Author Topic: .30-30 cast loads  (Read 1566 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
.30-30 cast loads
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
  I'm going to start loading .30-30 rounds with a 165 gr cast bullet using AA5744 powder, but my Lyman only offers load specs for 170 gr. I was planning on using the 170 specs to start working up a load because I figure a lighter bullet will produce less pressure than a heavier bullet, all things being equal. 
Does anybody see anything wrong with this line of thought?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .30-30 cast loads
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:08:20 AM »
Thought process is correct.  I would suggest the 170 gr starting loads and use a 1/2 gr dacron filler and work up from there.

Larry Gibson

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »
 I'm surprised I need a filler with the 5744, I thought that was pretty bulky stuff. Have you used 5744 ? If so how did you like?
  The bullet I have in mind is a non GC, but I plan on running around 1600-1700 FPS. With a proper fit I don't think I'll have a leading problem. I'd like to avoid the added expense of gas checks if I can. My intended use for his gun is for pigs at 50 yards or so. The area I hunt is quite thick with brush and I have serious doubts about getting a shot much further than that.
Anyway, it'll be a few weeks before I get a chance to try the loads out, I just ordered the rifle Saturday, and although I have brass coming, I still need dies, powder, primers & bullets. But when I gat everything together I'll  be sure to post the results.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
I get 1801 fps using 23.5 grains of 5477 and the 311041 (173 grains).  This boolit is a gascheck design…

Accuracy was iffy in a Super 14” Contender…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
Try it without a filler first. You can add one later if you experience wide swings in velocity. It probably won't be needed with 5744. You can work up to full power loads if desired, the 30-30 is probably one of the friendliest calibers for cast. Accurate Powders has loading data for cast on their website.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Oh yes, I'm familiar with their website, I have one of their books and ocasionally I'll e-mail their staff ballistician. I like their powders.
Unfortunately the people that make the bullets I bought recommend keeping them uner 1700 FPS to avoid leading. I'd like to get away without using gas checks if I can, but we'll see.
I ordered the bullets sized at .309 so that should help with leading. Maybe I'll get lucky, I'll be sure to post my results when I get them in a month or so. Thanks for the input everyone.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:26 AM »
i bought some cast 30-30 slugs......can't remember where
they  were a gas check design  with  no gas check

i called and questioned  this...
.they  said  i should have no problems  they were suppose to me that way

i always  hear not to shoot gas check bullets without  the check  or poor accuracy

i  now have a  gas check lee  mold 170g....cast some but shot none

will  i get poor results with out the check
or should  i just use the check and  not have to worry

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »
People buy bullets? I suppose .309 could be okay, if your barrels a perfect .308 groove diameter. I size to .311, everything chambers perfectly, and accuracy is really good. I've never been a fan of using a gas check design without a gas check, so I've never tried it. Gaschecks are still less than 1/20th of the price of a jacketed bullet, so I see no reason to stop using them. I have plainbase moulds and I have gascheck moulds. They all have their place

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »
With the Lee 170 gr. RNFP GC bullet,I like the bullet shot as cast with no GC form AC WW alloy with two light coats of Lee Alox/JPW and 8.0 grs. of Alliant Red Dot no filler,MV runs around 1200+ fps. nice plinking and small game load.

For hunting ammo I cast  the bullet for 30:1 Lead/Tin alloy give it a light TL slap the GC on with the Lee .311 sizer and ranch dip the bullet and push it back through the sizer,it sits on top of 28.0 grs. of H335  not a MAX load.  Both load shoot as accurate as you can hold them GC or not.

If you don't cast a couple of commercial caster offer a .310 dia. 165 to 170 gr. RNFP that will accept a GC if you find you need one later on.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:13:04 PM »
The bullets I bought are from Meistercast, has anyone used them?