Author Topic: Help with 12ga Ultra Slug Gun  (Read 781 times)

Offline J M K

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with 12ga Ultra Slug Gun
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »
First off as a new member to the forum i would like to say hello to all! :) Another member of the Indiana Sportsmen sent me this site in hopes of helping me with a little issue i have. I just recently pick up a used 12ga Ultra Slug Gun when i got it i noticed a little surface rust on the barrel which didnt bother me because it wasnt pitted, it was just on the surface... :o  BUT! once i got home and set it on the ole work bench to start cleaning it i noticed a few spots (that i could see) down in the receiver had some service rust on a few parts as well. How difficult is it to disassemble the receiver to allow for a good cleaning? Im use to my 870 and its not my first rodeo in complete/partial firearm tear downs but i havent found any good manuals or guidelines to go by and the NEF online manual wasnt all that helpful but at least gave a decent parts diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
If you take from nature...you must give back to nature

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Help with 12ga Ultra Slug Gun
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
Welcome! Read in the FAQs and Help sticky, you'll find trigger hone info that will allow you to completely R&R the internals.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline J M K

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »
Thanks! It took me a minute to find it but i believe i found the right page to take the trigger assembly out. not sure about firing pin or hammer removal yet. Maybe once the trigger assembly is out of the way ill be able to figure it out. thanks again :)

Offline J M K

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »
Well i finally got the gun tore down and all cleaned up :D almost 95% rust free with just a few thin rust spots on the barrel that werent coming off unless stripped. Thank you for the help..it is very much appreciated! I have one final question though. After cleaning the outside of the barrel and all of the receiver and parts, i decided to give the bore a good cleaning as well. I got ALOT of old powder residue and who knows what else out of it. Main question is after i got it cleaned up good and another light coat of oil down the barrel and inspected it as close as possible, it seems..and im hoping...that there is some old oil build up in the first 1/4 - 1/3 of the barrel (chamber end). At least thats what it looks like..seems to be raised slightly more than pitted into the bore, mostly in the rifling grooves. Should I have a gunsmith scope the barrel, just replace, or am i knit picking this too much? Ive just grown quite fond of how my face is arranged and would prefer it not to be altered in any way  ;)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »
Just shoot it to see how it goes...If it is on target, I would leave it.  Of course, I would scrub it till it was clean, but, that is just me. 
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »
Just throw a few of those........................$3.00 sabots through it, that should clean it up! :D   Just funnin', welcome to the premier outdoor forum on the internet.......and I ain't funnin' 'bout that.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline cgoff

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
might be lead if they shot pumpkins thru it.  Take a brass pot scrubber and cut some of it off and wrap it around a bore brush. That will easily remove any lead build up and won't damage the lands

Offline J M K

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 01:02:11 AM »
Thank you all :) Ive scrubbed it a few times now. once letting the hoppes #9 soak for a few minutes then using a bore brush and the others i let cleaned as normal and let the oil soak in the barrel for a few days then hit it with the bore brush again and cleaned as normal. its gotten ALOT better but still a few spots in the rifling. it cleaned up pretty good. just seemed to be some rust, caked on oil, or melted sabot jackets or something lol Theres a part of me that wants to keep the gun and another part wants to sell it to have my muzzleloader camo dipped before hunting season this year, my money's tight as with most folks now days and itd be easier then pullin $ out of the bank.....damn decisions ;)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
If you bought into it right you might have a hard time replacing it, and what you could really sell it for wont make much difference in the long term budget. I say this 'cause Ive been there, done that.

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »
Good job so far. My advice GO SHOOT IT!!!
I have two and they are THE most accurate slug guns I have shot! You just may find you have quite a shooter.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.