Author Topic: Places to shoot in Virginia  (Read 757 times)

Offline gungoboom

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Places to shoot in Virginia
« on: July 17, 2011, 03:19:47 AM »
Hey gang,

Just moved from Williamsburg up to Herndon, Virginia.  I want to know if there are any places to shoot my golfball mortar within an hour of Herndon.

Thoughts???

Thanks for your time.
We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. - Patrick Henry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Places to shoot in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 04:25:55 AM »
Fort Shenandoa is the place where the North-South Skirmish Associan (N-SSA) holds many of their activities including their national competition.  It is just on the other side of Winchester (1 hr 7min from Herndon).

While they shoot full size cannons/mortars as such it would put you in touch with a LOT of good folks near you that shoot.

Check out their website.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »
When I lived in Herndon I belong to a couple different gun clubs in the area, Issac Walton league.  I never shot any Cannons even Golf ball at those clubs.  I made friends with a fellow Martini shooter and went to his farm in  WV to shoot, golf balls, pop cans and 6 pdr mortar. He still has one of my 6 PDR buried on his range.

Join one of the the clubs and take golf ball mortar out ands shoot it and see happens.  My guess after they see it they won't bat an eye.  That is as long as you shoot reasonable load no more than 100 yards.

Offline 303smle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Neither of the nearby Izaak Walton Chapters--Arlington-Fairfax and Loudoun County--are set up to allow mortar.  They both have a roofed firing line as well as baffles to prevent shooting over the berm.  Permission could be sought from the Chief Range Officer to allow shooting from in front of the baffles during off hours. 

Offline 303smle

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
Not sure what happened.  I was trying a little edit and ended up posting the reply.

Anyway, I was going to finish by saying that when I get my golf ball mortar--should be soon, right Douglas ;D --I'll try to use my pull and arrange for a little after hours shooting.  Or go to WV.

Offline gungoboom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. 

As for FT Shenendoah, I have been there for Spring Nationals and loved it. 

I have friends around Williamsburg who are N-SSA members but I only know them to shoot artillery at regional and national events.  I don't know that they have a place to practice with their artillery pieces, only small arms. 

Will the owners of Ft. Shenendoah allow small groups to use their range with advance permission?  If so I'd love to put a small group together for some BP fun!

Keep the ideas coming!

Thank you all!!!
We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. - Patrick Henry

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
Bob, you are at the top of the list for a  GB Mortar.  In fact you have priority above all other projects.

Gungoboom, I suggest you PM 303SMLE and try to get together with him.    Bob and his wife are  wonderful people and I think you will enjoy meeting them.

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
Will the owners of Ft. Shenendoah allow small groups to use their range with advance permission?  If so I'd love to put a small group together for some BP fun!

NO it is owned by the N-SSA and you need to be a member to shoot.
There are not rental or lone of the shooting range that I know of.
Only N-SSA guns are to be shot on the range.

All the stuff that has been made of TV was done by N-SSA member doing the shooting.

If you want to shoot or get up on the line you must be a member of a Team.
There is a lot of info that you can find on the web site about joining if you like.
Let me know if you need more info, I would be happy to help you out.

MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
THANKS, Mr. G. 

I knew there would be someone more learned than I that would explain the finer points.

:D

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline gungoboom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. on the N-SSA.  I have a group that I might join when I get more time.  Right now I am just looking for some land on which to shoot my mortar.

Michael

NO it is owned by the N-SSA and you need to be a member to shoot.
There are not rental or lone of the shooting range that I know of.
Only N-SSA guns are to be shot on the range.

All the stuff that has been made of TV was done by N-SSA member doing the shooting.

If you want to shoot or get up on the line you must be a member of a Team.
There is a lot of info that you can find on the web site about joining if you like.
Let me know if you need more info, I would be happy to help you out.

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »
Thanks for the info. on the N-SSA.  I have a group that I might join when I get more time.  Right now I am just looking for some land on which to shoot my mortar.

Michael

I believe you got an invitation from 303SMLE back up thread to shoot you golf ball mortar.

Offline gungoboom

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 03:17:46 AM »
Awesome!  I'd love to get together for some golf with black powder.  Keep me posted.  You are welcome to shoot my mortar in the meantime.

Michael

Not sure what happened.  I was trying a little edit and ended up posting the reply.

Anyway, I was going to finish by saying that when I get my golf ball mortar--should be soon, right Douglas ;D --I'll try to use my pull and arrange for a little after hours shooting.  Or go to WV.