Author Topic: skunked in first season of deer hunting  (Read 786 times)

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
skunked in first season of deer hunting
« on: January 02, 2004, 02:47:07 PM »
My daughter (age 13 and in her first season of deer hunting) went out with me on ten occasions this season and all we saw were 5 does on one of the outings. This is highly unusual, as I usually see deer most of the times I go out. Still, she didn't seem to lose faith, vowing to hunt every opportunity starting with opening day next season. I am a bit surprised by and very proud of her tenacity.

I remember when I first starting hunting and deer were pretty scarce. If you went all season and only saw a few does, it wasn't that unusual. Maybe its good in a way that she is starting out with the humbling side of the sport. It surely will show her true colors as we approach next season.

She is very impatient in general, and having to show lots of patience waiting on a buck to appear was a special challenge for her. I honestly believe if it doesn't break her, the waiting will help her learn a little more patience. I'm crossing my fingers that it does!
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
Life
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 02:54:45 PM »
It sounds like she recieved a real lesson in life this season. As Bill Gates once told a graduation class; "Life isn't fair, get used to it!"

I don't know if it has any effect on a person whether or not you are successful or not your first hunt or not.

Hopefully she has learned something and you can keep her interested with scouting missions, range sessions and video's dirung the off season.

Sounds like you have the start of a new hunting partner that you will never regrett. :grin:
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor