Author Topic: I need advice.  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
I need advice.
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
Here's the short story.
My fiancee's daughter and son in law Joe have invited us out to Washington state this fall during elk season. Joe is an elk hunter and has asked me if I would like to get a license and hunt with him. :D
Problem is... We don't have many elk here in upstate NY ::) so I don't know ANYTHING about them. I have hunted Canadian moose several times and I understand that elk are somewhat smaller than moose. Is this correct?
While moose hunting I used a 30-06 with 220gr. ammo and would probably use the same for elk.
What do you guys think or recommend? Keep in mind... I know NOTHING about elk.
Thanks.

Spanky

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Re: I need advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:49:13 AM »
If you can't Kill an elk with the old standby 30-06 it is time to move to the 105 or155 howitzer  ;D Just about any bullet from 150gr up will do a nice job as long as it is placed right. Happy Hunting
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »
The '06 with 180 or 220 grain slugs will do fine.  Dad carried a 30-40 for years and took a lot of em with 180 grain slugs.

I've taken elk with rifles as small as a 25-35 but you have to place the bullet properly.

Depending on what part of Washington you will be hunting in you may be dealing with ranges from a few yards, east side of the State, to very long ranges on the west side.  Usually it's 100 to 400 yards IME.

Take advantage of the opportunity, elk are mighty tasty eating.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
Congrats on the opportunity Spanky! I've killed dozens of elk here in Washington, some with a 30-06, but most with a 308 Win, both using 180gr bullets, factory Remington Core-lokts for the most part, and several with Winchester Failsafes and a couple with Nosler Partitions, ranges typically 100-150yds, the biggest a 5-point bull at about 50yds with the 308 Win, he wobbled and fell over. Either will work just fine if you put the bullet where it needs to be.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips fellas. I've never even seen an elk so I'm looking forward to it. ;D

Spanky

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
Spanky- My Dad killed his elk with a .270 and I believe 150 gr Speer Grand slam bullets. I have never got to shoot one, Dad took me along once and we watched a cow and two calves but we had bull tags. I carried a 25-06 but never got to see how it performed.
I am sure your 30-06 will be very much up for the challenge. Good luck, Don't forget the pics when you post after the trip.... We all enjoy the hunt that way. Take care, thejanitor

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
The women kept yelling and pointing her rifle with intent to do harm. The rancher said ok lady its your elk,just let me get my saddle off it.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »
The women kept yelling and pointing her rifle with intent to do harm. The rancher said ok lady its your elk,just let me get my saddle off it.

Hehehehehe... that's too funny. ;D

Spanky

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »
I guess someone should mention that they are a little bigger than a mule deer, but not nearly so big as moose.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »
I know NOTHING about elk.

Spanky

Bulls are the ones with the headgear. ::)   Good friend of mine was elk hunting in Idaho about 20+ years ago with his BIL who happened to be an Idaho conversation officer.  My friend had a cow only tag, saw a cow, and then picked up the wrong elk in his scope and dropped a spikehorn bull.  Several thousand dollars later he was finished with the event but I don't think his brother in law has asked him to hunt elk again. 

Enjoy your hunt Spanky, I am very envious.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
Did some hunting in my youth on the Eastern slope of the Canadian Rockies. Never managed to get an elk in my sights, but my dad and his buddies used .308 Win and .303 British. (Dad was in the Canadian army and they were used to the .303 from WW2 and Korea, and 7.62x51 NATO in their FN/FAL rifles).

I don't know what bullets they used, they were all factory loads, no reloading by anybody. And more than once we were eating elk via .303 BR and .308 Win. My dad called his Husqvarna .308 lightweight his "elephant" gun, saying he would be fine taking it elephant hunting. BTW he was a trained sniper.

My first centerfire rifle was a Parker Hale sporter .303 BR, and I was confident to shoot anything from a whitetail to a moose at the time. We could get tags for deer, elk, woodland caribou, moose, and black and grizzly bears in those days (mid '60s).

