Author Topic: crimp for 35rem in a lever action  (Read 464 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
crimp for 35rem in a lever action
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
I am going to load for a marlin lever action in 35rem.   Since it holds them in the tube does it require a heavy crimp?  I am planning on using the hornady dies.  Would it be easier/better to have a separate  crimp die for this process?  Any load info that people have found best would be a great starting point.   It is my cousins rifle and I dont know the twist rate but he normally shoots the 200gr core lokts.  thanks. 

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: crimp for 35rem in a lever action
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »
yes..you will need to crimp them to keep the bullets from being pushed into the case from recoil and tension from the magazine spring..I always do bullet seating and crimping in two stages.  I am really fond of the Lee Factory Crimp Die.  If you can get a good crimp from you dies just go with it.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:18:48 AM »
What Spinafish says.  If you've never loaded for the 35 before, that Lee Factory Crimp Die can save you some problems.  The 35 Rem cartridge is rimless, and headspaces on the shoulder-same as other rimless cases such as 30-06, .308 Win, and countless others.  Many, many cases in lots of calibers headspace this way.  Most have shoulders that are tapered and offer a gradual bearing surface when chambered in a rifle.  Not the 35, though--this has a stubby little shoulder that can be unforgiving  if all dimensions in a resized case don't match up very closely with the chamber in your rifle.  A little difference between dimensions will result in misfires from light firing pins strikes when you shoot your handloads out of a 35.  These rounds will usually fire if you cock again and pull the trigger, but that's not what you want when hunting.  That dinky little 35 shoulder is easy to set back a tiny bit if you are seating and crimping in the same operation because your die is exerting downward force on the case.  The Lee FC Die doesn't crimp that way in rifle calibers.  There's only side force exerted by a collet that squeezes the case mouth into the crimping groove.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
thanks for all the info.  I will go with the lee crimp die. 

Offline 1895gunner

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
thanks for all the info.  I will go with the lee crimp die.

You'll really appreciate the crimp it applies. I use it now for all of my lever cartridges (45 Colt, 44 Mag, 35 Remington, 444, 45/70 & 450).

1895gunner

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
In the meantime you can set up the Die and seater so the bullet is exactly where you want it in the case without contacting  the crimp portion of the Die. Do all of your cartridges that way.

Then turn out(up) the seater stem or completely remove it from the Die. Next run your press with a cartridge all the way up, lower the seating Die down until you feel resistance. This is the point where your Die starts to crimp. Lower the Die until you get the amount of crimp you like. You will need to lower the ram a bit in between the Die adjustment phase.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:18:57 AM »
Ive shot 1000s of rounds through bottle necked lever guns like 3030s 35s ect and have never crimped a single one. I do though insure i have good neck tension. Only leverguns i crimp for are the staight cased ones. Only time ive ever seen a bullet move in mine is when ive used the same ammo over and over loading and unloading it.

blue lives matter