Author Topic: Reaching Into The Bore To Light The Fuse  (Read 587 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Reaching Into The Bore To Light The Fuse
« on: July 13, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »
My guess is that he uses about a two pound charge, judging from the size of the foil cartridge.  Reaches down the bore to light the fuse.  Then, with the fuse burning, and while making comments about Chinese fuse being sort of unreliable, cranks away on the elevating screw. 

We need a pinned thread for things like this.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Reaching Into The Bore To Light The Fuse
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »
stovepipe bomb...self-correcting problem. Just don't be there for the show, especially the last one.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:13 PM »
We have had this cannon video posted here before...two or three years ago

The first time it  was posted we screamed about all the safety issues...not the least of not knowing where you impact zone is.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »
Montana huh ?  :o  that thing looks dangerous ! I have seen that fusing technice(yea yea spell check is on the frizz) B4 though ..... last fourth of July just a few days ago ...... IIRC .....and I do ! ;D

1 min from lighting to BOOM . We forgot it was lit once ,cooked a meal ,drank a nice coke then out of nowhere BOOM!!!!!

It was a very nice 1" Dalgren made by Dominick ....I just can't remember who brought it ....? ....exactly..... ;)

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:01:33 AM »
I've seen an Honest John launched go down range - and saw the smoke cloud of impact 7-8 miles down range.  I wonder how they knew just how far the BB (bowling ball) went?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:54:02 AM »
My powder man shot his a little over two miles a couple years ago at a rendezvous in Utah.  In the mountain west, particularly Wyoming, there are vast stretches of relatively flat, un-foilaged (or with just low sage brush) BLM (public) land where it is quite easy to find a safe place to shoot such ordnance... It does take at least one spotter down range (way off to the side obviously) with a pair of binos and radios to safely coordinate the whole affair.  An undrilled ball is also a good choice for such a shot as it will fly significantly more in line with where the tube is pointed than will a drilled ball.  Yes, his charge was two pounds and I don't remember the granulation but type was "A".  There are very few places left in the US where such shooting can be done safely.  His mortar looks like a seacoast with wall T's very close to the bore D and is made from a good steel alloy (100KSI yield or better).  He loaded the powder chamber and then placed tubes of BP in a star ( * ) pattern in the bottom of the bore fanning out from over the powder in the chamber.  Distance is easily measured with a handheld GPS unit and a 4-wheeler to get there.  The spotter is required to both assure the landing area is clear as well as locating the B-ball for measuring and retrieval.  His distance was 2.107 miles.

It can be done safely... the people and the equipment in the original post IS/ARE NOT.  The biggest issues are having enough of the right kind (clear and flat) real estate and a tube built to withstand the pressures on the walls and not just in the powder chamber.  Safely doing stuff like this also mandates knowing the kind of pressure the equipment may likely have to withstand (see BP Ultimate Pressure thread by keith44) if you want to be alive to do it again sometime.  Powder man did destroy the mortar bed with that shot however so making it a habit, even under the right conditions can get expensive.  He's the same guy that sold the BP bowling ball mortar to the guys on History Channel's Pawn Stars.   

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
I re-viewed the video and was wondering about something...

The 1800's Ordnance Manual states a one pound charge of BP in TWICE its volume only produced a max pressure of 40+ thousand PSI where the same charge IN ITS VOLUME produced over 100,000 PSI.

It looks like the guy's charge is shaped like the core of a spool with disks on either side of it... with the distance between the charge's OD and disks OD there is a space at least equal to that of the charge... if one were familiar with the Manual, they could be intentionally doing this to limit the max pressure developed in this "thing"...??

Now... I'm not sure I would be willing to give him credit for that...  What do you think??

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »
I doubt seriously he has done that much thought.  He does the charge this way just keep it centered.

What 1800's Ordnance manual are you referring to.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »