Author Topic: Buying scopes out of adjustment  (Read 541 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Buying scopes out of adjustment
« on: January 02, 2004, 02:39:07 PM »
If you buy a scope and other people have turned the adjustment dials etc... But dont tap on them to make the adjustments take; what will it do if you then put it on your rifle tap the adjusters and then make your own adjustments?  

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 06:19:20 PM »
Huh????

Unless something is wrong with the scope there should be no need to tap on a scope to cause the adjustments to "take". If you have to do that I suggest you find another scope. I sure don't own one that requires any such tapping.

Any time you buy a used scope it is wise to center the adjustments before you mought it on your rifle. Turn all the way to one end of the adjustment range. Now turn it all the way to the other counting the clicks. Move it back half that many and you should be centered. If the scope requires tapping to cause the adjustments to "take" dump the scope or return it for repair. It is defective.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 07:29:03 PM »
Hmmm, I have read/heard that it is not uncommon for some scopes to need "tapping".  This one that I am refering to is a Bushnell 4200 bought from  SWFA's Sample list (demo). Although I can't say that this scope is one of them. I have seen several scopes that had to be adjusted this way including Nikon Monarchs and a couple of others.  But maybe I am wrong.  I am just trying to get more info on a stringing problem that I am also inquiring about on the gunsmithing forum.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 01:01:04 AM »
longwinters........Its not uncommon at all......many shooters advocate a tap to set an adjustment thats been made, others myself included use the old benchrest technique of going a click past where you want to go and then coming back one. Either way this is only to settle the adjustment for the next shot.......when the gun recoils it does the same thing automatically. Its not something that would get out of whack or anything like that, its simply a way of making the adjustment movement settle to its desired spot when the erector tube cams rounded surface settles against the flat surface of the adjusters. It will seek its proper place with the jar of recoil or a tap or by going slightly past the point desired and then back. Not a big deal and most shooters do nothing at all and the next shot does the job for them.

Stringing usually points to bedding, pressure on a heating barrel, or over or under tightening of action screws. As GB mentioned its always good to center reticle and start with a full range of adjustment with a used scope. Some mounts offer horizontal adjustment and some like the Burris signatures offer both to help keep reticle centered for more precise adjustments.  Scopes can also cause vertical stringing and would be a case where changing to another known scope and shooting would show if the scope was the culprit.

Hope you find your problem
          woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 05:18:56 AM »
I don't use cheap scopes and to be honest most all I own or have owned have been Leupold and Bushnell brands mostly Elites from Bushnell and both Vari-X II and III from Leupold. I have just not experienced a problem of this. I've run most of them around the clock and groups land where they are supposed to with no tapping.

Back in my silhouette shooting days I had to move the adjustments each time I changed distances. Didn't tap and didn't have a problem.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hound_Dog55

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 06:49:49 AM »
I have a friend who does this. I had never seen anyone do it before him. He swears by it. O well, whatever works for him. I have never tapped my scopes but I have had some that needed tapped. (with a 15 lb sledge hammer) :wink: