Author Topic: I found a GPR,in a corner of a guys place!!!!!!!  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Willyp

• Trade Count: (0)
I found a GPR,in a corner of a guys place!!!!!!!
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:07:20 PM »
I looked it over? Here is what i saw. The rear trigger is not there,just the front one? The rear wedge pin is gone? A little rust in the primer pan? The stock looks just fine. Here is my only concern. How can i check the barrel for rust or pitting,way down inside??????? Oh,one more thing! Some one took an engraver,like an electric marking pencil,to the barrel, and tried to engrave leaves and vines on it!!!!!!!!
If the barrel is pitted inside,can it be saved? If so,how? Does the breech plug come out of this rifle? I know that new barrels are out there,but to buy one and replace it,i might as well buy a new rifle.
It is a flint lock rifle.

Willyp

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: I found a GPR,in a corner of a guys place!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
I have a couple of led lights that will slide down the bore enabling me to git a look at 'em..Got one of 'em at O Reillys auto parts and the other I scavenged off of a little Chinese handi tool... ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
My rule of thumb is "don't ever buy a used muzzleloader unless you get it cheap enough to afford replacing the barrel". Not only may it be pitted but also they are often "ringed" where someone fired it with a ball or bullet not fully seated on the powder. Then there is the "engraving", so you'd probably want to replace the barrel anyway. Then there is the triggers to consider. It wouldn't be exactly free if it were "free".
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
First thing you should check is if there's a load in the barrel. Chances are good there is.
The ram rod should drop all the way down to near the flash hole, Just put it in there and mark the depth with your thumb--then hold that same mark at the end of the barrel and see where the rod ends externaly.
Yes, even rusty barrels can be cleaned up and made fair shooters,, Good Luck, keep us posted as too what ya find,,

found elsewhere

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:49:56 AM »
I bought a Traditions "Deerstalker" dirt cheap because of a rusty bore.  It shoots MOPP (Minute Of Paper Plate) at 50 yards just fine and dandy.  If I were you, I'd buy the GPR and have my local pawn 'n' gun put a parts GPR or GPH on his "watch for" list.
PS: +1 on check for a loaded barrel!

Offline Higene

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »
Also remember that a GPR has a Patent Breach (the powder chamber is similar to the spout on a funnel). It will need to be cleaned with a .30 or 357 bore brush and mop prior to shooting.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
Rust shouldn't be that much of a problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vT2mdXBs8
Molon labe

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
In 1979, or maybe '80, my father and I built a .50 cal T/C Hawken.  Took our time fitted the barrel to the channel, used a draw file to smooth the barrel flats, then browned the barrel, we both fired the gun when completed.  Dad "put it on paper" and it returned a 2" 100 yard group with open "factory" sights.  Many years later my younger brother borrowed that Hawken for an early deer season.  He brought it to me the following May, worried.  He had not cleaned the barrel since firing it twice in October the year before.  The bore was very rusted, and he did not want to face dad with the gun in that shape.  I was able to polish out the bore using "Cameo" (a product similar to "bar keepers friend") and HOT water, along with 0000 steel wool with "Ballistol" (a water soluable oil).  That was 16 years ago, today I borrowed that same rifle from dad, and was able to shoot a 2" 100 yard group. 

As for the missing parts...either locate a "parts gun" to salvage parts from, or walk away.  The barrel can be saved, but it will take alot of work.  If you do buy this one add me to the list that says check for a load already down bore.  If it is loaded you really should pull the load before you do anything else.  I recommend the compressed air method.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Willyp

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
I checked to see if it were loaded,It was not. The fellow left me run some patches down the bore! A short ways down,they would just lock up solid and could not be pulled back up out.I pushed them to the bottom and they would come off the jag,then i went fishing for them! When i got them out,i did this 6 times,the patches were the color of a Hershey bar? I gave up.
For what is asked for the gun,plus a barrrel,wedge pins and a set trigger = the price of a new gun! This was just a whim. I have other flinters and shall just stick whith them,but,it showed me what can happen if you don't care for them the right ways!

Willyp

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:07:49 AM »
You might have offered $50 bux for it, citing all the probs (you could have resold the stock and/or lock to more than recoup) - What was the asking ?

Lock parts (frizzens, etc) are readily available, the bore can most likely be made shootable - and if you're handy the barrel flats can be draw-filed to remove the chicken scratches & browned for less than $10, plus a little time/elbow grease.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »
An inexpensive trigger group can be had for around $50.00 usd.  $10 to $25 to refinish exterior of barrel.  Bore clean up ???  If the muzzle crown, and last 6" of rifled barrel are in good shape it can be made to shoot.  New barrel?  Only if I could get the gun for less than $50.  In all likelyhood the frizzen will need attention as well.  (if this is a flinter)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Willyp

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
Yes,it is a flinter.
Willyp

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
So.....what was the final outcome?? Didja get it?  I hate cliffhangers ;) .
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
So.....what was the final outcome?? Didja get it?  I hate cliffhangers ;) .
Me, too.

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
I gave up.  This was just a whim. I have other flinters and shall just stick with them !
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:32 AM »
(A collective soft "ah" goes up and the crowd disperses....)   Yeah, sometimes you just can't make one happen.  The good ones happen by themselves.
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".