Author Topic: Gould, Arkansas wants to ban free speech...  (Read 794 times)

TM7

Gould, Arkansas wants to ban free speech...
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:25:19 AM »
The real war is the war for your mind...and they're winning......fyi...TM7

Small Arkansas Town Wants To Ban Free Speech And Freedom Of Assembly, No “Group” Will Be Able To Meet Without Cities Permission         

The Intel Hub
By Alex Thomas
July 18, 2011
A small Arkansas town of 850 is attempting to ban groups from meeting to talk about the city without first getting permission from the city itself.
In a move reminiscent of Nazi Germany, the Gould, Arkansas City Council has moved to ban all groups from discussing the city, even in their own home!
Mayor Earnest Nas, in strong statements supporting the peoples constitutional rights, said he is willing to go to court to stop this plan.
“This is America and even though this is Gould, Arkansas, this is still part of America. And in America, you can’t just vote and violate peoples constitutional rights,” said Nash.
This ordinance would effectively ban citizens from talking about the city at the dinner table, boy scout meetings, and book clubs. In fact, the ordinance is so Orwellian that the interview that the local Fox affiliate did with the mayor would actually be considered illegal under the proposed city ordinance.
A prominent lawyer looked over the ordinance and immediately deemed it unconstitutional.

Spokane Conservative Examiner
John DiPippa, Dean of the Law School at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, expressed disbelief when he first read the proposed law.
“The truth is the city of Gould doesn’t have the authority to tell anyone that they have no right to petition them, no right to speak and no right to exist in their city,” DiPippa told Fox16.
If the precedent is set in Gould, Arkansas it is only a matter of time before it is proposed in a town near you.
If the city council of this town actually believes that they can legally stop citizens from talking about city issues in the privacy of their own home they have another thing coming. This is America not Nazi Germany.

Gould Council bans citizens group

...TM7

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Gould, Arkansas wants to ban free speech...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:35:02 AM »
There is just no way that bill will become law.  If it does, I'll go all the way to Arkasas just to break that law.

Offline Torwe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:36:03 AM »
So it begins............
Life is like a coin you can spend it any way you wish. But you can only spend it once.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:09:13 AM »
The real war is the war for your mind...and they're winning......fyi...TM7

Small Arkansas Town Wants To Ban Free Speech And Freedom Of Assembly, No “Group” Will Be Able To Meet Without Cities Permission         

The Intel Hub
By Alex Thomas
July 18, 2011
A small Arkansas town of 850 is attempting to ban groups from meeting to talk about the city without first getting permission from the city itself.
In a move reminiscent of Nazi Germany, the Gould, Arkansas City Council has moved to ban all groups from discussing the city, even in their own home!
Mayor Earnest Nas, in strong statements supporting the peoples constitutional rights, said he is willing to go to court to stop this plan.
“This is America and even though this is Gould, Arkansas, this is still part of America. And in America, you can’t just vote and violate peoples constitutional rights,” said Nash.
This ordinance would effectively ban citizens from talking about the city at the dinner table, boy scout meetings, and book clubs. In fact, the ordinance is so Orwellian that the interview that the local Fox affiliate did with the mayor would actually be considered illegal under the proposed city ordinance.
A prominent lawyer looked over the ordinance and immediately deemed it unconstitutional.

Spokane Conservative Examiner
John DiPippa, Dean of the Law School at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, expressed disbelief when he first read the proposed law.
“The truth is the city of Gould doesn’t have the authority to tell anyone that they have no right to petition them, no right to speak and no right to exist in their city,” DiPippa told Fox16.
If the precedent is set in Gould, Arkansas it is only a matter of time before it is proposed in a town near you.
If the city council of this town actually believes that they can legally stop citizens from talking about city issues in the privacy of their own home they have another thing coming. This is America not Nazi Germany.

Gould Council bans citizens group

...TM7

I was born and raised a few miles from Gould in what is now known as Crime Bluff, Arkansas. Formally (Pine Bluff)

Gould was a sleepy little farm community in the fifties. I had several friends and family living there and nearby.After the 60's a large number of the Caucasian population left.
Same can be said of Pine Bluff. Today the population of Gould is about 80% African American and 20% Caucasian.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:02:33 AM »
Liberalism at it's best.
You have the right to free speach as long as you agree with us.
Sounds like a Federal marshal needs to be called to a meeting and have the people that passed this law arrested for Civil rights violations.

Offline Pat/Rick

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »
Coming to a city near you?

+1 mcw

Offline powderman

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »
Liberalism at it's best.
You have the right to free speach as long as you agree with us.
Sounds like a Federal marshal needs to be called to a meeting and have the people that passed this law arrested for Civil rights violations.

YEP. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Online gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »
Sounds like the people of Gould,Ark., need to proclaim a false election, and a new city council needs to be voted in. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline powderman

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »
Sounds like the people of Gould,Ark., need to proclaim a false election, and a new city council needs to be voted in. gypsyman

YEP. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Casull

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »
I see at least two problems with this story before I would comment on it.  First of all, it says that they are "attempting" to do this and that it is a "proposed" law.  What exactly does that mean?  Have they voted on it yet?  If so, what else must take place before it becomes law?  Secondly, the story is very suspicious in that it does NOT state what the law is/would be.  Why is this supposed law not printed in the story?  The whole story almost seems made up.  Maybe there is something to it, but as written, it smacks of tabloid journalism.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »
Just a bunch of Dems who don't want a dissenting question or argument, not unusual. But this one made the news, but I don't see it doing more than that.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Casull

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:12:22 AM »
Why don't you click on the links provided in the original post for more info..??

I did, AND I did not see the text of the ordinance on any of them.  In order to be law, it would have to be printed somewhere.

If it is a town 'ordinance'...then there isn't any voting except by town board consensus

Uh, that would be a vote.  In clicking the links (which I did not even realize were links until I went back to the OP), I did see that there was a 4 to 1 vote on it.
Aim small, miss small!!!