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:02:23 AM »
Buy the best quality tools you can afford, hand tools as well as power tools. A cheap poorly made tool is no bargain.  My Powermatic model 65 table saw is as old as I am and works perfectly, ditto the jointer, bandsaw, drill presses, etc. The only problem with heavy duty tools is they require room in use or not.  Just finished a new 24x36 shop to house mine.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
Haunt the estate sales looking for a Delta Unisaw.  These are great saws and you should be able to find one for $200 or so.  But they don't grow on trees so expect to visit a lot of sales before you find one.

If time is more important than money, check out the Grizzly table saws with the cast base (Unisaw knockoffs.)  Not cheap but the one I have used is almost as good as a Unisaw.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »
I'm using a 20 year old Powermatic 66 that I've had for about 3 years.  It's a great saw but expensive if bought new.  Keep an eye on local listings and buy a quality used piece of equipment.

I have one as well, but I am a cabinetmaker by trade. If you want to expand into other wood projects, I would buy the best you can afford. Look for used, powermatic or delta unisaw. These are stationary saws though. You can buy or make a mobile base for them but they take up a good amount of room.
I am moderator on the woodworking forum and we had a discussion about this a while back. I'll look up the thread now.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
Asron87,
You have been given a lot of advise here.  All I can add is "buy a little more than you can afford".  I use a Delta Unisaw and there are few better.  If you can find a used one, great!
A poor choice now will cost you more if you want a better saw next year.  It's like a cannon.  Today, you spend $500 on one and next year you want one that cost $900.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
I have helped a friend restore some old wood and metal working equipment. From an Oliver wood lathe, and a mortising machine from the same company, to a metal lathe that is older than he is and he is 85. The experience and knowledge I have gotten from just hanging around him is phenomenal. If you look around, look for a saw that has a cast iron bed. It may take some work to get it back into condition, but well worth the effort.
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline projector

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:15:41 AM »
Buy the best quality tools you can afford, hand tools as well as power tools. A cheap poorly made tool is no bargain.  My Powermatic model 65 table saw is as old as I am and works perfectly, ditto the jointer, bandsaw, drill presses, etc. The only problem with heavy duty tools is they require room in use or not.  Just finished a new 24x36 shop to house mine.

I set my saw up to a large table at the same height.  It catches large sheets on the other side and serves as an island bench for other uses.  Other smaller tools like my band saw and combo sander are on wheels so I can pull them out when needed and put them away.  I have way too many hobbies so the shop has to stay versatile. 

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 03:39:37 AM »
I can identify with you on the need to keep things flexible, everything from flyrods, gun carriages, telescopes as well as furniture and cabinets gets built in there.
The big lathe and the table saw with cast iron extension wings are bolted down due to their weight but everything else including a sliding table shaper are on movable bases.  Don't move them often but it's nice not to need three men and a boy when I do. 
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Asron87

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
  I'm not sure whats going on with my computer but two of my replies didn't go through. I ended up just buying a portable DeWALT table saw. I needed one now and it needed to be portable. And like Zulu said... I'm just going to want to upgrade later anyway. I wish I had more time to reply but thanks guys, I still have lots of tools to buy and still need a lot of help.