Author Topic: My new '05 springfield armory G.I. Mil-Spec "mod, upgrade"  (Read 999 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
My new '05 springfield armory G.I. Mil-Spec "mod, upgrade"
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »
After shooting my new '05 GI Mil Spec SA 1911a1 for the very first time I cleaned the barrel and put it away.  Today I did a complete disassembly and inspection to make sure its all ok.  I noticed a very heavy bump when i operated the empty slide on the frame to burnish in the second application of moly.  Its the disconnector hitting the slide as it makes the transission over the disconnector to compress it.  Some 1911 slides have a little bevel on the corner and this one has nothing.  I wiped it all clean again and filed in very carefully a disconnector ramp.  Now the slide goes over the disconnector in a much smoother operation.  I can hardley feel it compress the disconnector.  Since i already did this on my norinco tweeking/build it was no biggie to do it to the new SA 1911. Here's a print on my disconnector mod.
I found out about this mod on another forum and did it first to my norinco and i test fired it a few weeks back too.  Its also suppose to improve the accuracy but eliminating the bump in the cycling too.  It kind of jars the slide when the bump occurs. I match the height of the disconnector only.  I did notice the next round out of the mag hits above this ramp anyway so its a safe mod to do as long as we keep the height just high enough to the exact height of the disconnector.  The smoothness with the ramp is unbelieveable when we cycle it by hand.  I establish the correct width and height with a pencil and use a small file on the edge to file the ramp. Then i polish it smooth with sand paper till its shiney like the feed ramp. For the finish to make it all even across i put the and paper on the files edge and go across the width too while filing it to make it even and smoother at the sametime. Since this is such a big improvement on the 1911's i may do this disconnector ramp on all my 1911's now. Its a free'b with just some elbow grease anyway. Bill

Any thoughts???  Need more info?  This is an easy upgrade that removes that horrible bump when the slide goes forward into full battery.  Does anyone understand what i'm saying?

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My new '05 springfield armory G.I. Mil-Spec as its called
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:50:56 AM »
Click on the "1911 disconnector" and my drawing will come up.  Its just a little ramp that we can file in below the firing pin hole and it won't affect the round leaving the mag when it cycles to load the next round. Anythoughts??