Author Topic: Question About What Items I値l Need to Set-up my Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press  (Read 374 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
I purchased a Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=814175) over the winter.  I知 looking to get it set-up so that I can set a spent case in the shell holder and end up with a loaded round, just like it was meant to. 
Here痴 my question.  What do I need to purchase to complete this?  I will be loading for .223, 9mm, & .40 S&W.  If somebody could provide website links directly to the product, that would be helpful.  If left to figure it out myself, I will screw it up ;D !
I would like to have it set-up so that I can just swap turret, shell holder, and primer.  So basically, each turret will have the dies attached and the powder measure. 
What do you all think?

Offline 22popnsplat

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
I would suggest starting with reading a couple of reloading manuals , the ABCs of reloading and the lee Manual along the press instructions would be a good start. I generally suggest people start with a single stage press as there is allot going on to keep track of with a progressive . I am not saying it cant be done but is not making it easy , with that press you can remove the indexing rod and use it as a turret press . I think it is very important that when there is only one powder on the reloading table at time to avoid mixing information or powders , double,triple check data and cross reference load data with known sources like written manuals . No distractions like TV or kids when the powder is on the bench , Remember that ammo that is not loaded correctly can be very dangerous !!

Offline Bravo 51...Over

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
Send me a PM with a phone number as there's too much to cover in a simple post.  I upgraded to the 4-Hole press a few years ago when I started reloading practice ammo for folks in my department.  I work a 12 hour night shift so it may be sometime Friday before I can carry on a coherant conversation.

Dave...
Written on a cardboard C-ration case, Khe Sanh 1968..." For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected never know." Author unknown

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
I would suggest starting with reading a couple of reloading manuals , the ABCs of reloading and the lee Manual along the press instructions would be a good start. I generally suggest people start with a single stage press as there is allot going on to keep track of with a progressive .

Sorry, I guess I should have specified that I have been loading with a single stage Rockchucker for over 15 years.  I'm just looking at getting this thing up and going.  I want to hear from those that have this so that I don't purchase items that aren't necessary.

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
It suonds like you already have the additional tools for brass prep and trim.  I have two classic turrets and load for 40 S&W and find if you stay the Lee route things go together easier. 
The Lee die rings fit the turret better than any other brand and don't interfere with the adjoining dies. 
Lee offers the powder through expander die with their deluxe die sets.  It accomodates the Lee Powder Measure (get the Pro Disk because it comes with the swivel adapter and is designed to screw into the powder-through expander die.  You will most likely need the extender/riser too.  The swivel/riser assembly lets you position the powder measure with its center of mass over the center of the turret.
An alternative to the automatic powder measure is to use a Lee Funnel and Lee Dipper Cups with the powder-through die to charge the cases.  I do this a lot.  The funnel is a friction fit into the top of the powder-through die.
Aside from that you should be good to go for loading.
I cast my own 40 cal bullets using the Lee 6-cavity mold and  Lee Pro 4-20 Pot. 
I size the cast bullets using the Lee 401 sizer.  The sizer kit comes with a plunger that fits into your press like a shell holder.  You can use the plunger with the Lee Carbide Crimp Die that comes with their deluxe die set.  Unscrew the top and pull the guts out and you can use the crimp die with the plunger and have a Bulge Buster setup.  This takes care of the "Glock Bulge".