By the way Spanky ,one of the things you will find out about elk is that they are delicious.  ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
Haven't ever hunted Elk but there is a small herd that makes a trek through our place every April, like clockwork. From what I have read, the Roosevelt Elk that reside in the Northwest are the largest of the Elk species. A typical mature cow can weigh 600+ pounds and a mature bull can top 900 pounds. The ones I've seen here in Oregon are impressive.Sounds like a great opportunity Spanky, best of luck to you.

Bill

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
Off Topic - sort of...
How about any of us who are in the area, who can make it, arrange a get together and take Spanky out to dinner after his hunt. Kinda like the western version of the Prairie Dog get together except we won't be shootin' anything.

Don't know exactly where you'll be hunting Spanky, but I'd love to be able to meet you, it just seems a neighborly thing to do.  :D

Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Spencer, Carey

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
Sir, while more than adequate, I wouldnt use that 220gr load for your Wapiti hunt if shooting your 'o6 because you are significantly reducing your effective range. A premium modern 180gr. SPBT (I'd go Nosler Partition in case the shot came at a very short distance and over expansion was possible. They do hole up in thick timber after all.).30cal bullet will carry/retain speed/energy significantly better than that 220 FBRN, and within reasonable distances, will do a fine job. Good luck! 

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 09:07:50 PM »
Never shot an elk, but agree with Spencer.  A high BC 180g bullet is what my father always used in his 06.  He was an old time rifleman... customized Springfield '03 and hit what he shot at.

Enjoy the hunt.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
Off Topic - sort of...
How about any of us who are in the area, who can make it, arrange a get together and take Spanky out to dinner after his hunt. Kinda like the western version of the Prairie Dog get together except we won't be shootin' anything.

Don't know exactly where you'll be hunting Spanky, but I'd love to be able to meet you, it just seems a neighborly thing to do.  :D

Kerry

Sounds like a good idea, but I'll be huntin elk then too(Nov 5-15), so depends on where and when he show up here.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »
Led many a young GI to their Elk in New Mexico.  Shot a few myself.  All using a 30-06.  I recommend the 180gr bullet.  The only problem with the 200 or the 220gr is range.  Up close they can not be beat, but out at ranges of 300 to 400 yards the 180 passes them.  The 180 is considered the optimum weight bullet for the 30-06.  Use what ever style and brand bullet you are comfortable with, they are all good.  Personally I would chose the Nosler Partition, or the Nosler Accubond.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »
Yep, but maybe we can still pull something together depending on how long he's gonna be out this way... never know until we ask. ;D ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 04:57:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the 180's. I like the Nosler Partition too.
A get together with some of you guys sounds great... it would be nice to put a face to the name. ;D

Spanky

Offline jabey9210

• Trade Count: (4)
  • the boys first dog and yep that's a Handi !!!
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »
Use which ever load you are most familiar and comfortable with.  I live in Idaho and have been hunting elk as long as I can remember and until recently have always used a 30-06 in fact most all of my family did with the occasional .270 thrown in the mix and growing up we always used factory 165 grainers and I don't ever remember it not being enough punch for an elk considering you did you part with the placement.  And I've seen plenty of elk fall after being hit with both 150 gr and 140gr 270 slugs so whichever load you choose with the 06 I'm sure you'll be more than fine.  Good luck and have fun!!!
2-.223's,2-.243's, 4-22lr's, 357, 45LC, 7mm-08, .280, 30-06, 2-4/10's, 20ga, 12ga. and a custom savage 7mmWSM...

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
30-06 with 180gr Nosler Partitions should put meat in the freezer if you do your part.  Good luck on your hunt!!

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »
An old boy I worked with in Oregon got his elk every year and swore by his old model 94 Winchester .30-30.  I think his other gun was a .22 for pest patrol around the farm.  But then he lived right there and knew where to hunt to get close.  The .30-06 should do you fine.  I believe Sourdough uses his NEF in that caliber for moose.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »
Yep, that 30-06 is good for anything from prairie dogs to Moose and whatever else walks the north American continent.

Pick the right bullet and your good to go!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 12:43:17 PM »
Any rifle with 150 +  gr bullet, caliber  depends on how far you plan to shoot. We hunt them with bows and have no problem.Shot placement is more important than what sent it. Their fun to hunt and you will never forget the sound they make. Good luck