Author Topic: HR will not break open  (Read 1102 times)

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
HR will not break open
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:52:42 AM »
I recently purchased my very first H&R. It is a .223 Handi-grip to go prairie dog hunting in September in South Dakota. I just got it back from local gunsmith who did a trigger job. I seated the barrel once. I didn't feel anything unusual and didn't have to force it closed. However, the release is stuck tight and the barrel will not break open. Does anyone have any suggestions. I plan on taking it back to the gunsmith today, but would like to hear what some more experienced people have to say. Thank you in advance for your input.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: HR will not break open
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:20:23 AM »
Welcome! Try cocking it and dry firing a couple times, see if that releases it. Broken or improperly installed parts can cause that issue.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »
I took it back to the gunsmith this morning. He said he knows what the issue is and would get resolved. I will have to wait and see come Monday or Tuesday when I pick it up again.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:56:09 AM »
Did he tell you what the issue is?

Spanky

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:34 AM »
Sure hope he doesnt charge you more.........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »
Sure hope he doesnt charge you more.........

+1 to that.

Spanky

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
I had mine sort of lock up on me during late season last year... it was just because the hot vehicle, cold stand conditions back and forth got the oil to migrate out of the lockwork.  I put off oiling it because I did NOT want to deal with an oily shelf throwing off a long shot (never got one anyways!), but I had to about a week prior to the end because I could not open the gun unless I held the latch depressed and bopped the topside of the barrel with my fist a couple of times.  I took off the barrel, oiled it up, wiped it down, stuck it and the forearm back on, good and slick as new.  you want the SHELF dry, the rest of the stuff (especially the trigger contact point and extractor stuff on the underside of the barrel) lightly oiled.  don't run a gun dry.

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »
Update - The gunsmith called me Saturday morning. He said he had it resolved and that I could come pick it up. He never said what the issue was, but when I arrived I inspected the rifle and operated it (broke open the action) without any issues. He never asked for any further payment so I am happy with it so far. He was pleasent throughout the experience, so I did not press for a reason.

I just finished bedding the forend last night and popped the mold. It turned out pretty good for my first time trying it on an H&R synthetic. I'll get it out and do some shooting with it soon to zero and practice for the upcoming prarie dog hunt. Hopefully it is a real tack driver. If it is I may further customize it out by stripping the blueing and doing a duracoat job on it. Metalic green maybe? We'll see.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
I just finished bedding the forend last night and popped the mold. It turned out pretty good for my first time trying it on an H&R synthetic.

What did you use for a bedding compound. I have yet to find anything that will adhere to the synthetic stocks reliably.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »
Go down to a local auto body shop, they have a mix for gluing the plastic parts of cars back together. It is kind of pricey, but if you get to know one of the guys who might be a shooter........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
That's great news 8uck5nort, let us know how it does!  ;)

Dinny, try regular automotive "Bondo" body filler, I just used up the last of mine on the plastic discharge filler plate on my 42" mower deck to help seal it to the deck and provide better lift for the mulching blades, it seems to stick real good, still on there after a half dozen hour long cruises around the yard, it's not expensive either and relatively light, I'm not crazy about filling the cavity on the syn forend with extra weight, in fact that's why I haven't tried it yet.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
I use JBWeld on synthetic stocks. It does stick if you you really rough up the surfaces. I use a dremel drum sander and let the surface soak in brake cleaner to remove as much residue as possible. I slit the sides of the compartment with a dremel disk sander for some extra grip. Just be careful not to cut all the way through. I then drill a hole through the compartment walls to get a solid mechanical lock by allowing the JBWeld to flow through. I added some old cut up carbon arrow shaft to act as anchors. I make my own pillars out of brass pipes and use the dremel to increase the inside diameter if needed to fit the barrel piller/screw.

I actually wanted the extra weight because this is going to be a dedicated varmint rifle. I might add weight to the butt stock to increase it even more.

I have used this technique on a ATI MN 91/30 stock and it has held up so far. I have shot that rifle well over 100 times with nothing coming loose. Pretty accurate rifle when I replaced the military trigger with a Timney. I am getting ready to do this to another ATI stock, but this one is on a .303 Lee Enfield.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
why not arcraglas

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »
why not arcraglas

Won't stick to polypropylene very well. Neither will devcon or any of the other usual bedding compounds. I have a few ideas, but will try them before I make a post. ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 01:49:08 AM »
why not arcraglas
Cost. JBWeld is cheaper. Dinny is right. Synthetic stocks are difficult to bed because of adhesion, or lack thereof in this case. You have to create a really rough surface and more to create mechanical locks once the epoxy of choice hardens. I am sure there are products out there that actually create a chemical bond with the surface, but it would be pricey to use in quantities needed to fill the compartments. This is best way I have come up with so far that works (for now) and doesn't cost more than the stock itself.