Author Topic: Old cannon balls  (Read 409 times)

Offline prospector86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Old cannon balls
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
The other day I had a guy stop by the house and ask if I was interested in buying a couple of civil war cannon balls he had picked up an estate auction in Wisconson. I took a look at them and gave 100$ for them. Don't know if this was a good deal or not. My question is, is there any way to tell if they are from that time frame or not? Thanks for the help.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Old cannon balls
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
prospector86,
Are they solid, are they shells, is there a hole for a fuse, what size are they, can you post some photos of them?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline prospector86

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
They are solid. 2 of them are about 12 pounds. One is about 6 pounds. No hole for a fuse. Will post pictures in the morning.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
I bought one, about the size of a cantaloupe, very heave, like maybe 15 pounds...maybe a bit more...I'll weigh it tomorrow... hole with a cavity in the center of it...got it from a small antique store here on the coast...BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!